Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Etienne by the Numbers: GOAT RB at Clemson?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 2,071

Etienne by the Numbers: GOAT RB at Clemson?

May 23, 2019, 10:31 AM

Another post sharing the article about how great Etienne was last year inspired me to be a nerd and crunch some numbers again.

Here are his current stats, and what he'll look like at the end of his 3rd and 4th (we can hope) seasons. I simply added his career averages times 15 to what he's already got each year:

Rushing TDs: 37 (1.32/game)
Junior: 57
Senior: 77
Clemson Record: Davis - 47

Rushing Yards: 2,424 (86.57 yds/game)
Junior: 3,723
Senior: 5,022
Clemson Record: Priester - 3,966 (1997)

Scrimmage Yards: 2,559 (91.34/game)
Junior: 3,929
Senior: 5,299
Clemson Record: Spiller - 4,967

All-Purpose Yards: 2,948 (105.29/game)
Junior: 4,527
Senior: 6,107
Clemson Record: Spiller - 7,588

Total TDs: 39 (1.39/game)
Junior: 60
Senior: 81
Clemson Record: Spiller - 51

Yards per Carry
Etienne - 7.8
Spiller - 5.9
Davis - 5.2
Priester - 4.9

Summary

Etienne WILL break the rushing TD record, probably by the fifth game, and then would only need four more TDs after that to break CJ's total TD record. Amazing.

I know my projection shows him about 200 yards and change short of breaking Priester's yardage record at the end of this season, but if he repeats his sophomore yardage, he would break that long-standing record after the first playoff game. Again, incredible.

The one area where Etienne falls short is receiving yardage and returns, giving CJ a big advantage over him in scrimmage yards and all-purpose yards. He could break the scrimmage yards record by virtue of his insane amount of rushing yards if he played his senior year, but CJ all but put the all-purpose record out of reach. Etienne would have to average 50 more scrimmage yards a game for two years to MATCH it (assuming he's done returning kicks). Love Travis but it's probably not happening.

I honestly think even if he leaves after this year, Travis Etienne will be the best pure rusher in Clemson history. He will have ample opportunity this season with Choice and Feaster both gone. It's all the more incredible seeing how close he is to these records considering he averaged a paltry 13.6 carries a game last year.

We're watching Clemson history in the making, ladies and gentlemen. Enjoy it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Etienne by the Numbers: GOAT RB at Clemson?

May 23, 2019, 10:50 AM

It's a fun projection but in all likelihood you wasted your time on the senior year projections.

The RB commits have even said that coaches are telling them ETN will be gone after this season.

It would have to take some sort of injury to have him back on campus for a 4th year, which would also throw off the calculations.

Hopefully he has another outstanding injury-free season and he heads to the NFL as a very high draft pick.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I did say we can hope haha

May 24, 2019, 9:36 AM

Where did you see recruits are saying the coaches are telling them ETN is gone?

May 23, 2019, 11:01 AM

7,500 apy for Spiller....ridiculous. ET may be a better pure rushing back but Spiller was an all around freak. Spiller was the greatest APB ever at Clemson imo. I hate to split hairs between RB and APB but i think you have to.

May 23, 2019, 11:24 AM

You know "Tigersaul", you just said what I've been preaching for over a decade.
I was a student while CJ was playing and for my money, he should have been in the Heisman final three. When there are opposing teams that have two different game strategies (one for when he's off the field and one when he's on) that just means you're beyond special. CJ is not doubt Top 5 all purpose player in the history of college football. Right before he would touch the ball, you knew something spectacular was about to happen.

May 24, 2019, 2:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Etienne by the Numbers: GOAT RB at Clemson? ]

Agree CJ was and is an all-time great Clemson RB. Still, in terms of all-purpose, I'm unsure CJ ever through a block at Clemson which detracted from his NFL skill sets and value.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 23, 2019, 11:28 AM

Dang, we have been blessed with some good folks.

Spiller is amazing and that was when opposing teams knew we had to give it to him somehow.

I won't fault ETN for receiving... it isn't like we have a lack of options but what ETN does with the number of touches is amazing. Spiller is still legend so that is good company non the less.

For me, it is between him and Sammy as far as the "how did he score AGAIN" with just a few opportunities.

Curious who would have the most TDs per touch? Spiller, Sammy, ETN, or Renfrow. I am guessing CW would be high too.

As requested: Clemson stars, TD per touch

May 24, 2019, 11:16 AM

Here you go, FutureDoc

Little surprised by this, honestly. Thought it was ETN.

Touch = rush, reception, kick return, punt return
Number shown is percentage of touches that resulted in a TD

1) Nuk - 12.3%
2) ETN - 11.2%
3) Sammy - 8.1%
4) Renfrow - 7.9%
5) Davis - 6.1%
6) Spiller - 6.0%
7) Priester - 2.6%

Nuk and ETN are scoring MACHINES.

Re: As requested: Clemson stars, TD per touch

May 24, 2019, 2:54 PM

Wow, thanks and wow Nuk! And I am even more impressed with James Davis

May 24, 2019, 3:07 PM

Really enjoyed your post and your hard work doing the research.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 24, 2019, 5:36 PM

Great post!!!

Replies: 10
| visibility 2,071
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic