Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football vs. Basketball playoff.........
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 3
| visibility 1

Football vs. Basketball playoff.........

Dec 11, 2018, 12:43 PM

I know there's a lot of discussion about how large the field should be for the football playoffs - 4 teams like now, 8 teams, 16 teams??

I remember when only the conference tournament champions when to the basketball playoffs. Then they started including the regular season champions and then slowly continued to expand it from there. I also remember every time they expanded the field there was a big uproar about how it would "ruin" the tournament, etc.

But now the NCAA basketball playoffs are one of the most watched/attended sporting events every year in this country.

Who's to say expanding the football playoff field will "ruin" it?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Football vs. Basketball playoff.........

Dec 11, 2018, 1:07 PM

It's not that you would ruin it, it would just take to many weeks to prepare for each game.

Dec 11, 2018, 1:12 PM

How can you even begin to compare the two? Look around at the NFL vs. NBA regular season and playoff structure and also look how it is done in high school. Obviously one of the sports (football) is not a viable option to play as many games as the other sport (basketball).

Dec 11, 2018, 1:13 PM

First, you can't play football games on one day rest. The extended time to move through the playoffs may cause it to fall short of what a week of craziness produces in basketball.

Also if you look at the FCS playoffs, which everyone points to as a model, the only close games in early rounds are with teams who have no shot to win. The teams who have a chance to win blow people out typically until they reach the semifinal. Sometimes even the semifinals are blowouts. The FCS playoff gets interesting at the same time as the FBS playoff, when it gets to 4 teams. Games before that would most likely be time fillers or chances for the top teams to get guys hurt.

My preference for expansion is to 5 or 6 teams max. I have no interest this year in seeing Bama beat UCF by 50 or by seeing Gary from Michigan take a cheap shot at Trevor's legs because he is mad that he didn't choose Clemson while Clemson is winning by 30.

Replies: 3
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic