Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Here is the list of teams that outrecruited us with both
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Here is the list of teams that outrecruited us with both

Jan 13, 2019, 7:02 AM

the previous 2 year and 5 year rankings going into the season this year

Alabama
Georgia
Oh St
USC
Florida St
ND
Auburn
LSU

with Penn St, Miami and Oklahoma trending up compared with the Tigers

We haven't missed on any recruit. We just made the ones we took better than the ones that didn't have what it takes to be here anyway.

article from a year ago

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2018/2/8/16990550/college-football-recruiting-rankings-2018-class

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Here is the list of teams that outrecruited us with both

Jan 13, 2019, 8:20 AM

And here's a list of those teams ranked above us for the 2018 season.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 13, 2019, 2:09 PM

That's a might short list Joe!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

perhaps

Jan 13, 2019, 9:19 AM

the method by which they rank recruiting is not so accurate. Dabo recruits good kids who are athletic and BOOM, they shine.

I'd like to see a list of our top performers with their recruiting ranking. Bet that would be interesting.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Re: perhaps

Jan 13, 2019, 2:02 PM

It would be cool to see ratings by player depending on the team/system they are going to. For example a player may be a 4 star in one system but a 5 star in another. Players like Vic Beasley Ben Boulwate come to mind. They excelled in our system and Indknt think they would have anywhere else.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the largest . .

Jan 13, 2019, 2:06 PM [ in reply to perhaps ]

inaccuracy is that they base it on total recruits. That, for any team, will change from year to year. The amount of kids recruited depends on how many are leaving. You could lead the country in recruiting with all 3 star kids.

Jim Grobe once stated . . .

Jan 13, 2019, 2:16 PM [ in reply to perhaps ]

“I recruit Character and Speed first, everything else I can coach.”

Isn’t it grand that we have men leading our team that can coach Character also?!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Everyone talks rankings

Jan 13, 2019, 10:40 AM

By bunch of semi-knowlegable talking heads. Seldom do the same heads talk player development.
I suppose when our coaches are winning national awards that says something. Still, there should be a system to rate development.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, that happened throughout the entire season.***

Jan 13, 2019, 11:27 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 13, 2019, 11:00 AM

Bowl game results:

Alabama - L
Georgia - L
Oh St - W
USC - No bowl
Florida St - No bowl
ND - L
Auburn - W
LSU - W
Penn St - L
Miami - L
Oklahoma - L
UofSuC - blanked

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Jan 13, 2019, 11:17 AM

Very good post...and actually a question I had in my head.

On paper Clemson is a bottom-of-the-Top-10-type team if you just evaluate off our alleged recruiting rankings. We do not recruit like the elite blue-bloods - again, on paper at least - but it's fascinating that no team in America out-performs its rankings and has a higher "hit rate" on players than Clemson does.

Again, one thing to consider is that character in no way shows up in recruiting rankings. Players are evaluated based on perceived athletic potential...and that's it. And it's always the off-the-field so-called "intangibles" - intelligence, coachability, work ethic, character - that so often ultimately determine success on the field.

You get no bonus points in recruiting rankings for avoiding the bad apples.

Imo, coachability, work ethic and character are...

Jan 13, 2019, 11:31 AM

all synonymous. Intelligence can be developed with anyone who has those characteristics and applies them toward education.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was listening to the recruiting show that comes on

Jan 13, 2019, 11:54 AM [ in reply to Re: Here is the list of teams that outrecruited us with both ]

SiriusXM 84 (Recruiting Nation) one night, and the guy (Tom Luginbill) said that a 5-star is evaluated on everything imaginable. People that rate these guys as 5-star go out and talk to their family, friends, coaches, scour their social media, etc... He commented during that show, that they do evaluate more than athletic ability.

Now high-character can be defined many ways, and Dabo and Co. may have a different moral compass than many.

Re: I was listening to the recruiting show that comes on

Jan 13, 2019, 1:55 PM

Sorry ... I don’t believe for a moment that recruiting services do any sort of in-depth character analysis.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree, Apex...

Jan 13, 2019, 2:28 PM

Not buying it. Luginbill, might, but on the whole, you can look at the programs some of these 'stars' sign with and straight away, you know character/ethics/integrity never entered the picture.

Several other overlooked aspects of the star ratings are:
1. Really good players who shy away from the combines/camps/7v7 circuits...and I'd submit that actually speaks to their character. They're not 'spotlight' guys, by and large
2. The highest classifications in states' high schools will naturally garner the most attention for the best players. By simple omission, excellent players at lower classifications get overlooked, right, ETN? (I know, he was committed to A&M, but look at the RB's targeted ahead of him). Who was scouring Jennings, LA for players?

I'll overlook some players, but a few 'late on the radar' players that Clemson have landed under Dabo are Sensabaugh, TJ Green, Isaiah Simmons, and Mario Goodrich. To my recollection, nothing was heard of them until January of their NSD years. I'm sure some T-Netters will recall others. Regardless, it's a testament to this staff's ability and patience in identifying talent...talent that can be 'grown' beyond what stars suggested.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They might, but the thing is they can't do it for everyone

Jan 13, 2019, 2:57 PM [ in reply to Re: I was listening to the recruiting show that comes on ]

He only mentions 5 stars here. I'm sure high 4*s kind of get lumped in here as well, but we are still probably only talking about the top 100 or so prospects. These are also largely the same guys that get invited to the elite camps. The top recruits in every class get scouted a lot, and I'm sure there's some pretty in depth scouting involved when they are determining the top guys at each position, state, etc.

The thing is though, that's still just a small fraction of total recruits. The rest of these guys get scouted much, much less. That's where guys really fall through the cracks.

Jan 13, 2019, 11:19 AM

ND recruits use to get a major bump by committing to ND. Not sure if it is near as bad as 10 years ago or so? Back when Tom Lemming had an impression on ratings

All evidence indicates that we got...

Jan 13, 2019, 11:26 AM

the best players and the scouting/ranking services may be considered a service only to fans. That's what I'm going with.

We didn't necessary get the best players to begin with

Jan 13, 2019, 2:59 PM

It's possible that they were all undervalued, but it's also possible that our staff just did a better job motivating and coaching them.

Jan 13, 2019, 11:44 AM

Do we really need the disrespect card? We are low on recruiting rankings nearly always because of quantity. Our class from last year brought our ranking DOWN for the multi-year rankings. The class that had the duo that hooked up for 301 yds and 3 TD's in the playoffs alone. Nearly everyone else in the class is looking great as well. XT, KJ Henry, Kendrick, McMichael, … We will never rank high because we make a commitment to the young men we recruit rather than kicking them to the curb like other programs do to make room for bigger classes. Let's face it. If last year's class was not going to be #2 behind Georgia (yes I understand they would be #1 looking at it after the fact), it is unlikely that we are ever at the top.

Jan 13, 2019, 2:46 PM

For 2018 we rank 8th in players in the NFL. This is in line with pur recruiting. Clemson has also cinished higher ghsn it's preseason ranking 8 (iirc) years in a row, the current record. What this tells me is we get top 10 talent but also develop talent to fit our needs better than others.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic