Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Okay. So the BEST Fried Green Tomatoes in Clemson -
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 62
| visibility 1

Okay. So the BEST Fried Green Tomatoes in Clemson -

Mar 31, 2019, 10:42 AM

who serves them? AND, whose should you avoid?

Asking for a friend.

Go Tigers.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't know if I have ever eaten a fried green tomato

Mar 31, 2019, 11:02 AM

and not really sure why anyone would want to. When I moved from the Calif I wanted to try grits after I realized that it was a real food. I thought it was just a name for food kinda like grub. I thought country ham was disgusting and now I love it, but other than that I don't really like southern food. I don't like fried anything other than a french fry.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't know if I have ever eaten a fried green tomato

Mar 31, 2019, 11:13 AM

Grits are more like a religion than a food. Properly done fried chicken might be the most underrated food in the history of the world. I never heard of fried green tomatoes until the movie came out, I think it’s something that a movie producer in California made up.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 31, 2019, 11:57 AM

Fannie Flagg wrote the book that inspired the movie. She is from down here in Alabama where fried green tomatoes are more of a thing than in my native SC. FYI.

Apr 1, 2019, 5:23 PM [ in reply to Re: I don't know if I have ever eaten a fried green tomato ]

O no! I love them and have eaten them since childhood and I am in oldhood and still love them.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tiger/Terrier

Apr 1, 2019, 8:15 PM

I with you. Have eaten them religiously for many years. They are great!!!

I have to wonder just what kinds of Southern Food you've....

Mar 31, 2019, 11:13 AM [ in reply to I don't know if I have ever eaten a fried green tomato ]

ever even tried? And unlike what the rest of the country seems to think, not all Southern Food has to be fried.

I'm guessing you don't really know what Southern Food is firsthand.

Re: I have to wonder just what kinds of Southern Food you've....

Mar 31, 2019, 11:20 AM

?? well said! It amazes me too how little people know of the other cultural influences that are woven into “southern” cuisine. African and French to a name a couple.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 31, 2019, 12:27 PM

So true. I think the best food in the USA is in Louisiana and it's heavily imbued with African and French. Not a lot of fried. Yay chicken gumbo, shrimp Creole, and crawfish etouffee!

Mar 31, 2019, 2:00 PM

Preach on!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've lived here almost 40 years***

Mar 31, 2019, 11:57 AM [ in reply to I have to wonder just what kinds of Southern Food you've.... ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yet your California heritage . . .

Mar 31, 2019, 1:54 PM

Shines through unblemished . . .

Bless your heart.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 31, 2019, 12:05 PM [ in reply to I don't know if I have ever eaten a fried green tomato ]

All the better for the resst of us, Neal.

Mar 31, 2019, 6:39 PM [ in reply to I don't know if I have ever eaten a fried green tomato ]

Fried food isn’t southern.

Besides the only thing California ever for the food world was use a spoon to scoop out an avocado and call it Californian.

I guess you have never tried some good, fried catfish??

Mar 31, 2019, 8:20 PM [ in reply to I don't know if I have ever eaten a fried green tomato ]

IF it's done right, hard to beat!

never even heard of them until the movie came out .....

Mar 31, 2019, 8:27 PM [ in reply to I don't know if I have ever eaten a fried green tomato ]

and I am from the south all my life... I think eating a fried green tomato was probably a way of eating a tomato before it was ripe because you were so poor that you were trying to make ends meet and get a cheap meal without having to wait ,but at the same time, you had to make the green tomato somewhat edible ... I never find myself ordering them , and I seldom ever see them on a menu , even in places that would have a lot of tomatoes, both red and green , available …..

You don't like

Mar 31, 2019, 8:30 PM [ in reply to I don't know if I have ever eaten a fried green tomato ]

pork barbecue?

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Thank you for sharing...big help***

Apr 1, 2019, 5:22 PM [ in reply to I don't know if I have ever eaten a fried green tomato ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 1, 2019, 7:43 PM [ in reply to I don't know if I have ever eaten a fried green tomato ]

Fried foods meh...... calabash is the worst.

But southern yes!
Shrimp and grits
Bacon eggs and grits
BBQ pulled with vinegar hot sauce
Real mashed potatoes
And most of all Krispy Kreme donuts. ??

Apr 1, 2019, 8:19 PM [ in reply to I don't know if I have ever eaten a fried green tomato ]

Cali? Really? The place that takes a little imitation crab, some cucumber, rice and seaweed, rolls it up to make a California roll and calls it sushi?

Apr 1, 2019, 8:48 PM [ in reply to I don't know if I have ever eaten a fried green tomato ]

Then why reply

Re: Okay. So the BEST Fried Green Tomatoes in Clemson -

Mar 31, 2019, 11:10 AM

I forget the name of the place but it was near Ram Cat Alley.

Mar 31, 2019, 11:12 AM

definitely do NOT try to order them at Super Taco.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Habanero's****

Mar 31, 2019, 11:16 AM

Mar 31, 2019, 12:08 PM [ in reply to Re: Okay. So the BEST Fried Green Tomatoes in Clemson - ]

Thought Super Taco closed. Are they back in biz? If so where?

Mar 31, 2019, 11:21 AM

Just had some at The Lighthouse on Lake Keowee that were excellent. It was unanimous by all at the table. This comes from old time southerners that know good fried food and fried tomatoes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree!!!***

Mar 31, 2019, 8:18 PM

Mar 31, 2019, 11:32 AM

Not in Clemson, but have had FGT north to south and east to west. Best I have had at a restaurant are Willy Taco, Spartanburg.

Mar 31, 2019, 5:41 PM

Where ever they come from, I hope DJ's Mom falls in love with them!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 2, 2019, 12:00 AM

Best FGT I gotten was @ Pages Okra Grill in James Island.

Avoid from The Esso. THey aren't bad, but far from great

Mar 31, 2019, 11:35 AM

I had some last Sunday before the basketball game.

Earle Street Kitchen in Anderson.***

Mar 31, 2019, 12:31 PM

Mar 31, 2019, 12:34 PM

I’m not a huge tomato guy. I don’t like them in salads or on a burger but will seldomly eat them in a club every once in a while. Having said that, fried green tomatoes are wonderful. They are absolutely delicious. And this is coming from someone who doesn’t like tomatoes. So for someone to say they don’t get why somebody would want them or don’t understand, you’ve probably never tried them. If you have and don’t like them then that’s understandable. My grandma use to make them and we all ate em and wanted more and more. I could have sat there and ate a plate full and had nothing else to go with it.

Mar 31, 2019, 2:07 PM

Then you’re gonna love when you happen upon a joint that makes a FGT BLT, blew your mind, say I didn’t, lol!

Mar 31, 2019, 5:46 PM

Now that does sound delicious.

Mar 31, 2019, 6:35 PM

There’s a place down here outside I’d Savannah just over the SC border called the sweet tea cafe that has one. Kind of a crappy location, but man, those things are good!

Mar 31, 2019, 12:38 PM

The Junction by far. A little ways out but good stuff!

https://www.thejunctionofgowensville.com/mobile/#home/index

Mar 31, 2019, 6:17 PM

They have some pretty awesome fried chicken and I always have some peach cobbler with vanilla ice cream .

Peach cobbler is even better with butter pecan ice cream!!

Mar 31, 2019, 8:27 PM

Beats the vanilla every time for me!

Mar 31, 2019, 12:42 PM

Wade’s in Spartanburg has the second best fried green tomatoes that I have ever eaten- my grandmother made the best, God rest her soul.

Mar 31, 2019, 1:48 PM

I'm 60, grew up 20 miles from Clemson and never heard of fried green tomatoes until about 15 years ago (and we ate out of the garden constantly). Having said that, I like them a lot now. Palmetto Smoke House in downtown Clemson makes some really good ones with a great sauce.

Apr 1, 2019, 8:55 PM

That would the only good thing they have. That place is awful

I actually find the fried green tomatoes at Fatz quite

Mar 31, 2019, 1:48 PM

delicious. They serve them over awesome stone ground grits with a tasty sauce on top.

Get to combine both fried green tomatoes and grits. Winning combination.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I actually find the fried green tomatoes at Fatz quite

Mar 31, 2019, 2:13 PM

Neil begs to differ.... Of course, he also wanted to end the season with the Pachanga. See how that worked out. Putting baby in the corner was a bad idea.

Mar 31, 2019, 2:14 PM

Occasional fried squash is a delight. And a fried dill pickle with a burger and fries... Yup...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 31, 2019, 2:19 PM

I've had fried green tomatoes ever since I was a young tot and that was several years ago. I assumed they were nothing special, just something we expected to be on the table from time to time. Haven't had any in a long time but all of this chattering has whetted my appetite for a generous helping.

French fries are at the bottom of my "I gotta have some" list and this is why I am no longer a lover of French fries. One day, while eating some fries, I placed a couple on a napkin. In just a few minutes, the entire napkin was saturated with oil, just from those two average sized fries. I love fried chicken but if one strips off the skin, much of the oil will be eliminated. I do some of the cooking for my daughter and I. When we have a ham steak. I cook it in water in a large frying pan. Usually there is very little fat on the steak but cooking it in water removes most of the remaining far and does not affect the taste.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^ So you cook too Joe21!

Mar 31, 2019, 2:40 PM

Wow, they say a Clemson Man needs no introduction..and obviously no cookbook either. LoL

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ^ So you cook too Joe21!

Mar 31, 2019, 3:55 PM

Bill --- I make a mean pineapple up-side-down cake. Sometime when you are coming to Clemson, let me know and I'll have one waiting for us to gnaw on. What wine goes good with that cake? LOL

Back in the 1970's & 80's I used to make wine, some years as much as 80 - 90 gals. As an individual homeowner, I had a federal license to make as much as 200 gals./year. Sometime in the late 1980's, my source of grapes was no longer available and I found good wine so cheap it wasn't worth the time, money and work. I still have a few bottles from the late 1970's. These are on sale for $999.99 plus a $100.00 corkage fee, $7.45 for the stopper. $1.29 for the wire, $233.27 for storage and $479.17 for shipping and handling. For an extra $0.08, I'll toss in two funny stories.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Esso Club's weren't bad

Mar 31, 2019, 4:17 PM

Had one yesterday

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Fried green tomatoes aren’t from the south

Mar 31, 2019, 6:25 PM

Have you ever had a johns Island tomato? Why ever would we eat green ones?

Green tomatoes are from the north/midwest

The Galley at Portman Marina had some good ones.***

Apr 1, 2019, 9:19 AM

What?

Apr 1, 2019, 9:59 AM [ in reply to Fried green tomatoes aren’t from the south ]

Tomatoes are green before they are red; and in fact, commercial tomatoes are picked green and shipped and gassed to turn red before shipping all over the country.

Green tomatoes impart a specific texture, tartness and crunchiness that allows them to be fried.

The most famous South Carolina cookbook, Charleston Receipts, has some wonderful recipes - you should try getting a copy.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Fried green tomatoes aren’t from the south

Apr 1, 2019, 5:19 PM [ in reply to Fried green tomatoes aren’t from the south ]

I used to work at the tomato packing sheds on Johns Island in the summer.

Mar 31, 2019, 6:39 PM

if Mama wants them, I would bet Dabo know where they are

Great feedback. Thanks, all.

Mar 31, 2019, 7:40 PM

Mama DJ is coming to Tigertown Wednesday with the rest of the traveling party and FGTs are big on her list while in the neighborhood.

From what I've deciphered so far...

Lighthouse in Keowee. Yes

Palmetto Smokehouse in Downtown C-Town. Yes, and closer by.

Making a visit to Anderson during your stay? Earle Street. Yes

And the old reliable chain throwdown at Fatz Cafe delivers a happy dose, with good grits accompanying to boot. Yes

The Esso Club. Maybe not as perfected as they can happen elsewhere, so look for alternatives on the menu when you visit this particular old home.

Go Tigers.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

to answer your question... I’m not sure

Mar 31, 2019, 9:00 PM

But if you’ve never had a good fried green tomato dish... your missing out my friend.

Sunny Side Cafe in Patrick Square has them.....

Mar 31, 2019, 10:25 PM

I haven’t tried the Fried Green Tomato there yet but every thing else I’ve tried on their menu has been absolutely delicious!

http://oursunnysidecafe.com/

"The one who thinks we can and the one who thinks we can't are both right! Which one are you, son? Which one are you, son?"

Apr 1, 2019, 9:16 AM

My wife does them the best I have ever had, and I have been all over. Battered and fried crispy with stewed squash and onion sausage, iced tea. Man, make your tongue slap your brains out!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 1, 2019, 7:53 PM

Well done. She too is on T net I take it ??

Apr 1, 2019, 9:19 AM

Blue Heron Restaurant in downtown Clemson

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 1, 2019, 5:16 PM

My Mama cooked fried something 3 times a day. Frying tomatoes, green or red, just required dipping in flower.

Go to

Apr 1, 2019, 8:09 PM

Mac’s and order the fried green tomato milkshake.

You won’t be sorry.

Re: Go to

Apr 1, 2019, 8:44 PM

You order that at Mac’s and they may just toss ur A double S out in the street ??

Replies: 62
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic