Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Re D-Day 1944
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1

Re D-Day 1944

Jun 5, 2019, 11:08 AM

Tomorrow is the 75th. Anniversary of D-Day. Some of you are probably aware that Wright Bryan, a 1926 graduate of Clemson College was the first to report an eye witness account of the invasion. I did not hear his initial broadcast but heard a recording later in the day. Sometime later, Bryan was captured by the Germans and was a POW in Poland before being rescued by Russian troops. Bryan was the son of Arthur B. Bryan, former English professor at Clemson College. Some of the real oldsters on this board may have had him as a professor while at Clemson.

Bryan was a former editor of the Atlanta Journal and the Cleveland Plain-Dealer. From 1963 to 1970, he was Vice President of Development at Clemson. I had the privilege of knowing both Wright and his Dad and was privy to many interesting stories.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Re D-Day 1944

Jun 5, 2019, 11:33 AM

Joe21® said:

Tomorrow is the 75th. Anniversary of D-Day. Some of you are probably aware that Wright Bryan, a 1926 graduate of Clemson College was the first to report an eye witness account of the invasion. I did not hear his initial broadcast but heard a recording later in the day. Sometime later, Bryan was captured by the Germans and was a POW in Poland before being rescued by Russian troops. Bryan was the son of Arthur B. Bryan, former English professor at Clemson College. Some of the real oldsters on this board may have had him as a professor while at Clemson.

Bryan was a former editor of the Atlanta Journal and the Cleveland Plain-Dealer. From 1963 to 1970, he was Vice President of Development at Clemson. I had the privilege of knowing both Wright and his Dad and was privy to many interesting stories.

Wright Bryan also won the Pulitzer Prize for journalism. I don't remember if this came later or was in some way connected with the D-Day reports. He told me he was on the first paratrooper plane that crossed the channel and that is how he made the first report on the invasion.
Just thought I'd add that.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

His broadcast

Jun 5, 2019, 11:35 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_tciiqsDUQ

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: His broadcast

Jun 5, 2019, 4:16 PM

Thanks. Enjoyed listening to the broadcast.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Excellent stuff!***

Jun 5, 2019, 9:37 PM [ in reply to His broadcast ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks Joe and Tigersense!

Jun 5, 2019, 7:34 PM

I'd not ever listened to that and thoroughly enjoyed it. I have to say, it put me in the moment and I felt quite a bit emotional listening to the names of the young men who put their lives on the line. Just truly heroic and amazing.

I sent the youtube link and some of the details from this post to my family that they could hopefully enjoy and appreciate the moment. It's hard to reach back 75 years and make history real, but this certainly did it for me.

Thank you, gentlemen.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Clemson wasn’t that much better with Trevor Lawrence, if at all.”

Re: Re D-Day 1944

Jun 5, 2019, 9:54 PM

Joe21, it is a privilege having you as a member on Tigernet. May God continue to bless you!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 6
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic