Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Flame away, but it bothered me just a little
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

Flame away, but it bothered me just a little

Jan 12, 2019, 6:50 PM

that among all of the love proclaimed by the players for their teammates, their coaches and the fans, not one player who spoke sang the praises of Clemson University...their school

I know how they happily sing the Alma mater after games, and I don’t doubt that they are proud of their degrees and their university, but it just stuck out to me

I also thought that the speeches overall were better in 2016, but I chalk that up to that being the first championship in 35 years

A great day in DEAR OLD CLEMSON! I love everything about my University.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Flame away, but it bothered me just a little

Jan 12, 2019, 6:52 PM

Exactly. Clemson University won the Natty, not Clemson Football.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't get too caught up in that.

Jan 12, 2019, 6:54 PM

All of these players love their university. You have to remember these are still young men that are probably nervous speaking in front of 40,000 people.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Probably overstated

Jan 12, 2019, 7:00 PM

“Bothered” is a strong word. Just found myself wishing that just one player had said something about how much he loved the University.

Probably shouldn’t have posted at all. I see I already have at least one TD.

lol a lone TD means you're doing something right

Jan 12, 2019, 7:03 PM

don't get too caught up in those, either.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Probably overstated

Jan 12, 2019, 7:06 PM [ in reply to Probably overstated ]

They said every thing they needed to say in my opinion by choosing to attend Clemson. Most of these guys could have went anywhere in the country to play football and get degrees. They loved Clemson enough to give them 3-4 years of their life and they did so with class and pride. They represented the University well and they have every ounce of energy to be the best men they could be. In my opinion, sometimes actions are louder than words.

Re: Probably overstated

Jan 13, 2019, 11:42 AM [ in reply to Probably overstated ]

Maybe none of them were really that excited about school.

Re: Don't get too caught up in that.

Jan 12, 2019, 7:17 PM [ in reply to Don't get too caught up in that. ]

CW42’s “ugly” cry and the players sprinting over for the Alma Mater said it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: Don't get too caught up in that.

Jan 14, 2019, 5:53 AM [ in reply to Don't get too caught up in that. ]

...and their moms.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

wish ole jimmy greenbeans could have spoke***

Jan 12, 2019, 6:55 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm sure they appreciate it

Jan 12, 2019, 6:57 PM

But as they sat there in the stadium with all their teammates I doubt thy were thinking too much about their classes in Brackett Hall

Man I love Brackett Hall***

Jan 12, 2019, 7:07 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: Man I love Brackett Hall***

Jan 12, 2019, 7:18 PM

Beats Sirrine or Riggs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: Man I love Brackett Hall***

Jan 12, 2019, 7:37 PM

I was there in the pre-renovation period of Bracket. I liked Riggs more. Of course, most of my classes were in Riggs.

Ah, the memories.

Re: I'm sure they appreciate it

Jan 12, 2019, 8:18 PM [ in reply to I'm sure they appreciate it ]

Still remember classes in Brackett when it was still Chemistry and across the field from the tin cans

Jan 12, 2019, 7:07 PM

I believe it was Christian Wilkens who said today that he wasn’t going to miss Death Valley. But he would miss the people. Wonder if he will miss Clemson at all or not.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Wonder if he will miss Clemson

Jan 12, 2019, 8:13 PM

Why do you think CW cried at the Natty?

It was a turn of phrase.

Jan 14, 2019, 6:11 AM [ in reply to Re: Flame away, but it bothered me just a little ]

You completely whiffed on the message. People are what matters. Loving each other is what matters. Clemson IS the people. Students, alumni, players, coaches, administration and even us lesser-than non-alumni fans.

A lot has been made of the 'family' at Clemson vs. the factory at Alabama this week. Do you believe it? 'Cause Dabo does, and his team does too. In a family, what's important? The houses, cars, or businesses? You hear your daughter's house burned down, your first and only question is, "Is everyone alright?" If the answer is yes, it becomes a blip in your memory and you move on. If it's not, your world shatters.

Clemson is not a collection of buildings.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

some of them gave up millions $$ to play this year

Jan 12, 2019, 7:14 PM

speaks volumes

Jan 12, 2019, 7:42 PM

I didn't see it that way.
Maybe you're more of a glass half empty sort?

Not at all...re-read my post

Jan 12, 2019, 7:57 PM

It is just an observation, not a criticism. No one SAID it...with WORDS.

I acknowledged what their actions say.

Jan 12, 2019, 7:47 PM

The fact that several of those players could have gone to the NFL last year but chose to return to Clemson speaks volumes of their love for Clemson University. I doubt many of us would turn down Millions.

Jan 12, 2019, 7:50 PM

here is what bothers me. people that have to find something bad in everything that happens.

Jan 12, 2019, 7:52 PM

THIS

After the game, I heard all the players thanking everyone including the University and the 'best fans ever.' Stop looking for things to be offended by.

Jan 13, 2019, 11:36 AM [ in reply to Re: Flame away, but it bothered me just a little ]

Hey bro, somebody out there doesn't like us. Must be a coot, because only a chicken would TD instead of coming forward with a simple "I disagree." ; )

While I hear ya andagree to some degree

Jan 12, 2019, 7:58 PM

That is something they will grow to understand years down the road when they get out in the “real world.” They’ll realize how special Clemson is when their eyes are opened. As young and as inexperienced as they are, they don’t realize it yet. Give em time and give em grace for their ignorance. I was there myself. But came to realize how awesome my time was there years later.

Jan 12, 2019, 8:32 PM

Maybe there's a new article coming up, when a celebration doesn't feel like a celebration.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 13, 2019, 12:10 PM

I think that most probably just felt that it was implied. Dabo spoke extensively on the success these young men have had in the classroom. They would not have had that success if they were not enjoying the journey on the educational front, as well.

Jan 13, 2019, 12:23 PM

I don't really get all that caught up on how anyone else views CLEMSON. I'm just one old man that loves the game of football, and enjoy discussing the different aspects of the game, but my love for CLEMSON will always be the academics. My degree helped make me successful in life, raise my kids to be successful with their own degrees, and to be independent raising their families. I was the FIRST in my family tree to ever earn a 4-year degree, and I cherish that degree and the experiences I had at CLEMSON. What others view as most important is up to them. I can live with that and accept them as they are. I am not their judge.

This is NOT a flame though. :)

Jan 13, 2019, 12:37 PM

It bothered me more that Dexter didn't get any attention. Not a great way to end his college career

Jan 13, 2019, 12:37 PM

It bothered me more that Dexter didn't get any attention. Not a great way to end his college career

Jan 14, 2019, 5:32 AM

Maybe Dex didn’t want to talk?

Jan 14, 2019, 12:20 AM

Write a speech. Send it to Dabo. Maybe next time, one of the players will read it exactly as you wrote it. At their age, they don't have any idea what a Clemson degree will mean to them. Right now it's just classes & football, classes & football.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic