Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hard to see so many people down on my beloved Tiger baseball team
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Hard to see so many people down on my beloved Tiger baseball team

Apr 20, 2019, 12:18 AM

Understandable for everyone to be disappointed in our baseball team and knee jerk reactions are just frustration rearing it’s ugly head. I love my Tiger baseball, have my whole life and yearn for the Wilhelm days to return as so many others.

I fully support Monte and honestly think he’ll get there, however, I would caution him too for having knee jerk reactions and making changes just for the sake of change as he has alluded to in several pressers this week.

As pointed out to me from smokepurpleliveorange , I didn’t know Teo was hurt. I made a wrong assumption that he had been benched. Everyone is down on Teo for his slump but he’s our best outfielder and is due to break out of his hitting slump. I don’t share those sentiments that he should be benched. I hope he heals fast because we need his defense.

2nd- hall has been spectacular at second base. Byrd needs to stay at 3rd. I love greene but honestly, imo shouldn’t be in the lineup except mid week games.

3rd- have no idea why Monte isn’t using hackenberg? As a DH when sharpe is pitching.

4th- our batters could learn a lot from Duke and their approach at the plate. They seem to have learned how to go with the pitch and use the whole field. Aka not swinging for the fence.

Lastly- I know peeps are down on our closers but we’ve got good closers. Weatherly is not one of them. I feel Monte has made a bad decision based on some good innings and pitching in our mid week games against second tier teams. His control and command of his pitches aren’t there.

Monte imo doesn’t seem to have a “feel “ for the game like a couple great coaches before him did. He has to feel Sam’s about to over correct after walking two batters. That was the time to take him out right after that second walk. IMO these last two games are on Monte. Doesn’t mean I don’t like or support Monte because I do. He’s got to grow as a coach too. Just like Dabo has.

We have a great group of guys that are busting their butt to win. They’ll turn it around and make a regional. Growing pains... just like Dabo experienced, but we’re getting better talented players so it make take patience. Also think people need to realize we are young and we are down some good players due to injury.

Go Tigers!!!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The fun is in the winning.

Apr 20, 2019, 2:50 AM

We average over 1 error per game. I don’t have the detailed stats but it feels like Byrd at 3rd is an error waiting to happen.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Byrd looks like a deer in the headlights at third

Apr 20, 2019, 9:03 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hard to see so many people down on my beloved Tiger baseball team

Apr 20, 2019, 3:10 AM

Excellent review of the current situation - kerigantoo.... Feel like Monte will continue to grow too - at least hopefully...,,

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Apr 20, 2019, 8:11 AM

Thank you.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 20, 2019, 3:10 AM

Excellent review of the current situation - kerigantoo.... Feel like Monte will continue to grow too - at least hopefully...,,

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Ktoo - thanks for being a baseball junkie!!!

Apr 20, 2019, 8:16 AM

Love hearing your views . . . Please stay active the rest of the season!!!

#4 (above) is GOLDEN and my biggest bone of contention w/ our team, but I promised not to fight Monte’s philosophy earlier this year

Every player we have tries to pull breaking balls which are outside, breaking away . . . all game long . . . Simple physics will show you that is impossible . . . hands must be delayed and the pitch must be stroked to the opposite field . . . we can expect a steady diet of junk until we adapt

I stated yesterday that Teodosio would have made the play to end the game last night (I, too, didn’t know he was hurt) . . . a few disagreed . . . but they don’t recognize the jumps he gets and the ground he can cover!!! He is a must for our success . . . His defense far outweighs his slump at the plate!!!

I love Byrd’s presence at the plate . . . but he is a major liability ANYWHERE in the field . . . Monte must choose his poison . . . for me, Byrd would have to be taken out late in games when an error will cost you the game

The boys will rebound!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ktoo - thanks for being a baseball junkie!!!

Apr 20, 2019, 9:33 AM

Since I can’t make it to many games, I have to rely on you all that go to the games and know a heck of a lot more than I do.

I really appreciate all the responses.

Re: Ktoo - thanks for being a baseball junkie!!!

Apr 20, 2019, 10:14 AM

I am 4.5 hrs away and only make one series per year - sad!!!

I watch almost all the games on the "watch espn app" . . . at least I get to watch it live

You know more than you'll admit so keep chatting about our diamond boys!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, it is hard. Unfortunately they've certainly earned it.

Apr 20, 2019, 8:25 AM

Hopefully they'll all get their heads straight, turn things around, and finish strong. Much better to have had a mid-season slump then at the end. I never expected this poor play after the first two weeks where they made almost no errors. Baseball is a funny game. And sometimes its so funny it's not funny at all.

i Don’t believe the coach is going

Apr 20, 2019, 8:52 AM

To change his approach to the game. Many coaches prefer the long ball as opposed to station to station ball and that is ok along as you have the talent to play that way. The way the Tigers play isn’t likely to change any time soon. I can’t think of a particular area of the game where the Tigers are especially strong. But they are good enough to play winning baseball and will have a good season. Likely not to make it very far when the playoffs begin. As a fan you can’t be to critical of a coach,regardless of the sport, because you aren’t around the team every day and have no idea what goes on within the inter workings of the team. The Tigers have some very tough games coming up in the next few weeks and hopefully by then we will improve enough to be a challenge to everyone that we play. Go Tigers .

Re: i Don’t believe the coach is going

Apr 20, 2019, 9:51 AM

Totally. Monte’s first class (many he didn’t recruit because so late) was the 16 class. Final rankings were 34th. Included Wilkie, holt jones, Spiers, Greene. Not a lot of highly rated players but imo they’re performing decent... but can’t expect them to be consistently top tier talent.

Then 17 class rank #11 and that’s the new kids hall, bo, Teo, Henderson askew, strider , kier etc that are just now starting to produce. Unfortunately, 4, now 5 with Teo are on the DL.

So we can see the progression that gives me a lot of confidence going forward.

As a side note, uga has been recruiting lights out the last few years. Just now it’s coming to fruition. Really hoping Monte can get us back into the top ten recruiting. Talent makes a difference.

Re: Yes, it is hard. Unfortunately they've certainly earned it.

Apr 20, 2019, 9:35 AM [ in reply to Yes, it is hard. Unfortunately they've certainly earned it. ]

Well said BengalBilly!!!! Well said.

Byrd is a HUGE liability at third base IMO...

Apr 20, 2019, 8:49 AM

He's good for at least one critical error per game when he play's third.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Byrd is a HUGE liability at third base IMO...

Apr 20, 2019, 8:58 AM

Love my Tigers too.... but we give away too many games via walks, errors etc.Not a good sign of a good and discipline team. We have lost our last 4 conference games to bottom tier teams in the conference. I am not sure why we are so accepting, unless our prior national ranking did not correctly value our team.

Apr 20, 2019, 9:16 AM

Good post Kerigan

Apr 20, 2019, 11:07 AM

Been following Tiger baseball since the mid 50's. What we've got here is failure to communicate. I don't remember a more undisciplined and inconsistent team than this one. Some say that the team and Monte need to grow. Listen, Monte, has been a head coach for 11 years, if he has not learned the nuances of the game by now he needs to take some Miracle Grow. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results, well you know the answer. As a team we have only I believe 11 sac bunts all year. We can't manufacture runs and I think we are not interested in learning how. To date we have been the bridesmaid and never the bride. I am not sure Monte is the one that will take us to the alter. I hope I am wrong.

Apr 20, 2019, 11:18 AM

There is much parody in college baseball today. Tigers need to get some momentum closing out the season and make a run in the regionals. They do appear to be swinging for the fences at times though. Need more contact and less Ks. I think they will get it together.

Apr 20, 2019, 11:49 AM

These next 2 games especially today’s game are big. The team is going to do either 1 or 2 things.
1- Be very mad they gave away last night ,come out fired up and stop the bleeding.
2- come out playing like they have and a fired up Duke team will take them to the woodshed.
The next 2 weekend series will be ones we need that confidence back.
NCST and GT are very good teams heck even WF has a decent team.
We lose to Duke and this season just might slip a lot further away.

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic