Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
HAHAHA Saying he controlled that ball...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1,915

HAHAHA Saying he controlled that ball...

Dec 1, 2018, 5:29 PM

Man they are gunning for two teams in...

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: HAHAHA Saying he controlled that ball...

Dec 1, 2018, 5:32 PM

Did control it...all you gotta do is break the plain with the ball in hand...he did that...come on man be logical.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Dec 1, 2018, 5:37 PM

But he didn't do that. He just touched the ball and never had 'control' of it once it was in the end zone. The only possible way it somewhat looked like that was slow-mo.

But maybe they're just saying the word control and it doesn't actually mean control when it comes to the end zone. I don't study the rule book so you tell me.

If the same thing had happened and the ball was sitting there in the endzone and then he reached out with his pinky finger and clearly touched it as delicately as possible would that have been a touchdown too?

Seriously asking, because I know the rule about just having to break the plane and then you can instantly lose it, but I never knew the specifics on if it was fumbled into the endzone do you just simply have to brush against it or poke it with your hand? Or do you have to have control as in the traditional sense like they judge whether a receiver has made a completion or a drop?

He held the ball up with BOTH hands

Dec 1, 2018, 5:40 PM

lying on his back. I know the SEC refs protect Bama, but not on this play.

Re: He held the ball up with BOTH hands

Dec 1, 2018, 5:45 PM

In slow-mo yes, he did. IN real time he tried to grab it and lost his grasp with it instantly slipping out of his hands. Go back and watch it if you can rewind.

Please explain this to me because I clearly don't understand it.

He didn't just throw it up in the air because he wanted to after trying to grab it. He failed at successfully trying to pick it up and get a hold on it.

So in my mind, if that happens in the middle of the field and guys were doing the butterfinger routine one after the other they don't just instantly blow the whistle and award possession if a guy tries and fails to pick a regular fumble up like that.

So is it different in the endzone to the point where you don't actually have to really have a firm hold on it? You can try to pick it up, it slip out of your hands immediately and that's a score?

That's why in Real Time was called a fumble

Dec 1, 2018, 5:47 PM

In Review it was called a TD because he controlled it.

Dec 1, 2018, 5:40 PM [ in reply to Re: HAHAHA Saying he controlled that ball... ]

Or are you saying you actually thought the ball broke the plane before he was initially down after dropping it into the endzone? Because he didn't 'control' it across the goal line. He lost it across it.

Dec 1, 2018, 5:45 PM

He regained control after he lost it . It's not really that complicated .

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It seems to be

Dec 1, 2018, 5:47 PM

LOL

Dec 1, 2018, 5:50 PM [ in reply to Re: HAHAHA Saying he controlled that ball... ]

Well Jesus I seriously must be blind, high or both because here is what I saw...

The runner lying on the ground ball sitting on the ground in the endzone, he grabs for it meaning obviously it has to go in an upward direction to be picked up and then when his hands are trying to clasp it firmly it continue to sail upward and out of his hands back into the endzone.

So that's not what happened on your TV? Cool.

My #### DVR just rebooted itself for no reason but let me know if you see a link to the clip online somewhere. I'd like to see it again.

Dec 1, 2018, 5:59 PM

It came out of his hands because a Georgia player knocked it out, not because he didn’t have control.

it was legit***

Dec 1, 2018, 5:50 PM [ in reply to Re: HAHAHA Saying he controlled that ball... ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: it was legit***

Dec 1, 2018, 5:53 PM

Trust me. I believe you guys because not a single person has agreed with me. I just really saw a guy trying to pick a ball up and failing to do so.

Are you guys saying if that had happened with a fumble at midfield that would be sufficient to blow the whistle and give them the ball if he did the identical thing at midfield?

And yeah in slow-mo it looks like he had it between his two hands for longer....obviously. I think that's obvious at least. But right now who knows.

At midfield

Dec 1, 2018, 5:57 PM

the call may have been different, i’m not sure but when you break the plane of the end zone if you fumble afterwards it doesn’t matter as long as you had control as you broke the plane.... so the case here is he had control, in the end zone, even for just a second before they knocked it out.

This is a prime example of why replays should only be decided

Dec 1, 2018, 6:02 PM [ in reply to Re: it was legit*** ]

at normal speed and not slow-mo.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 1, 2018, 6:03 PM [ in reply to Re: it was legit*** ]

I didn't want it to be a touchdown, but it was. As soon as the ball was "controlled" by grasping it in both hands, it was a touchdown. It was obvious to me.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 1, 2018, 6:07 PM

Ok I hear you...but would you seriously say that was control as well and they'd have blown the whistle if he tried to recover it and instantly lost it before his hands had stopped their movement in the direction in which he tried to pick it up....anywhere else on the field?

Honestly, I feel that ball was flying out of his hands since he was precariously holding it up once again like a ball on a tee...whether the Georgia player ever touched it or not.

And honestly, if you think about it, that kind of sucks for Georgia if that made it 'unclear' as to whether he would have lost it or really had it simply because their player tried to grab for it as well.

Dec 1, 2018, 5:53 PM

It was a Bama TD no doubt about it

Dec 1, 2018, 6:00 PM

Just had a chance to see them play it back during the half and he was trying to pick it up and had both hands on the bottom of the ball and its trajectory was upward and pointed in the air like a ball on a tee at the top of his hands and then a Georgia player almost instantly touched it as well and it went sailing out immediately and that was in slow-mo and it was bang bang...shrugs.

So anyways, can someone bite on my question and actually nut up and claim that if he had fumbled at midfield and grabbed at it in an identical way with it instantly flying/getting knocked out of his hands to a Georgia player that ended up hugging it indefinitely. Any of you actually claiming Bama would have gotten the ball back at midfield? :) Again he didn't let go of it on purpose. And I've never seen a fumble anywhere else outside of the end zone be considered to have been controlled and recovered that way.

And by no means am I pulling for either of them. Obviously don't want two SEC teams in CFBP again.

Dec 1, 2018, 6:02 PM

I agree with the OP. Shocker I know.

I didn’t think he had the ball long enough to establish possession.

If they were trying to determine whether it was a complete pass and fumble or incompletion that wouldn’t have been long enough to establish the catch. Seen that call many times.

Bama got a gift there....

Dec 1, 2018, 6:04 PM

OMG...someone agreed with me. Honestly just shocked by that at this point. Thanks!

Dec 1, 2018, 6:13 PM

Anyways, thanks for those that gave their opinion and I am just going to say that I disagree all of you that said he had control simply because none of you wanna touch my hypothetical about 'what if it had happened at midfield' with a 10 foot pole.

Or maybe just nobody cares enough to speculate on that scenario.

Anyways, it's all good. As long as we just play our game the way we can no matter who lines up against us each week.

Dec 2, 2018, 8:24 AM

Was searching around some on the net to see what people were saying about the goal line fumble and funny enough ran across this...almost identical type of thing that worked out for Bama in 2017 as well. Curious how things always seem to go there way ;)

Initially, based on the article's title I thought it was talking about this game since it's worded in a way that would fit it just as well.

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2017/10/sec_explains_why_alabama_got_b.html

And also was interesting to see that on CBS Sports Twitter page, it was almost the exact opposite of the consensus here in regard to whether he ever reestablished 'control' or not.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiQmLj3nIHfAhWN3oMKHe4KASQQwqsBMAB6BAgGEAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2FCBSSports%2Fstatus%2F1068995792340426753&usg=AOvVaw1CtcUDkrFHdkNVmLG38jkl

And thinking back at all the fumbles into the end zone in all the games of the past that I remember it is always like that with both teams grabbing at it squirting out, getting knocked out, batted around until someone manages to catch it right in their gut and hug it tight in the fetal position to protect themselves from a pile on.

Again, I wasn't pulling for either team and don't have a 'dawg' in the fight so to speak, but I will say that situation had be reversed, Georgia would have NEVER gotten that call overturned.

It was a huge turning point in the game because if he had stood it would have almost been a back breaker for Bama ending the half like that and coming out down by 2 TD's.

Replies: 22
| visibility 1,915
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic