Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Criminal justice reform law being considered.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 473

Criminal justice reform law being considered.

Nov 15, 2018, 3:12 PM

Want it, don't want it, need it, don't need it, like it, don't like it?

Reminds me of my childhood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1G-TsdNWGg

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Criminal justice reform law being considered.

Nov 15, 2018, 3:21 PM

What's being proposed?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 15, 2018, 3:34 PM

IDK, but imogene coca is playing shag.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You could not possible be old enough to remember...

Nov 15, 2018, 3:48 PM

that TV show.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You could not possible be old enough to remember...

Nov 15, 2018, 5:58 PM

and I thank my lucky stars for that every morning I wake up. :)

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

From WaPo:

Nov 15, 2018, 3:37 PM [ in reply to Re: Criminal justice reform law being considered. ]

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-endorses-bipartisan-criminal-justice-reform-bill/2018/11/14/9be8f926-e84c-11e8-bd89-eecf3b178206_story.html?utm_term=.72285ca07f29

It has bi-partisan support and could actually help make something in our country better. Go figure.

More of this type of government leadership by all involved please.

Nov 15, 2018, 3:40 PM [ in reply to Re: Criminal justice reform law being considered. ]

For all that Obama preached about this, Trump's getting it done.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-endorses-bipartisan-criminal-justice-reform-bill/2018/11/14/9be8f926-e84c-11e8-bd89-eecf3b178206_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.44bcd2f9b487

Quick scan of MSM reveals.....

NOTHING on a front page. They're all covering it. You can find it on Google. Just don't expect them to make it front and center.

Here's the bill...

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/5682/text

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The biggest thing is sentence reduction.

Nov 15, 2018, 3:47 PM [ in reply to Re: Criminal justice reform law being considered. ]

I guess Trump is going to use smaller words and fewer of them.

Need it and... wait for it...

Nov 15, 2018, 3:37 PM

..... hold on.... it's coming........................................

Almost there......

............I applaud Pres. Trump for supporting it.

Whew.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Damit,

Nov 15, 2018, 3:45 PM

I almost died from the drama.

Next up on my longtime wish list....ETHANOL

Nov 15, 2018, 3:50 PM [ in reply to Need it and... wait for it... ]

Aside from screwing up lawnmower and other small engines, creating a corn field to fuel a vehicle is not exactly environmentally friendly considering the acreage it takes to grow enough corn to replace 10% of our gasoline. PLUS it drops gas mileage (fuel efficiency). Take 8-10 acres of pristine woodlands and put in an oil well that will fuel thousands of vehicles for a year, or clearcut thousands acres of pristine woodlands and plant corn to do the same. Squirrels and every other animal that likes natural habitat votes AGAINST ethanol. While a corn field is pretty and green, it's not a natural habitat.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yo, I'm down.

Nov 15, 2018, 4:01 PM

Will be surprised if Trump supports that, but this other thing surprised me, so hey.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

It's a winner issue.

Nov 15, 2018, 4:35 PM

After Ethanol I would have a much more challenging issue, but probably more beneficial than most people will ever know. Agricultural subsidies. Yep, I'd screw the farmer. They're already screwed anyway because of subsidies depleting the profitability of the market. But specifically carbohydrate subsidies, which are most of our agricultural subsidies. Something like $20 billion a year is given to farmers to subsidize sugar-rich crops. Corn is #1. Wheat is #3. In your stomach, those are both sugar. One is slower acting and one is faster acting. Want to know why obesity is so common among the "poor" in the US? That's because the foods highest carbohydrates are the cheapest to produce, because they are the most heavily subsidized. Take that $20 billion and spend it on making vegetables cheaper, or meat. Or just pay a few weeks of interest on our national debt. Whatever. We spend $327 billion yearly treating diabetes in the US. And that's because we have too much sugars, and especially complex carbohydrates in our diet, because that's our cheapest food source because it's subsidized.

Again, this won't be popular making soft drinks, bread, Twinkies, doughnuts, cookies, and all the other crap we subsidize more expensive. But maybe Coke can do what I've always wanted and have a coke with 15 grams of sugar instead of 39. Pepsi did that and I loved it. Then they stopped selling them.

Anyway, that would be next on my list. You save $20 billion in subsidies, or if you reallocate them to healthier foods, you will still save perhaps $100 billion on treating diabetes.

PS, the food pyramid needs to be fixed also. And the history of this is deep, flawed, and very political. See, in the 1950's there was a consensus (see, there's that word again) in the medical and scientific community that fats, especially cholesterol, caused heart attacks. The thinking was, limit fat in the diet, increase carbohydrate intake, and cure heart disease. After all, it's fat clogging your arteries that causes heart attacks. After almost 70 years, this experiment has failed miserably. But the big food economic and political machine has been in place so long it's impossible to change. On the drug topic, fwiw, sugar is the number one physically addictive drug people in the US are physically addicted to. Your body is designed to naturally turn fat into sugars sufficient to fuel your energy needs. You can survive and thrive on zero carbohydrates. You can not live without fats. Period. Research now shows, and is ignored, that with increased carb intake, fat is stored, making us fat. Years of high carb intake damages the insulin making ability of the pancreas. ALSO, sugar is a natural inflammatory substance in the body. It causes and promotes inflammation. Inflammation is what causes fat to stick inside your arteries. It also causes a myriad of other medical problems over time. The inflammation caused by excessive sugar, damages your arteries much the same way smoking does by causing inflammation. We all know smoking and diabetes are risk factors for heart disease. Carbohydrate intake is right up there too but never associated.

This would be a hard sell and would take a long press conference ignoring stupid questions about #### stars and Russian collusion to get the point across. But anyway, that's #3.

Nov 15, 2018, 3:53 PM

They should also forgive and erase all felony possession of weed convictions too.

Weed is perhaps the only drug I support dropping from

Nov 15, 2018, 4:06 PM

federal law. How the heck it gets to a schedule 1 drug is beyond me. Heroin and weed are in the same category. And that's harsher than cocaine for crying out loud.

Pot falls somewhere between chocolate and coffee in its addictive qualities. Ever recall that first cigarette? You got one heck of a buzz. But what about that 2,000th cigarette? I recalled my fist nicotine buzz. I wondered how the heck people could drive and function like this. Alas, it doesn't last, like that first line of coke.

Pot is psychoactive, but so is alcohol, nicotine, and chocolate. But you don't see people robbing the 7-11 for money to get a pot fix. Doesn't happen. THC is stored in fat cells, and then SLOWLY released form the body. As such, it does not have physical withdrawal symptoms generally associated with "addictive" substances. It is psychologically addictive. It's fun getting high and you will want to get high again. But there's no PHYSICAL addiction or dangerous withdrawal like from opoids, heroine, cocaine, or nicotine. Take a daily heroin user and a daily pot user and put them on a deserted island with no pot or heroin. One will likely die. One will be fine.

Then you have the gateway drug argument. Well, it's a gateway drug because you have to go to a DRUG DEALER to get it. Eventually, that DRUG DEALER is going to want to introduce you to something more addictive and lucrative for the dealer.

Point is nicotine and especially alcohol are FAR worse than pot. I'd place it somewhere around caffeine, which is the most used drug on Earth. It needs to be sold just like cigarettes and alcohol, in a controlled, heavily taxed, and regulated system.

Agree.

Nov 15, 2018, 4:14 PM [ in reply to Re: Criminal justice reform law being considered. ]

When people say weed is a gateway drug they are correct but completely miss the reason behind it. Drug dealers are the gate. When someone who wants to party calls on a dealer who has not pot the trust established between them opens the gate.

The dealer doesn't need to expand his clientele he just expands the clientele selection to whatever he has. It all gets you high. Legalizing pot is the cure if the law makes it clear that sales to underage buyers is going to cause real legal issues for the seller.

Nov 15, 2018, 5:56 PM

Imogene Coca...what a saucy vixen. :)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 16
| visibility 473
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic