Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Concerns for baseball moving forward
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

Concerns for baseball moving forward

Mar 17, 2019, 10:10 PM

What are some of your concerns for the baseball team? Pitching is young but talented. Freshman hitters are going to be up and down all year. Hawkins started off great but really struggled this weekend. I also like GB but having him as the three hole hitter all year may be tough. Big hit today but also hit into three double plays this weekend and his defense was shaky. I think there’s going to be growing pains this year but I think there is a nice young core for the future

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Biggest problem right now is errors

Mar 17, 2019, 10:14 PM

(which cost us the game today) and hitting, especially with runners in scoring position. Batters take too many good first pitches and watch too many 3rd strikes.

Re: Concerns for baseball moving forward

Mar 17, 2019, 10:17 PM

You couldn't see a 3 game sweep of UNC coming. What do you think they thought afterwards? So 4-2 against UNC and ND. I don't think anyone wouldn't have taken that scenario before it played out.

Mar 17, 2019, 10:19 PM

ND might be sub 500 but they have been on a road trip to start this season. I think they played well and took advantage of Tiger mistakes.

This Tiger team lacks bullpen pitchers with a strike out pitch. That is going to drive us nuts this season. The hitting needs to improve, but their approach at the plate seems the same as past years so I’m not too hopeful they learn to play effective small ball.

Mar 17, 2019, 10:25 PM

The pitchers with the best “stuff” on the team are the young guys. Holt jones has a lively fastball and has been good so far. Spiers got a lot of important outs last year and will do the same this year. Owen Griffith has a pretty good fastball/breaking ball but command can be an issue with him at times. The offense just has to hit better. Two runs against Notre Dame is not good

Mar 17, 2019, 10:59 PM

They need to attack the hitters with 2 strikes, I can see one pitch off the plate with a 0-2 count.
But stop trying to make the perfect pitch, just keep it down and in the strike zone .
All our pitchers throw too many pitches trying to hit the corners. Which leads to a lot of full counts and starters with 70 pitches in the 4th inning.

Mar 17, 2019, 10:40 PM

I say BengalBilly is spot on. As for “birdie “. I’ll be glad when he moves on. He’s had ok D over his career but subpar hitting. This year may be his best but definitely don’t think he’s a three hole hitter.

Just a bad weekend. Again defer to BengalBilly. Risp and fielding in the infield has been our downfall in the games we lost but when you hold a team to 5 runs or less you should win most of those games. And we have.

The only question I had for today was not bunting in the 9th. They probably take the out and load the bases and draw infield and outfield in. Then pinch hit with your best flyball speedy runner that is patient and will protect the plate and choke up and put the ball in play.

That way multiple plays we can plate a run and all the pressure is on ND.

Long run, we’ll be good at the end of the year.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 17, 2019, 11:07 PM

I was hoping he would have a break out year and be a good Vet leader . I’m sick of seeing J Greene all 5-8 150 lbs swinging for the fence and popping up.
He would be a perfect lead off hitter driving the ball in the ground.

Mar 17, 2019, 11:14 PM

Yeah his approach makes no sense. Smallest guy on the team but takes huge hacks.

Mar 18, 2019, 9:46 AM [ in reply to Re: Concerns for baseball moving forward ]

Come on man. His arm sleeve says BOOMSTICK. You gotta give him a break

Mar 18, 2019, 1:54 PM [ in reply to Re: Concerns for baseball moving forward ]

Driving the ball in the ground in college means you are out.

Please do some research and see that in college baseball and professional baseball, ground balls typically have a batting average under .250.

Greene may not need to try for home runs every time he swings but he should not be trying to "drive the ball in the ground".

Small guys should try to hit the ball over the heads of the infielders.

In old school baseball this was called trying to hit "line drives".

Line drives are not on the ground.

A ground ball should only be a goal for a hit & run or with infield back, runner on 3rd, and less than 2 outs.

Mar 18, 2019, 2:20 PM

TIGERSO, GOOD LUCK. DO NOT BLOODY YOUR HEAD BEATING IT AGAINST THE WALL TRYING TO TALK TO THESE GUYS THAT PLAYED LITTLE LEAGUE OR ARE EXPERTS BECAUSE THEIR KIDS PLAY. IT IS TRULY AMAZING ALL THE ARGUMENTS YOU SEE IN HERE.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 18, 2019, 2:31 PM

Thank you deroberts.

I do understand the approach you get from posters like winitall and the like.

Sometimes I do want to post responses for those who are interested in hearing a reasonable take on baseball because it is a sport than many casual fans know very little about.

I don't want those who are actually interested in answers to be subjected only to nonsense.

I love to discuss baseball and my wife has accused me once or twice of being willing to talk about it with almost anyone.

I've had conversations with my now 2 year old daughter well before she had any clue what I was talking about.

Sadly she isn't around right now so I have to lower my standards and respond to some of these bored geniuses.

Mar 18, 2019, 2:56 PM

WINITALL IS NO TIGER FAN. THE GUY HAS BEEN BANNED MULTIPLE TIMES. NO ONE FEELS WORSE THAN TEO WHEN HE DIDNT GET DOWN THE BUNT. GUESSING MOST OF THE GOOBERS COMPLAINING HAVE NEVER STOOD IN FRONT OF A 100 MPH PITCH MUCH LESS TRIED TO BUNT IT. TEO LAID DOWN A GREAT BUNT FOR A HIT JUST DAYS BEFORE. MONTES TEAMS ARE NOT BUILT ON SMALL BALL BUT AS HE SAID WE DO PRACTICE IT EVERY DAY. THIS TEAM HAS A LOT OF VERY YOUNG AND TALENTED PLAYERS THAT WILL ONLY GET BETTER AS THE YEAR GOES ON BUT THE LIZARDS ON HERE ONLY CARE ABOUT WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR ME TODAY.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 18, 2019, 4:26 PM [ in reply to Re: Concerns for baseball moving forward ]

LOL popping it up doesn’t

Mar 18, 2019, 4:50 PM

A player like Greene with his size and ability would best suit him to rely on his speed . He has never hit for AVG any way . I guess you know more than the former pro players calling or games. I have more than once heard on ESPN3 them say the same exact thing I did.

Mar 18, 2019, 1:58 PM [ in reply to Re: Concerns for baseball moving forward ]

I say BengalBilly is spot on. As for “birdie “. I’ll be glad when he moves on. He’s had ok D over his career but subpar hitting. This year may be his best but definitely don’t think he’s a three hole hitter.

Just a bad weekend. Again defer to BengalBilly. Risp and fielding in the infield has been our downfall in the games we lost but when you hold a team to 5 runs or less you should win most of those games. And we have.

The only question I had for today was not bunting in the 9th. They probably take the out and load the bases and draw infield and outfield in. Then pinch hit with your best flyball speedy runner that is patient and will protect the plate and choke up and put the ball in play.

That way multiple plays we can plate a run and all the pressure is on ND.

Long run, we’ll be good at the end of the year.

We need to be able to bunt in certain situations and it seems to me since Monte has been there, that is one part of fundamental baseball we just can’t do. I don’t like to bunt the runner over often but situations like the 9th you have to be able to do it and Green’s fly ball wins us the game.

Mar 17, 2019, 11:15 PM

Fundamentals. Catch the ball and make the easy play.

Mar 18, 2019, 8:56 AM

Way to many errors and walks -- they cost us runs every game** and like Daniel said,just catch the ball & make the simple play !!

Mar 18, 2019, 9:26 AM

I'm not concerned about the defense. That will be fine
Timely hitting and inconsistent pitching.

Mar 18, 2019, 9:34 AM

Biggest things I’d like to see:
-playing a little small ball to try to manufacture some runs
-Monte is showing a tendency to try to let his relievers work out of jams they created and getting into a bigger hole so a little quicker trigger I think
-like several others have said some more timely hitting
-freshman pitching I expect to improve as the season goes on but has been solid for the most part, would like to see some more arms in the bullpen get developed so we’re not relying on Jones, Clark, Henny, and Spiers so much

All in all, pretty happy with where this team is at. Losing Strider before the season and Crawford for a while are sizable blows to the rotation, and the SCAR and ND series I certainly think we should’ve won but the UNC sweep showed you what this team could be I think.

Mar 18, 2019, 9:46 AM

I hate to say it but sometimes it looks like our approach to hitting is like some of the Jack L years. Our hitters will watch a strike go over the middle of the plate, swing at the next pitch out of the zone and then going 0-2 or 1-2 never see another good pitch to hit. I could be wrong, but it just seems like I didn't see as much as that last year.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 18, 2019, 1:59 PM

You are literally describing what is posted on the board every time a Clemson team, and probably most other teams in the country, face a good or hot pitcher and don't score runs.

It was posted on the board last year when we didn't score enough.

It was posted every year before that when we didn't score enough.

Good pitchers can freeze a good hitter with pitches that go against their tendencies or with pitches that have a lot of movement.

This happens to all hitters, not just Clemson's hitters.

Mar 18, 2019, 7:22 PM

You are right and I know that. That is what good pitchers do. But it seems like we are turning a lot of average pitchers into good pitchers. ND's pitcher in the first game was excellent, but I did not feel like we did much at all against their pitchers in game two and three. In game two we scored runs in that one inning, not because we were pounding the ball. I'm not complaining, just making an observation. We were much more aggressive against UNC's pitchers.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No concerns***

Mar 18, 2019, 1:44 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Mar 18, 2019, 3:31 PM

This team is 2020 ACC championship team. Youth will grow up. Pitchers are great but young. This team will win about 38 games. Borderline host. Just wait Omaha is coming!!

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic