Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FSU Chant at Braves Games?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

FSU Chant at Braves Games?

Jul 21, 2019, 8:30 PM

Do those of y’all that pull for the Braves feel weird about seeing, hearing, and/or doing the FSU chant at Braves games?

This is coming from a Nats fan, so please don’t take offense - just thought about it while watching the game.

I love all of my fellow Tigers, Braves fans included!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

I've been going to the Brave games in Atlanta since 1966

Jul 21, 2019, 8:44 PM

and I really don't care for anything FSU . . . I have often wondered which team started the "Chop and Chant" first . . . but in the end it doesn't matter to me . . . It's a Braves Rally Cry . . . and that is it . . .

I tipped my cap to your Nats twice last night for beating our Ace . . . Nicely done!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The chant wasn't used at Braves games until

Jul 21, 2019, 8:50 PM

Neon Deion Sanders was with the club during their first pennant drive in '90. It's stayed since. That's my memory...I'm sticking to it! ;)

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^ That is correct ^^^***

Jul 22, 2019, 7:30 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: The chant wasn't used at Braves games until

Jul 22, 2019, 8:13 AM [ in reply to The chant wasn't used at Braves games until ]

I remember a few October 3:30 games and you could here the chant in the tailgate area while fans watched the braves afterwards doing the chant. That would have been during 93 or 94 seasons with Tommy West.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The criminoles stole it from

Jul 22, 2019, 6:20 PM [ in reply to The chant wasn't used at Braves games until ]

Chief Nockahoma ??

The first of the consecutive division pennants was in 1991.

Jul 22, 2019, 6:40 PM [ in reply to The chant wasn't used at Braves games until ]

Braves had a turribel record and finished last in the division in '90.

Thus the fabulous "Worst to First" season in '91.

Like other poasters have already said, FSU had had the warchant and chop for many years, the Braves co-opted it when Neon Deion came along in '91, and it has stuck (at least when they are winning) ever since.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've read that the Braves fans started the chop with Deion

Jul 21, 2019, 8:51 PM [ in reply to I've been going to the Brave games in Atlanta since 1966 ]

When he came up to the team, they started the chop basically for him.

FSU had it first.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg2006_majors_champ.jpg2008_nascar_champ.gif2015_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When we drink, we get drunk.
When we get drunk, we fall asleep.
When we fall asleep, we commit no sin.
When we commit no sin, we go to heaven.
So, let's all get drunk, and go to heaven!

Makes sense . . . I just read

Jul 21, 2019, 8:54 PM

that FSU started it in 1986 . . .

Thanks for the clarification!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lucky last night, Braves left a lot of runners on the bases

Jul 21, 2019, 8:59 PM

I hope, but don’t think, that the Nats can hang through over the next two months.

Wild card is a realistic possibility, but that can be said for seemingly half the National League right now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

To be clear, I wasn't suggesting Atlanta started it

Jul 21, 2019, 9:09 PM [ in reply to I've read that the Braves fans started the chop with Deion ]

I knew it was FSU's...and Sanders was why the Braves started using it.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I've been going to the Brave games in Atlanta since 1966

Jul 22, 2019, 12:10 PM [ in reply to I've been going to the Brave games in Atlanta since 1966 ]

It would be the Seminoles.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FSU Chant at Braves Games?

Jul 22, 2019, 7:16 AM

I just can't do it. I have to check my phone, get some overpriced water, reapply sunscreen, etc

Jul 22, 2019, 5:01 PM

It made "some" sense back in '90 when the Braves had done nothing for decades but we're coming on. The Bowden/Deion era was a big dominant force in football - so Sanders playing for the Braves...it was a good tie-in. But nearly 30 years have passed...FSU football is trying to crawl out of the gutter...the Braves finally look like the Braves of 15/20 years ago. Now, It just seems like an FSU chant. I say give the chop" back to the Noles. Also, it's not so intimidating either at Doak-Campbell when 40-50K fans do it 3 times per game.

Jul 22, 2019, 5:35 PM

I remember when Ted Turner and Jane Fonda were together. Jane would do modified chop with palm facing down in order to not offend.

My point? Nothing other than I'm getting old and I miss Atlanta.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 22, 2019, 6:25 PM

I live 15 minutes from Suntrust park. I don’t chop until after the Clemson FSU game. If that game is late October, so be it.

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic