Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Expectation level for 2019
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 3,845

Expectation level for 2019

Jun 26, 2019, 5:17 PM

All Clemson fans expect another great season for our Tigers. But I have noticed a distinct separation of what to expect. On the one hand, we have the 'experienced realist'. And on the other (me included), the pie in the sky believers. The difference between the two is, another 10+ win season, or another perfect season. Now, realistically, last year's 15-0 was super special: never been done in the modern era. Winning the Naty, over bama is very rare. So, doing it again, two years in a row ... ? 30-0? That's just too much to hope for, right?

Wrong. That's exactly what I'm looking for. I'm not predicting that it is going to happen. But I am saying it's within our grasp! I believe.

If we lose one, oh well, crap happens. I just think that Dabo has the ability to bring our A-game, every game this season. And if he does, then this Clemson team can play and beat any college team out there.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Expectation level for 2019

Jun 26, 2019, 6:01 PM

Find me one person whose said they expect a 10 win season. 10-2 would be a pretty big disappointment for this team. I consider myself a realist and barring injury of course I have a hard time finding 2 losses on this schedule.

Jun 26, 2019, 8:00 PM

I agree. I don’t see 2 losses in regular season without injury.

Jun 26, 2019, 8:00 PM [ in reply to Re: Expectation level for 2019 ]

I agree. I don’t see 2 losses in regular season without injury.

Jun 27, 2019, 4:31 PM [ in reply to Re: Expectation level for 2019 ]

Hard to imagine even one regular season loss for Clemson.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 27, 2019, 5:16 PM

They’ve seemed to play with fire a couple games every year (NCSU & Pitt 2016, Cuse 2017, Cuse & A&M 18) and will be breaking in a lot of new starters on defense and the 2 hardest games are weeks 2 and 3.

Not saying they’ll drop one of those but if it was going to happen, A&M or Cuse the likeliest speedbumps. After Bentley having success against the defense last year I expect BV to crank it up a bunch of notches in La Cucaracha in late November

Jun 26, 2019, 7:56 PM

15-0 ...... 30-0.
BACK TO BACK National Champions

I expect 15-0***

Jun 26, 2019, 8:08 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I expect TWO national championships

Jun 26, 2019, 9:45 PM

but think I may be a little over reaching.

Re: I expect TWO national championships

Jun 26, 2019, 10:03 PM

Why? Right this very minute, what do you think Dabo’s Expectations are? He might say one game at a time, but he expects to win every game he coaches.

Jun 26, 2019, 10:03 PM [ in reply to I expect TWO national championships ]

Why? Right this very minute, what do you think Dabo’s Expectations are? He might say one game at a time, but he expects to win every game he coaches.

well it's kind of hard to win

Jun 27, 2019, 5:16 AM

2 national championships in one year

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 27, 2019, 8:41 AM [ in reply to Re: I expect TWO national championships ]

1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1 = Repeat

Jun 26, 2019, 10:04 PM

I’m always hopeful but I like to expect less and be surprised in a good way. I can see Texas A and M being a tuffie, we have dropped the ball at Pitt or Syracuse once and while so I never look past a nobody bringing what it takes to win on a given Saturday either. I don’t think 10/2 would crush me but I predict us at 14/1 in a close title game....if I had to wager.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 26, 2019, 11:45 PM

I'm most concerned about a lack of sharpness against A&M.

Not as worried about Syracuse because they should have that one circled. In fact, the players could be looking ahead to Syracuse while playing A&M since it's the next week.

Bottom line: If we get a 3-0 start, put 12-0 in the bank unless there are major injuries.

Re: Nice Pulse. But anyhow

Jun 26, 2019, 11:53 PM

Fan expectations - Rings (multiple).

Team expectations - Trophies (multiple).

Coaches - Trophy (One) (January)

The way it should be.

Jun 27, 2019, 4:16 AM

I don’t count on winning a single game until the Tigers are ahead by 3 TDs in an individual game. Four is better, I’ve got a decent level of confidence with a 4 TD lead. I can relax when we get that far ahead.

All the talk of another undefeated season + a consecutive championship win makes me faint with nervousness. I firmly believe that kind of expectations, talking about it, counting on it, to be a sure fire jinx.

Nervous Nelly

My hope is for a very low level

Jun 27, 2019, 6:56 AM

Of 'nervousness' in the 3rd quarter of the National Championship Game. I really enjoyed that this past season...it's like a drug I can seriously get behind! ;)

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 27, 2019, 7:54 AM

Football is hard and the ball bounces funny ways because of it’s oblong shape. Unexpected injuries and weather will happen. There will probably be a minimum of 3 “close” games that could be losses. Likely one of the 3 will be, just due to odds. Everybody on this board and in the media will panic and criticize the coaches and say Clemson is soft or overrated. That comes with the territory when you are following on the heels of the greatest team that had the greatest season ever. We may still end up as the only one-loss team out there - everybody else may lose two games because football is hard and the ball takes funny bounces. Remember other schools give scholarships too and practice and game plan.

Jun 27, 2019, 8:10 AM

Instead of setting expectations and going crazy at ever close win or heaven forbid a loss why not simply enjoy the season? Football is a sport and fans are suppose to enjoy the game and competition. Can we not simply be happy for a change? After all these are the glory years

Jun 27, 2019, 10:14 AM

I would be surprised if a healthy Clemson doesn't make the playoffs this year. Our offense should be about as close to unstoppable as we've ever seen, provided we keep TL healthy. Only see A&M, Cuse, (maybe) State, and BC with the potential to keep the game close. I think only 2 of them actually will be close in the 4th (probably A&M and Cuse just due to typical early season scoring problems).

Even if we lose 1, as long as that team doesn't then win the Atlantic, and we win the ACCCG (not overly concerned about any of the Coastal teams), we're in the playoff.

Just have to keep the team humble and hungry, or anything can happen on any given Saturday.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

15-0 is not a realistic expectation. Even winning the title

Jun 27, 2019, 10:31 AM

again probably isn't a realistic expectation - depending on how you define "realistic" because "realistically" our odds of repeating are well below 50%. Our current Vegas odds, which we share with Bama, are 5-2 which translates to about 29% and those are even typically inflated a bit so the bookies can make money.

IMO a realistic expectation is to go 12-1 or maybe even 13-0 and make the playoff again. It's a bit of a crap shoot after that. I also think expecting to win championships is a bad place for a fan to be. It's one thing to expect to field a really good team that will likely play in the CFP and quite another to expect to win the title. That seems to suck a lot of the enjoyment out of the winning and leave you in a place where there's little excitement from most wins and huge disappointment (and usually tons of bitching and moaning and complaining on here) after losing.

Re: 15-0 is not a realistic expectation. Even winning the title

Jun 27, 2019, 2:58 PM

15 - 0 and another NC is an expectation but not a requirement to love the Tigers because they have given us so much over the past 4+ years.

If you want expectations, try 45 - 0 and 3 NCs on for size after the 2020 NC game in Jan 2021 in Miami.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 22
| visibility 3,845
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic