Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Old computer geek needs some computer help
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1,886

Old computer geek needs some computer help

Mar 14, 2019, 1:49 PM

Let me know if anyone has a solution as to how to do this:

I bought a desktop a couple of years ago and installed a 500GB SSD with Win 10.
The SSD had 2 partitions, so I have C: and D: drives instead of one contiguous drive.
My C: drive is small and is running out of space, but I have 300+GB on the D: drive that I want to use.
I thought this would be simple, but Disk Management (or some other software) will not allow me to extend the C: drive since the D: drive is not next to the C: drive.

I need to be able to move the D: next to C: but there is a Windows RE tools in between, and nothing I've tried allows me to move D:.

Do any of you have any suggestions? I don't want to buy a larger SSD when I still have lots of room on that drive that I cannot seem to get to.

BTW: I have some other larger drives that I could clone my 500 SSD to, and then possibly clone the larger drive back to the 500 SSD and remove the extra partition in the process. Would that possibly work?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Old computer geek needs some computer help

Mar 14, 2019, 1:52 PM

Mar 14, 2019, 1:58 PM

Thanks. At least it sounds logical, I just have never needed to do that, so flying into the unknown with this one. :)

Mar 14, 2019, 2:05 PM

Mar 14, 2019, 2:05 PM

There are several disk utilities that are free that can resize your partition. EaseUS Partition Master Free is one of them. Google "resize partition free" and it will give you a list of other software programs that can do that.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 14, 2019, 3:22 PM

yes - I actually tried EaseUS Partition Master first, but it would not give me any option to actually move the partition adjacent to my C: partition. It said "resize/move" but only gave me options to resize.

Mar 14, 2019, 2:15 PM

Pretty sure if you create a windows recovery (usb) drive you can delete the windows recovery partition without compromising anything.

You might try a tool like easeUS partition master to move the windows recover partition first.

I think you should try that before cloning to a larger drive since cloning from a larger drive to a smaller drive can be an issue due to hidden files.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do you have a zip drive?

Mar 14, 2019, 2:18 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Do you have a zip drive?

Mar 14, 2019, 3:24 PM

Not sure if I can round up enough floppy disks.

Re: Do you have a zip drive?

Jun 2, 2019, 10:23 PM [ in reply to Do you have a zip drive? ]

https://i.redd.it/8gbfmqf0os1y.jpg

Pfffft, that ain’t even OG. Floppy’s were way thinner and wider back when I was pimp-Tandy-2000.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Better.***

Jun 8, 2019, 1:56 PM [ in reply to Do you have a zip drive? ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Mar 14, 2019, 2:44 PM

I’d make it 220...221, whatever it takes.

some form of Partition Magic, I don't think the original is

Mar 14, 2019, 3:26 PM

supported anymore, but there are plenty of free alternatives

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

UPDATE - Problem Solved

Jun 2, 2019, 10:01 PM

Okay, I finally figured out how to do this.

I downloaded a free utility "MiniTool Partition Wizard" that allowed me to resize the different partitions and extend the next partition. Since the free space had to be adjacent to the C: drive partition that needed more room, I just kept moving more space from the D: drive partition, and then to the partition (recovery?) in between the C: and D:, and then it allowed me to move that free space to C: - problem solved. Now I don't have to buy a larger SSD just to get some room on the C: drive.

They have better instructions and a video on the site when you DL the utility in case anyone has a similar problem with Win 10.

Re: UPDATE - Problem Solved

Jun 2, 2019, 10:36 PM

I was going to tell you to run a disc cleaner/organizer. Let it fill your drive partitions better, then look at free space after you run a History cleaner to include cookies. Once you did that you could move a photo file or whatever to open up your partitioned space. But then use a Partition app to help if your space isnt available.

Replies: 14
| visibility 1,886
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic