Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Crawl space remediation
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 473

Crawl space remediation

May 13, 2019, 3:29 PM

Currently renovating a house and it has a high moisture readings under the house.

Quote 1: Clean it out, seal it up better and put in heavy grade vapor barrier (current one is ripped to shreds). Evaluate later if needs a dehumidifier in the future. $4,500 (there's a crap ton of crap under the house that needs to be cleaned out)

Quote 2: All of Quote 1, plus add ATMOX system to ventilate, dehumidify, and measure air quality. $11,000

Never did anything under prior houses besides the vapor barrier. Is it worthwhile to get it all done at once?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is it bad to have standing water under the house?***

May 13, 2019, 3:33 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Indoor pool?***

May 13, 2019, 3:33 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not exactly***

May 13, 2019, 3:34 PM

Re: Crawl space remediation

May 13, 2019, 3:50 PM

check for mold next. If yes, burn it down....

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Step 1 - Figure out where the moisture is coming from

May 13, 2019, 7:00 PM

Could be condensation from ductwork, if so replace that. Could be just soggy soil. If the ground under the vapor barrier is always muddy/wet then I'd consider french drains with gravel around the edges of the crawl space, THEN a good vapor barrier.

If you have a natural spring, just sell the place and don't mention it.

I priced out an encapsulation with dehumidifier and it was like $15K. BUT the water would STILL be underneath the barrier, just sitting there, PLUS it voids your termite bond if you do a total encapsulation. We opted for 10 tons of gravel and french drains, and then put in a good vapor barrier. Wood moisture levels never get higher than 15% now and the ground is almost bone dry under the vapor barrier.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

here's the good news. Whatever you spend on

May 13, 2019, 7:22 PM

the crawlspace, your home's value will appreciate by at least double or triple that amount

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

#JustJoungeThings***

May 14, 2019, 7:00 AM

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Crawl space remediation in my neighborhood is...

May 14, 2019, 1:14 AM

Taking back your crawl space from whoever has been crawling in there for the past few weeks.

Right now I’m fighting a couple that are starting to get the best of me. It’s an almost daily battle. I’m getting sick of it. It’s like they don’t want me to live down here anymore.

Is it your fur ever home?

May 14, 2019, 4:11 AM

If yes, encapsulation might be worth it. If not, put down a new, heavy vapor barrier and call it a day. Have it inspected in the winter when humidity is lower if you're worried about it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The road goes on forever and the party never ends...

What area are you in, may know a guy.

May 14, 2019, 7:50 AM

Also, can you save thousands by cleaning stuff out on your own?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would start with quote 1, see what difference it makes.

May 14, 2019, 9:43 AM

Then go from there.

for the cost of crawl space work after the house is built

May 14, 2019, 9:55 AM

One would think that finishing/concreting the crawl space before the house is built complete with drains and vents would be the cheaper (in the long run) method of house construction.

Or just build it on raised slab and never have to deal with it again.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 12
| visibility 473
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic