Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Do you consider ETN to be a Power back or a Scat back?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1,466

Do you consider ETN to be a Power back or a Scat back?

Oct 9, 2018, 4:54 PM

Personally, I don't think he's either. He has speed, but he doesn't do a lot of shaking and dancing like you typically get from a scat back. He's a powerful runner and breaks a lot of tackles, but he's not a guy seeking out contact to deliver punishment either like one would associate with a power back.

Really, whatever he is is what kind of running game we have. I certainly wouldn't call it finesse, but I don't think calling it a power run game would be correct either. I can't really think of a good adjective to best describe it. Anybody got one? I know Dabo has always wanted us to run a "Power Spread" Offense, but I've always sorted associated that term with teams who mostly like to just run and not throw the ball very much out of the spread like Auburn does offensively. Dabo though wants a balanced power spread attack.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Do you consider ETN to be a Power back or a Scat back?

Oct 9, 2018, 4:55 PM

Reminds me of a faster Emmit Smith.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 9, 2018, 5:07 PM

Or a great Barry Sanders behind the O-Line Emmit had.
So he technically is a "halfback".

He's definitely closer to a power back than a scat back***

Oct 9, 2018, 5:09 PM

Can I get back to you?

Oct 9, 2018, 5:10 PM

Day 4 and I'm still trying to figure out if I'm offended by DezHowie's interpretation of finesse. And whether or not it's such a bad "label".

GO TIGERS!!!

Oct 9, 2018, 5:15 PM

To me he's an old-fashioned halfback in that he can (and will without hesitation) run the dive, power or sweep. All he wants is some daylight and he sticks his nose in it right now, accelerates and is gone downrange.

No matter what anyone says, we are developing a power running game. The power is being generated by the O-line...... they're beginning to figure it out and seem to be having fun doing it. It's way different from the power running game of years back because the blocking styles/techniques have changed over the years, but there's still a lot of the old mixed into our blocking schemes. On several plays against WF, I saw us pull the backside guard and hit the point-of-attack with the guard and the TE (H-back). I saw the center pull a few times. We're beginning to do a good job blocking down with the interior linemen and bringing the H-back and WRs into the hole to seal and kick out. On at least one play (the TD over the left OT), I was absolutely amazed by the blocking. On some plays, we're actually erecting two walls with a tunnel to run through.

Anyway, don't let anyone try to tell you we don't have a power running game, because we do. Some of the blocking may be a type of finesse that requires hands, leverage and footwork instead of old-timey pure forearm/shoulder drive blocking, but it's still power and it's effective with quick RBs like we have who can see the hole and get through it in a hurry before the LB can react to what's happening. I've been critical of our blocking in the past, but we now seem to be making the style work with the combination of O-linemen and RBs we have - and it's beautiful to see. Withe an ET, the O-line doesn't have to always put their guy on his butt and then go to the next level to block a LB (even though I saw Mitch do it Saturday) - they just have to give ET a crease and he's gone through it and will blow right by the LB.

He's moving to being a power back as he gets...........

Oct 9, 2018, 5:18 PM

bigger (compare his size now to when he was a freshman last year). He'll be a true power back IMO before he leaves Clemson after next year or the next.

Oct 9, 2018, 5:18 PM

If finesse back or offense means 63 points per game, I’ll take it. DH just likes to hear himself talk- and yell. He could use a little communication finesse himself.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes.

Oct 9, 2018, 5:21 PM

Truthfully, he's too small to be a prototypical power back, and too powerful to be a prototypical scat back. He reminds me a little of Walter Payton in that regard; fast, strong, great balance, great vision, great instincts Hard to get a hold of, and hard to bring down when you do. All in a relatively small package.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Oct 9, 2018, 5:23 PM

A speed back with power ??? He is hard to pigeon hole, other than "amazing".

ETN is a traditional RUNNING back...

Oct 9, 2018, 5:56 PM

he runs to whatever gap is the assigned play (inside, to the edge or outside) and gets there faster than the wind every time he touches the ball...

all other adjectives are deeper descriptors of the broader back that he is...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 9, 2018, 6:03 PM

Yes I do.

Oct 9, 2018, 8:04 PM

ETN is. A power back that can scat

Walter Payton with speed.......***

Oct 9, 2018, 8:11 PM

Replies: 13
| visibility 1,466
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic