Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Excellent FSU BrkDwn. Don't sleep on Criminoles
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 4,057

Excellent FSU BrkDwn. Don't sleep on Criminoles

Apr 29, 2019, 1:01 PM

I know this is the same defense that gave up 650 yards to Samford! SAMFORD!

But, Kendall Briles is there and they have athletes "for days"!

Blackman is a really good deep ball thrower which is vital in the Briles-vert offense!

They make your safeties play deep then get double team blocking for the RB. If you aren't disciplined this offense can burn you!

I feel confident BV and staff will be able to handle it.

Just wonder if fans are thinking we are going to get the same broken down west coast offense they have been running or something. All the raw parts you need are in place at FSU(not enough). Plus now, they have an OC with some creativity.

If they are even close to the offense they use to put on the field at Baylor; move FSU up to #1 or #2 on our list of toughest games!
Did they replace the DC? If not, hate to say it, they will end up looking like a Big 12 team if nothing else.
Watch this breakdown. Pretty good explanation of some of their new concepts!

Have they fixed their OL? Can't really tell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4V3OM4yJb0

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They’ll be better but not good

Apr 29, 2019, 1:07 PM

Their spring game was designed to make their offense look competent and it looked barely that. All off coverage, no exotic blitzes, one read and throw plays and hardly any runs.

They don’t have the talent they used to and still aren’t very well coached. They can’t be as bad as last year but I don’t expect them to be competitive.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They’ll be better but not good

Apr 29, 2019, 1:22 PM

I hope you are right!

You wonder what happened down there? Everyone seems to conveniently forget in Jimbo Fishers last year there; they had to beat an FCS team in a make up game to make a bowl game. They were bad even under Jimbo Fisher! The OL and all.
He had a top 5 recruiting class as well. Cam Akers and a few of those WR's were top 20 recruits.

Be good to beat a competitive FSU team. It would be a night game at DV for sure.

Depending on how the new pieces at Syracuse are; the Atlantic is (on paper) going to be the weaker division overall this season. If Nancy St QB isn't that good as well as FSU and Cuse.
We should easily still be two TD favorites in each of those games!

We'll see.

***I didn't mention in the original post: but it's worth mentioning. Baylor is about like Wake Forrest(not in size but football prowess). Or at least they were until Art Briles arrived. Even produced a Heisman winner! They never had top talent there and still led the nation in offense. I for one am keeping an eye on them. Because, FSU has a much deeper talent pool than what they worked with at Baylor!

It won't be deep enough for The Tigers. But, don't sleep on them for the above mentioned FACT!

Dude...Briles was recruiting the state of Texas and all

Apr 29, 2019, 1:28 PM

the same states that Texas, aTm, Houston, LSU, Oklahoma, OK St, and every other school out there recruits. They had Robert Griffin III and they did have top talent because they were running a sketchy program. Briles will definitely be an improvement but if they can't recruit and coach OL better, it won't matter.

Re: Dude...Briles was recruiting the state of Texas and all

Apr 29, 2019, 1:39 PM

Baylor use to get the players those schools you mentioned picked over though.

See below.

Some good on The Tigers to boot!

https://saturdayblitz.com/2018/09/16/college-football-teams-historically-pull-recruiting-weight/

I'll believe it when I see it. First of all, they haven't

Apr 29, 2019, 1:17 PM

signed a QB the last 2 classes. TWO CLASSES. And Blackman doesn't scare me in the least. After him, they're down to Louisville transfer who needs an NCAA waiver to even play in 2019, and a walk-on who was on scholarship at Air Force and decided to leave before he ever played a snap.

They have the same DC they had last year, the guy who was co-DC at Mich St. They don't scare me on D, either.

Every single year we hear this crap. "Better look out for FSU, boy! They're loaded, they recruit better than anybody, they have facilities, they have awesome cheerleaders, they have a white boy dressed up like an Indian on a beautiful Appaloosa horse" (the best thing about those clowns is the horse). Get real. They had one good season since Bowden left. Taggart is in WAY over his head and I ain't buying FSU.

Re: I'll believe it when I see it. First of all, they haven't

Apr 29, 2019, 1:31 PM

CootNDawgHater LOL! Love the bit about the horse! Never knew that, LOL!
Hey, Coach Swinney and staff preaches be the best version of yourself everyday. Be the best version of this football team every game. So, not being up and down and playing down to opponents level is not something we worry about much.

And, is it scared to acknowledge what your opponents "POSSIBLE" strong suits are? I don't think so. As someone who was in the military I know you have a plan in place ahead of time for anything that "might" be an obstacle! Just like GT practice and principles under Paw Johnson. You don't practice the entire time; but you do emphasize certain principles when playing a unique offense. In other words, proper preparation helps prevent bad performance.

Love the title you choose. Believe it when I see it. Me too, except, they have already proven they can produce explosive offense with far less talented players to work with! Keeping my eye on this potential "obstacle"!
Potential obstacle! "Potential"!

Re: Excellent FSU BrkDwn. Don't sleep on Criminoles

Apr 29, 2019, 1:24 PM

There are certain things that Briles will have to bring to FSU to get them to be our toughest or close to toughest game of the year.

Their culture does not seem like one that produces a championship type team. Baylor also had this problem when Briles was there and tended to come unglued when things did not go their way. They also usually had lots of personal fouls against them even though they did put up a ton of yards and points while he was at Baylor. Was it because of Briles or Big 12 defenses. Maybe we will find out this season.

Their offensive line was absolutely horrible last year and I'm not sure that they got too many pieces that will allow them to put a different product on the field this year. Sure maybe the o-line coaching will get better, but I don't think they have a wealth of athletes in that position group. Briles offense may reduce the need for a strong o-line. We will see.

Apr 29, 2019, 1:26 PM

truthfully, I would consider a 6-7 campaign successful for FSU this fall.

The thing that "worries" me the most is the leadship as FSU would just quit. Not that I care about FSU. I want them to be 10-2 every season with that one loss to the tigers and one to Wake (to be safe). The "quitting" is a bigger issue than X&Os. You could tell last year when the D would just pack it up and leave because the O could not get it together. It wasn't a tactical issue, it was a lack of "guts". At some point, I think a few players decided to go to study hall over playing...

That being said, if the D has the ability to stay motivated, even with an offense that could half move the ball, they could be decent but they don't have the same talent depth as past years. I think any team that is even remotely able to both move the ball and play an average D scheme will be in a position to beat FSU. I would like to see FSU come into death valley 5-0, leave with a 5-1 beating but it could be possible to have them 2-3 or worse.

Apr 29, 2019, 1:36 PM

Baylor offense played against HORRIBLE defenses. Not as easy now. We do actually play defense in the conference as a whole.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They are always capable of being great..

Apr 29, 2019, 2:00 PM

but I just dont know what to expect. They were a very poorly coached and motivated team last year. They just flat laid down a few games and Taggert didn't know what the heck was going on.

Re: They are always capable of being great..

Apr 29, 2019, 2:58 PM

2016 - FSU 3rd
2017 - FSU 6th
2018 - FSU 11th
2019 - FSU 19th

All according to 24/7 sports.

Meanwhile, we were on those same 247 rankings:

2016 - 11th
2017 - 16th
2018 - 7th
2019 - 10th

I wouldn't say they are like Boston College, Wake Forrest or the like as far as talent. And, to everyone saying they have a culture problem - I agree. I hope it continues! I can only trust in our awesome coaching staff the team doesn't have the "they aren't nothing attitude" toward this group! They have the raw talent to be dangerous Is all I am saying! The X and O folks might get where I am coming from. Dangerous but not good enough. Of course, I would say that about Ohio St. Alabama, Georgia, Oklahoma or Texas too!
Our coaches are the best doing it in college football. And, I would bet every nickel they have it in the back of their minds like I do about this bunch! It's not being scared; it's recognizing your biggest "potential threats"! L.Y. was year one of W. Taggert and while I hope he continues to struggle - it may have just taken that long to clean up the mess jump ship Fisher made!
Jump Ship after all was the coach in charge when they had to depend on a FCS win to qualify for bowl season!

Apr 29, 2019, 6:52 PM

Super vanilla on both sides of the ball. The coverage is similar to 2A high school. Not saying they aren’t somewhat playing Coy, but I agree with other posters that this team may be improved, but is far from anything that seems threatening to the middle pack of the ACC. I think they make a bowl this year, but that’s about it. Looking forward to tearing them a new on in DV.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 29, 2019, 8:55 PM

BloodbeOrange® I understand your point.

I guess to me it makes for a more rewarding Atlantic division title when FSU is good! Not to dismiss Cuse, Wake, Nancy St, BC chances at all.

Cuse - verdict is still out. Will they have sustained success? Even after Dungey.
Nancy St. - no Finley. No Chubb or DL full of NFL talent. Can they replace OC?
BC - love their coach and their players. Lunch pale grinders. To little unless they get another M.Ryan.
Wake - inconsistent. But, can be dangerous if you overlook them.

The Hero(Clemson) has to have a villain(FSU). And, I want them to think they have a shot when they come in to DV. I am still seething over that Jameis Winston game.

Oh well!

This is the new "rare air" for us as Clemson fans! I can remember the 81 championship as a kid and thinking, "can't nobody beat Clemson"! It was some good years and some lean years between those championships. I guess I don't want to get to the point as a fan; where I think it's automatic. At some point, people had to come see us who thought; "little ole Clemson, huh"! And, we hit them in the mouth! As a fan - I know the team will be good to go - Coach Swinney don't play that. I want to go in with the same feeling of: "let's execute and get a W"!
Don't want to become one of those fans who are spoiled and thinking other teams are just going to lay down. That's when fans start getting on successful coaches backs; if it's not a blow out. Or if the game was close for a while, etc.
We need that team out there to push us in a corner so the coaches don't have to be Sigmund Freud to keep the complacency disease from setting in. A worthy team in our division speaks for itself and is motivation enough. Guess I am wishful thinking for that "push" it would provide.

Cuse has been it to a degree the last couple years! If Cuse got up for their entire schedule like they get up for us; they would only have one maybe two losses. And, that use to be us.
As some of the other posters on here have said, "enjoy this time"! It wasn't always like this. I love this time and want to keep it going! If all our opponents are Cake. . . .

Apr 30, 2019, 8:35 AM

I don’t disagree with any of that. In fact, when I responded to your post I thought to myself that it would be interesting If they were more relevant. We shall see. WT just looks lost to me. Almost like, “ I’m in over my head and everyone can see it.” I will say it does look like he is trying to take out the trash so to speak. That is impactful at least.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They still have Willie calling the shots I'm not worried

Apr 29, 2019, 11:08 PM

I think Blackman is very good but that’s all they have and their

Apr 30, 2019, 6:42 AM

OL is always such a mess I wonder if he’ll survive long enough to play us. Francois took such a beating there.

But really, I’m not worried. Not because FSU can’t beat us, but because our staff and players have consistently shown up to each game focused and prepared. No one on the team seems to be “sleeping” on any opponent.

null

How about wake me up when they first show some signs of life***

Apr 30, 2019, 7:31 AM

Replies: 17
| visibility 4,057
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic