Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Brownell coaching tree growing
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 2,884

Brownell coaching tree growing

Mar 28, 2018, 9:01 PM

from hoop dirt

HoopDirt.com can confirm a report that Nicholls State will promote Austin Claunch to head coach replacing his former boss Richie Riley who became the head coach at South Alabama earlier this month. Claunch beat out Houston assistant Quannas White, LSU-Alexandria head coach Larry Cordaro, and two junior college head coaches for the job.

Claunch was an administrative staffer at Clemson before coming with Riley to NSU. He worked as the Director of Player Development at George Mason before that.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Brownell coaching tree growing

Mar 30, 2018, 10:52 AM

Thank you for sharing. Great news!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and for those who hadn't heard.....

Mar 30, 2018, 11:05 AM

Earl Grant, current HC at CofC and former Brownell asst., got a raise and a contract extension a few days ago. Grant seems like a good guy and put together a heck of a Cougar squad this year. I can remember having a discussion on Tnet about how the play of Clemson's big men seemed to fall off a bit the year after Grant left to go to Charleston.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: and for those who hadn't heard.....

Mar 30, 2018, 11:11 AM

Grant didn't have any responsibility with the big men; he coached the guards. Coach Mike Winiecki was the one responsible for our big men. And as you mentioned, there was a drop off with that position, hence why he was fired.

Grant was also the lead recruiter for KJ McDaniels,

Mar 30, 2018, 11:32 AM

Jaron Blossomgame and Gabe Devoe.

I think he'll do well at CofC until some bigger program with a bigger purse comes coach shopping.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Grant was also the lead recruiter for KJ McDaniels,

Mar 30, 2018, 11:49 AM

Sorry to correct you again but Gabe Devoe's main recruiter was actually Brad Brownell. Earl Grant did bring in Rod Hall though

Sorry to have to correct you....(link)

Mar 30, 2018, 12:51 PM

but if you'll read paragraph 11 in the link provided below, it will verify my statement. Also, although I have no way of providing evidence, I heard Coach Brownell say on his call-in show the last year Grant was with the Tigers that he-d been working with the big men too....I suppose Wienecki's efforts were evident even then and Brownell was trying to shore up the staff.....

Good luck on your future endeavors

http://www.clemsontigers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=28500&ATCLID=205528957

Re: and for those who hadn't heard.....

Mar 31, 2018, 10:42 AM [ in reply to and for those who hadn't heard..... ]

Coach Grant was the guards coach at Clemsom. He took Coach Bender to CofC with him and in two seasons they flipped things around. Coach Bender is now responsible for the guards at Clemsom and I don’t think it’s a mistake in the progress they have made. He is also responsible for our three incoming recruits, Newman, Tyson & Jemison. The addition of Reynolds-Dean to work with the big men also shows a nice uptick in production. This staff is so on the right track. Plus you add in Bender’s X & O’s with Brownell’s, hell I just get giddy thinking about it.

Replies: 7
| visibility 2,884
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic