Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
DW4 vs TL16 - 8 games into Freshmen season
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 2,410

DW4 vs TL16 - 8 games into Freshmen season

Oct 28, 2018, 12:26 AM

Just for fun

DW4
93-137 (67.9%) 1466 yards 14 TDs 2 INTs

TL16
115-177 (65.0%) 1490 yards 16 TDs 2 INTs

Overall rating DW4 (188.6) and TL16 (163.8)... rushing DW4 (200 yards 5 TDs) and TL16 (39 yards 0 TDs).

I’m not really making any judgements on this just observation. I think it is the appropriate time to compare seeing as DW4 only got to play in 8 games his Fr season.

Both of these guys are special. I hope that TL16 continues with his current trajectory. Especially considering the wealth of weapons he has around him and will have around during his tenure.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Physically TL is ahead

Oct 28, 2018, 12:35 AM

DW was a stick figure in the beginning.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Physically TL is ahead

Oct 28, 2018, 12:53 AM

Going back and watching DW4 freshman highlights, I forgot how much good weight he put on during his time at clemson. Really developed physically.

Physically TL is ahead

Oct 28, 2018, 12:35 AM

DW was a stick figure in the beginning.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: DW4 vs TL16 - 8 games into Freshmen season

Oct 28, 2018, 1:05 AM

I don't really care to see TL 16 breaking any rushing records . Only run occasionally when it's necessary , and then get down or out of bounds .

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 28, 2018, 1:30 AM

Good stuff

We will not be able to compare the two until we see TL in clutch time and the playoffs, that's where DW4 was legendary and will never be denied his true greatness

My early impressions are that TL has a once in a generation arm, and I'm loving the few if any int's. DW4 threw alot of picks, none of us cared, but he definitely had a higher risk/reward game than TL

DW4 was unquestionably a better runner and play-maker, and I also think he threw a more accurate deep ball. TL looks to cautiously overthrow deep balls early in his career

Gonna be fascinating to watch. Can TL win a Natty? Can he win a Heisman? Sky's the limit for this kid, the arm talent is head-shaking

Oct 28, 2018, 9:11 AM

I could definitely see him leading a team to a NC. Now could he do it how DW4 did with a last minute drive? Whew - that took some guts. I’ll be curious to see if TL16 has that in him.

TL16 will win the Heisman before he leaves. That is my bold prediction. The media seems to love him. He will play on a playoff contending team. So he just needs a season where he puts on a show early in the year against a good team to have his “moment” and he will have a solid shot. He will be surrounded by weapons the next 2 or 3 years, so I could see him putting up some video game numbers.

Oct 28, 2018, 6:55 AM

Lawrence isn't quite as good as DW4 was at the same point, IMHO.

His arm is stronger. But as others have pointed out, he isn't quite as mobile and elusive, and he doesn't have quite the touch on the deep ball yet. I also don't think he sees it and goes through his progression quite as fast; he's had some open receivers downfield at times and didn't see them, and ended up eating the ball at times or throwing it away. And while Lawrence is incredibly calm and poised for a freshman, he does occasionally remind you he's still a freshman and he doesn't radiate quite that Buddha-like serenity you'd see out of Deshaun Watson, all the time, and especially in the biggest clutch moments.

Lawrence will get better, IMHO. He's really durn good already, mind, just not quite to DW4's rarified level yet. I do think Lawrence's ceiling is higher because he's taller, physically more imposing, throws across the middle better, and the ball just plain comes out faster, but it could be TL16 as a sophomore or junior before we see him ascend to that level where he's just taking whatever he wants whenever he wants. He has that level of talent, though. I'd give Deshaun Watson, on a scale of 1 to 10, about a 9 in terms of physical talent...whereas Lawrence is the very definition of a 10 and will likely be the #1 overall pick when he goes out if he continues to improve.

Oct 28, 2018, 9:06 AM

I completely agree. Watson was just special. Fearless and smooth. I think that TL16 has a ton of potential, for sure. It was just interesting to me that they were so close in terms of passing after 8 games into their freshmen season. After the UNC game Watson’s freshmen year, I thought there would never be a true freshmen to play at that level again. He set the bar extremely high, not just statistically but the way he did it. So, for me, it is awesome that TL16 is at least hanging in there on the stat line to some degree.

I’m very interested to see how he handles pressure. The stage was never to big for Watson. That sort of thing doesn’t necessarily show up on the stat line.

Oct 28, 2018, 9:13 AM [ in reply to Re: DW4 vs TL16 - 8 games into Freshmen season ]

Could say if making the comparison. My two cents is that TLaw is far ahead from a physical talent standpoint between the two. Heck he might me equal in talent now as I’ve never seen any QB in college with the arm talent Trevor has. Completely agree for him to take the next step he has to improve his deep ball accuracy. Also, I think he is progressing quite rapidly in reading defenses and finding the right WR.

Where DW was and is the greatest was his clutchness. Needing a score to win the game, everyone knew DW was gonna get it done including the other teams defense (like Bamain the natty). That’s where TLaw has to prove himself as I’m guessing we don’t win every game by 50 but who knows.

Oct 28, 2018, 9:17 AM

What DeSean Watson had couldn't always be measured on stat sheets, but anyone can see that TL has one of the best arms ever.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 10
| visibility 2,410
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic