Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Honest Brownell Opinion
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

Honest Brownell Opinion

Dec 23, 2015, 3:13 PM

I came on here a few times last year and gave a similar stat, and here it is updated to reflect the end of last season and the beginning of this one - Since the 2012-13 season, Clemson is 12-42 when giving up 60+ points and an even worse 6-34 when allowing 65+. Interpret that as you wish.

Here's my opinion: Brownell will be kept around for another year to see how things go in the new arena, facilities, etc., so he will have those to brag on to try to rejuvenate recruiting and potentially the overall program. As a student at Clemson, I get the sense that guys aren't crazy about playing for him. For a while it looked like his teams really bought into his system of playing hard-nosed defense and being in a number of close games. I think the reason you see guys transferring out of the program (Djambo, Filer, Rooks, and Ajukwa, to name a few) is a sign that his system isn't an attractive one and it's not getting the job done - see the above statistic.

Some people buy into the idea that the program would be better off if there were better student and fan support, and I can confidently say that there was pretty solid support my freshman year (KJ's last year before turning pro). This was when Coach Brownell ran a slightly more up-tempo, free-flowing system. I don't think we see this anymore, even though we have a player in Grantham with a relatively similar skill set.

I don't have an answer for who DRad will turn to next, but hopefully there will be a candidate or two after next year, if that's when the trigger is pulled.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Honest Brownell Opinion

Dec 23, 2015, 3:25 PM

sad to opine, but a bb team is not going to score anymore in Littlejohn year one, two, or three. DRad should cut his losses. I have never liked BB's on court demeanor with his players and I imagine the players don't like it either. Let's move on.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Class of ‘71. Went through “rat season” and glad I did.

Dec 23, 2015, 3:49 PM

A couple of points to yours. Grantham in my opinion is no where near the player as KJ was. I know Grantham came in with a lot of pub, but he has not lived up to the billing as of yet. He is only in the second year, but to me he has been a bit of a disappointment so far. The guys who have transferred out are not setting the basketball world on fire elsewhere. That leads me to believe that they were midmajor talents at best. This years team lacks the on ball defenders that we have seen in the past. Someone may emerge, but as of now that is missing. Rod Hall was a pretty good on ball defender and none of the guards possess that quality. I was hoping Brownell could be successful, but I'm beginning to have my doubts.

Dec 23, 2015, 3:55 PM

I agree that Grantham has underwhelmed a little bit, but I would say that adds to my point - he would be a lot better off in a system that gives freedom to natural scorers. I'm not really sure what to call our system, but I wouldn't call it that.

Dec 23, 2015, 4:17 PM

Our defense has been terrible this year for the most part and if Brownell's calling card of D is not working then he must GO and sooner rather than later!

Our system is "mid western" Church League

Dec 23, 2015, 7:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Honest Brownell Opinion ]

very orchestrated, predictable "pattern basketball" ... works well at the High School, small College level ... but in the Big Leagues, its EZ to defend ... players with real talent stagnate

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 23, 2015, 4:21 PM

Im not sure what went wrong offensively so many years. I mean it seems most of our players just cant put the ball in the basket. I am fine with being a dominant defensive team but losing 58-45 is just as bad as losing 83-70. I really wanted him to be able to recruit to the new Arena because I heard how bad and far behind LittleJohn has been but im not sure fanbase morale will last that long.

Football is good,

Baseball is re-energized,

Basketball now has all of the negative attention.

If he can pull a miracle win out of his hat sometime this year, maybe he survives or maybe his contract buyout saves him. I would love for him to turn it around but only time will tell.

Dec 23, 2015, 5:21 PM

It will only set the program back another year if Brownell isn't replaced at the end of the season. He wasn't able to recruit any of the high level basketball talent in the state of South Carolina this year and it is rare the state has 4 high level players who can get into college. He should have been able to sell the New Little John this year, because the 2016 class would play in the New Little John next year. Brownell problem is very simple he just doesn't have enough good players, and he doesn't appear to be able to get them to Clemson.

With the right coach Clemson can win, OP won at Clemson and I know a lot of people didn't like his style of basketball I happen to enjoy OP teams. I think we should go after Greg Narshall and give him whatever he wants to come to Clemson. He can win at Clemson and do it with a style of play that most Clemson fans would enjoy.

Two main problems IMO

Dec 23, 2015, 7:33 PM

1. Brownell and his staff have absolutely no clue on how to develop talent. That's why so many players transfer... and why those who stay (Blossomgame, Grantham, NNOKO) aren't getting better - they are REGRESSING.

2. No rhyme or reason on offense; no discernible rotation or strategy. Just pass it around until the shot clock is drained and we're forced to take a shot. Any shot. Good coaches have strong half-court strategy; Mr. X's and O's doesn't seem to have it.

It's enough already. It was clear after last season.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fantastic and real post ...

Dec 23, 2015, 7:45 PM

Honest and straightforward. Excellent use of data.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic