Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Former hoops target Christian Brown commits to UGA
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Former hoops target Christian Brown commits to UGA

Mar 16, 2019, 3:53 AM

Columbia, SC native. While we’re coming up with every excuse imaginable why we can’t win in basketball, the school 100 miles away in Athens that’s been equally as bad historically, is putting together the #6 ranked class in the nation. I know, I know, Tom Crean is probably cheating.

https://247sports.com/college/georgia/Season/2019-Basketball/Commits/

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Former hoops target Christian Brown commits to UGA

Mar 16, 2019, 4:26 AM

NAH NOT GA.CHEATING SEC IT JUST MEANS MORE

Mar 16, 2019, 6:53 AM

Probably cheating?

Mar 16, 2019, 8:17 AM

They fired a guy who wanted to do it the hard way (clean like BB) and hired a known operator
in the corruption called "big time basketball recruiting". Similar to our folks that wanted to
fire BB and hire Will Wade.

Tom Crean doesn’t cheat...

Mar 16, 2019, 9:05 AM

You people stop it.

Why was Tom Crean hired at Indiana to clean up the mess that Kevin Sampson made when they almost got the death penalty?

If he was cheating he wasn't getting a lot of bang for his bucks. No Final Fours. Tom Crean has always run a clean program but is a very good recruiter...

Agreed

Mar 16, 2019, 9:25 AM

Proven coaches with track records of landing star players land star players

Mar 16, 2019, 9:36 AM

I guess Duke cheats to get Zion, UGA cheats to get Brown, ... Can you just agree that Brownell is not our future. We build a new arena and give coach an extension to be average. Then you blame performance on fans not filling up arena. BUT HE TOOK US TO THE SWEET 16. Brownell can not recruit or coach.

Mar 16, 2019, 10:21 AM

Duke likely did pay for Zion’s services, remember? The brotherhood came out of nowhere at the end to win him.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/kansas-assistant-caught-on-wiretap-discussing-money-issues-over-zion-williamson-and-thats-a-problem-for-duke/

I don’t think Georgia cheated to get Brown.

Mar 16, 2019, 11:00 AM

Crean is a good recruiter, and did a good job getting him. Using this as a way to criticize Brownell is ridiculous. Sometimes you get a guy you want, sometimes you don’t.

People, please stop acting like it’s a big deal to lose in state talent. This is 2019, not 1970. Recruiting is regional, if not national these days.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: I don’t think Georgia cheated to get Brown.

Mar 16, 2019, 11:17 AM

With Brad Brownell it’s going to be never get the guy

At least we are in the conversation for five star players like Zion, Josiah James, and Brown.

Mar 16, 2019, 11:22 AM

Obviously, we want and need to start signing some of those players, but the fact that we are in their final group of schools is a huge improvement. We didn’t get those guys under Purnell, Shyatt, or Barnes either. In fact, players like that didn’t even consider us then (and no, Milton Jennings doesn’t count).

The only other times we have been in consideration for players like that, Cliff Ellis and Tates Locke were coaching and they are both cheaters.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Barnes got Jamison

Mar 16, 2019, 12:23 PM

Shyatt Ed Scott

OP Milton

Cliff Ricky Jones

Brad Roper

As far as successful, or semi-successful in state recruits, I think that's about it the last 30 years. Foster of course had Nance, Gilliam, and Bynum was highly recruited.

It's been a long time issue. I could be missing someone, but landing in state recruits of note has to change if we're really ever to move forward

This whole “there’s no b-ball talent in SC” isn’t quite accurate

Mar 16, 2019, 1:02 PM

And yet another excuse.

4 star or higher instate talent since 2014:

LJ Peak- Georgetown
PJ Dozier- South Carolina
Tevin Mack- Texas
Juwan Evans- Oklahoma State
Seventh Woods- UNC
Jalek Felton- UNC
Zion Williamson- Duke
Aaron Nesmith- Vanderbilt
DJ Burns- Tennessee
Josiah James- Tennessee
Juwan Gary- Alabama
Christian Brown- Georgia

Interesting that we signed ZERO of these 12 prospects over the last 5 years.

It's been that way a long time

Mar 16, 2019, 1:56 PM

simple fact is if Clemson basketball could have ever developed an in state pipeline to the elite talent we do have, things would be different. Going back even further: Brice Johnson, Ray Allen, Xavier McDaniel, Raymond Felton, we know high schoolers like Jermaine O'neal and Kevin Garnett would never have chosen us if the rules were as they are now. There are many more. We've simply never been able to keep our own. Hard to win that way

Losing guys to Duke, UNC, Georgetown don't really

Mar 16, 2019, 2:12 PM [ in reply to This whole “there’s no b-ball talent in SC” isn’t quite accurate ]

bother me that much. It's the guys to Vandy, UGA, South Carolina, Tennessee, that just had to change. None of those schools have a stellar track record in basketball so that can't always be used as an excuse.

Re: At least we are in the conversation for five star players like Zion, Josiah James, and Brown.

Mar 16, 2019, 12:26 PM [ in reply to At least we are in the conversation for five star players like Zion, Josiah James, and Brown. ]

Well he’s got a chance again next cycle. PJ Clark from the upstate. Highly rated

Re: I don’t think Georgia cheated to get Brown.

Mar 16, 2019, 11:20 AM [ in reply to I don’t think Georgia cheated to get Brown. ]

This only works as a philosophy if you get some good guys too. Sure, you don't get them all, but when you don't get any of them, this holds no water.

To Judge and others...

Mar 16, 2019, 12:00 PM

Why do you continue to defend this staff on every single issue? In the case of Brown, Clemson was his clear favorite for instate schools and Trapp is one of his close friends. Still he hesitated to commit to CBB. Now UGA comes in and gets him likely due to the class Tom Crean has assembled. Because they absolutely stink in Athens right now. Point is our staff had a head start on the last remaining big instate recruit and came up empty. Hey friends you got to point to this staff at some point.JMHO.

My point is that we have never gotten those types of players.

Mar 16, 2019, 12:18 PM

So maybe it’s a systemic problem and not a coaching problem.

I am not present in recruiting visits and meetings to know if our staff does a good job or not. Clemson is a hard sell. I know that the players who play for our coach love him and go to battle for him every game. That counts for a lot.

We definitely need to recruit better, but let’s not act like we don’t get plenty of highly recruited players. I don’t know what the answer is.

And UGA doesn't have a "systematic" problem?

Mar 16, 2019, 2:05 PM

Their reputation is worse than Clemson's. The difference is they bring in coaches who have experience running big league programs and Clemson sticks with their 4th best coach from the Horizon League model.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Correct....UGa's basketball history & rep is no better than

Mar 16, 2019, 7:18 PM

Clemson's. Yet, Crean comes in---fresh after being fired from freakin' INDIANA because his recruiting and on-court success fell off drastically his last few years----and in just a few months assembles one of the best recruiting classes in the country in Athens. A couple of years ago, Indiana was ranked #1 in the country for a good while, and then fell off the same season to the point where they didn't even make the NCAA Tournament and wound up playing GaTech in the NIT. Basically, while at Indiana, he rode one recruiting class (ok--one and a half recruiting classes) to some success even being named Big10 COY and then it all went to fecal matter.

I'm not much of a believer in coincidences and don't consider myself naive---especially after recent revelations of wide-spread corruption in college basketball....so watching a team like UGa suddenly become the darling of highly-rated HS recruits raises my curiosity and if I sound bitter, its only because I grew up in the vicinity of UGa and after 60+ years know how they do business

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL

Mar 16, 2019, 1:46 PM

at "probably".

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic