Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dino Babers
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

Dino Babers

Jul 20, 2019, 8:57 PM

Reason Dino is my 2nd favorite coach in the ACC...

All the Nick Saban “we were distracted during 44-16” comments got me thinking. Back in 2016, we smoked Syracuse 54-0. After that game, to a man, Babers said something to the effect of “now we know what the standard is. Across the field, that’s exactly what it looks like. And it’s my job to get us to where we can compete with that.”

Zero excuses. No “we’re not the little brother”. Just an admission of how far he had to go & a commitment to get there. That always stuck out to me, and it’s no surprise that Syracuse is the one team who doesn’t seem to back down from us.

Would love to see them go 11-1 & kick the crud out of an SEC team in a New Years Six game.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dino Babers

Jul 20, 2019, 9:24 PM

Yep. I remember that. I thought he would be the guy I wanted if we lost dabo somehow. Well, at least he is the guy I would want outside of our coaches on campus. I also thought he was going to start giving us trouble because of that.

It reminded me of Matt Ryan getting david dunhammed and getting back up. He was a freshman that game, but I thought then that crap... this guy is going to be a handful.

Jul 20, 2019, 9:28 PM

I like Babers a lot as well and doubt Cuse holds on to him very long. Tbh, I think the ACC has the best coaches. Start with CDS, add in Addazio, Babbers, Clawson is darn good imo, Cutcliffe, Fuente if he can hire a recruiting coach. Collins is a good coach I think, just has a big rebuild, and throw in Mack. Yeah, lot of coaching talent. Doren to me has yet to show anything other than whining, so cant include him.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mendenhall...***

Jul 20, 2019, 9:57 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Mendenhall...***

Jul 20, 2019, 10:53 PM

That's right. Knew I was forgetting someone.

Re: Mendenhall...***

Jul 21, 2019, 5:46 AM [ in reply to Mendenhall...*** ]

I like Addazio and Mendenhall. Both guys get their teams to be tough as nails on D. Then Cutcliffe is the QB whisperer/also has solid Ds, and Clawson seems to be well rounded, too. I don't think you could go wrong there.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 20, 2019, 10:40 PM [ in reply to Re: Dino Babers ]

All Doren needs is a laptop on the sidelines??! Then he'd be competitive! Right!!!

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was just thinking, Dino is still on the Christmas card

Jul 20, 2019, 9:43 PM

list, but he is working his way off of it.....He may be my second favorite coach.

If a QB goes out for a 3rd straight year

Jul 20, 2019, 9:46 PM

It'll be time to send out the goons.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

4th straight year. DW4 went out with a bruised shoulder in

Jul 20, 2019, 10:26 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: If a QB goes out for a 3rd straight year

Jul 20, 2019, 10:29 PM [ in reply to If a QB goes out for a 3rd straight year ]

my lord, we have done our share of knocking QB's out of game.
Deandre Francois took a beating like I have never seen our last time against FSU.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 21, 2019, 12:56 AM

I just rewatched the game and he showed a ton of guts.

Jul 21, 2019, 11:59 AM [ in reply to Re: If a QB goes out for a 3rd straight year ]

did he ever! the only reason he was able to stay in the game is because he transferred the concussions to his girlfriend later in the week.

Jul 21, 2019, 1:38 PM [ in reply to Re: If a QB goes out for a 3rd straight year ]

DF took a beating from most teams but to be fair we most likely gave him the worst or second worst bearing of his career.

Jul 21, 2019, 5:08 PM [ in reply to Re: If a QB goes out for a 3rd straight year ]

They take beatings but a cheap shot straight to the head/neck is intentional. Hope those “unintentional” hits don’t happen again this year.

Jul 20, 2019, 10:08 PM

why FSU did not hire him is mind boggling.

Jul 20, 2019, 10:38 PM

I'm one that is glad they didn't. He would I think would be a closer equal to us with equal talent than maybe a Saban, and Saban has always had access to top of the line talent at LSU and Bama!!! And I think it was Saban that helped to get TB out and Dabo in, and he has loss two NCG to Dabo and Clemson after he helped to push TB out of Clemson. So Saban without any intentions of his own, actually has been good for Clemson FB!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 20, 2019, 10:59 PM

I think Saban also helped us get ETN so ETN would not got to LSU. At least that's what I always thought happened. I might be wrong, so feel free to correct me.

Jul 20, 2019, 11:00 PM

that was Burton Burns, former clemson RB coach

Jul 21, 2019, 4:37 PM [ in reply to Re: Dino Babers ]

If Day doesn't work out at OSU, I could see Babers being offered that job.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Jul 21, 2019, 6:59 AM

I'll look forward to your opinion on Babers once he's offered and accepts an SEC head coaching job.

Jul 21, 2019, 7:53 AM

Why would that change any opinions on him? Obviously Saban and Mullen are dang good coaches. Smart is certainly becoming one if not already. Jimbo went from ACC to SEC and while many on here do not like him we all agree he is a great coach.

Jul 21, 2019, 8:03 AM

I don't think it should change anyone's opinion of him. I think he's on his way to something far bigger than Syracuse. I've also visited here enough to know anything SEC related gets pretty much beat to death. You know the routine: SEC teams recruiting well are cheating, SEC coaches are cheats, the playoff committee is biased for the SEC. It goes on and on. Let Babers take an SEC job then sit back and read posts here.

Jul 21, 2019, 8:29 AM

AFDAWG said:

I don't think it should change anyone's opinion of him. I think he's on his way to something far bigger than Syracuse. I've also visited here enough to know anything SEC related gets pretty much beat to death. You know the routine: SEC teams recruiting well are cheating, SEC coaches are cheats, the playoff committee is biased for the SEC. It goes on and on. Let Babers take an SEC job then sit back and read posts here.

SEC teams are cheating, sorry. A lot of them just are.

I've heard on multiple occasions that about 20% of teams in college football cheat...but about 80% of the SEC does. And it's only gotten worse since most of the SEC has gotten populated with Saban-tree guys who regard, well, business as the price of doing business.

There was a reason Saban was trying to hire even Hugh Freeze and didn't seem to much care about the "optics" of it.

After Phil Fulmer turned in Alabama over that Albert Means thing in 2001 and almost got them the death penalty, new SEC commish Mike Slive - who had once been an attorney who specialized in getting teams accused of NCAA infractions out of hot water, and who apparently did it so well the SEC decided to name him commissioner - instituted a new policy whereby a member-institution that believed another SEC institution had committed NCAA violations must first submit that allegation to the SEC front office before submitting it to the NCAA...the so-called "Phil Fulmer" rule. It was of course basically the mafia law of omerta - silence - and that pretty much killed all NCAA oversight thereafter.

That was the point at which the NCAA should have kicked the SEC out of college football for going rogue - the SEC was basically giving the NCAA the finger over enforcement and regulation - but of course the NCAA is both cowardly and political and they didn't. But it also very much means the SEC operates with basic impunity compared to anyone else.

So...sorry. But there is a reason nobody else in college football likes the SEC much. Oh, and the Georgia state legislature also went one further and passed this little gem at Kirby Smart's behest concerning freedom of information requests, which makes it all but impossible for a curious journalist to effectively dig for info on, say, UGA's recruiting:
https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/5/16/11683758/georgia-uga-records-law-kirby-smart-recruiting

Jul 21, 2019, 8:44 AM

For starters, you might want to let the UGA's "freedom of information" stuff slide. Clemson could absolutely release the results of their investigation into PEDs. If the administration and Dabo thought it would reflect positively on the program, they would. You know it, I know it, and everyone reading this knows it. Rather than acknowledge it, Clemson supporters want to frame is as yet another example of the holiness of Dabo. As for recruiting, it is absurd to suggest successful SEC coaches are cheating - because they're successful. Yet, Dabo can recruit off the rails, have incredible success but it's due to high morals and virtue. I suspect there are a bunch of "hundred dollar handshakes" that go on in recruiting but I don't think those are isolated to any one program or conference. It isn't like Clemson doesn't have a history of violations.

Jul 21, 2019, 9:03 AM

It was Clemson who reported the three players who tested positive . I believe it was Alabama who said their players were suspended for violation of team rules.
And by the way, it would have been impossible for Georgia to violate NCAA rules when Vince Doely was the head of the infractions committee.

AFDawg...think for a minute

Jul 21, 2019, 11:53 AM [ in reply to Re: Dino Babers ]

Test results are essentially medical records...and the release of such information is governed. It's a healthy penalty to violate. If you want to release your info...go ahead. Three young men who've declared their innocence in the face of a gestapo-type sports governing body is scarcely the scenario under which a person should forfeit their privacy...even for your inquiring mind.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 21, 2019, 8:53 AM [ in reply to Re: Dino Babers ]

I surely agree some on here do hate on the SEC. I believe overall they are the best conference right now but not by as much as they make it out to be. Some of people claims may have merit but nobody really knows how much cheating goes on by any school.

If you don't like what we say...

Jul 21, 2019, 4:35 PM [ in reply to Re: Dino Babers ]

>>>

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

If Dino Babers was at Florida, he'd wipe his az with Georgia

Jul 21, 2019, 8:08 AM [ in reply to Re: Dino Babers ]

jersey's.

I'm not so sure that Babers would leave Syracuse

Jul 21, 2019, 11:34 AM [ in reply to Re: Dino Babers ]

for another offer, and don't count out a B1G team as a suitor, especially Michigan if Harbaugh continues to miss out on the critical W's.

Syracuse is well resourced, and Dino is stealing some B1G talent up there that want to take on east coast schools and styles of play. He certainly coaches his guys up, and though 2019 might not bring 10 wins again, I certainly don't think 10 is Dino's ceiling there. New York is a great market for a star coach, even a college one.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 21, 2019, 7:29 AM

A bit of a long shot, but conventional wisdom is that Power 5 schools are keeping an eye on Doeren. If he gets poached, State could go after Babers (if he himself isn't already poached out-of-ACC).

That might keep me up at night, if Dino were up in Raleigh. They've already poached in-conference with Tom O'Brien, who didn't exactly fail, but was fired because he couldn't or wouldn't recruit, but no way Dino would duplicate that.

If I were Boo Corrigan, that scenario would be at the top of my contingency list.

Jul 21, 2019, 7:59 AM

Forget about favorite 2nd ACC coach, Dino is my 2nd favorite CFB coach. Doubt Cuse will be able to hold onto him

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic