Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Commitable offer
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Commitable offer

Jul 28, 2018, 9:44 PM

Probably a stupid question and I’m sure I’ll get a “SIGHHH” from a particular a-hole but can anyone explain what exactly a commitable offer is? I keep seeing this phrase but have a hard time believing a coach would offer a recruit but tell him we won’t accept a commitment. Any insight is appreciated.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Commitable offer

Jul 28, 2018, 9:52 PM

I think its a way for coaches to be honest with players..."we like you and have a spot for you...if another guy we're waiting on doesn't accept."

Jul 28, 2018, 9:54 PM

What is an offer on a house with contingencies?? I mean, either you make an offer or you don’t. Don’t tell me you’ll live up to it ONLY if your current house sells. An offer is an offer!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Well, it basically can go like this..

Jul 28, 2018, 9:58 PM

"We have 5 defensive ends on the roster and one current commit. We expect that Mr, Junior to declare for the draft or Mr. Sophmore to transfer out, but neither have happened yet. SO we would like to let you know that you have a scholarship waiting as soon as one of those spots come open. We want you as our next DE commit."

The offer is there but not commitable to accept at that point.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

An a-hole on TigerNet? Not possible.***

Jul 28, 2018, 10:04 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not around much, I take it...***

Jul 28, 2018, 10:57 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 28, 2018, 10:06 PM

If you haven’t read Jeff Scotts article on tci, I’d say it’s well worth it. He explained how and why and what a clemson offer is and how it’s different from other colleges... most other colleges are coaches. Just my two cents.

Hey I get TD all the time but I’m no English major, often misunderstood.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 29, 2018, 12:00 AM

By offering a recruit that isn't a take at the moment. You hope it helps to maintain their interest. Most recruits will focus on the schools that have offered. You don't want to lose a top recruit to another school and be so far behind with your 2nd/3rd choice because you didn't offer soon enough.

Jul 29, 2018, 12:17 AM

That’s not what Clemson does though. They don’t offer unless they’re ready to take that offer. They’re not like LSU or most sec school that sends an offer to every top 300 prospect. When they send an offer rheyre ready to take it. See the op below.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 30, 2018, 2:32 PM

OP never specified Clemson in his question.

Jul 28, 2018, 11:47 PM

A commitable offer, at least in Clemson’s case, means that when the offer is presented they are ready to accept your commitment. But let’s say Battle, for instance, didn’t accept the offer when it was given and decided to keep looking. So in that scenario the coaches continue recruiting other players and if they’ve found ones they like better, better fit, etc they can say to the prospect “Hey we were ready to take you when we originally offered, but you waited and we couldn’t do right now we don’t have a spot for you.”

Jul 29, 2018, 12:36 AM

Yeah charlietown, I thought Jeffs interview went in that article but I guess not. BTig13 is spot on but I don’t mean to insult your intelligence or anyone else’s but the one thing that Clemson is crystal clear on and why they take time to offer is they explain to said recruits exactly what is expected when they call and offer you an offer, ie acedeminia, work ethic, social skills etc etc, very much unlike a lot of schools (coots) (uga) who blur the lines and lead you on.

BAT said, we tell our cruits we’re taking 3 spots at LB. when we get two, we may tell said recrui hey, we’re confident Vonta is committed at the AIC. If we’re still really wanted that recruit. Then if recruit doesn’t commit right then, we take Vonta as our 4th then said recruits know we aint taking anymore and then they go commit to Texas.

Or in aTm case the guy thought we’d hold out and take him, maybe beg him to come but we moved on, got who we wanted, then he pouted and tried to call cbv a liar... made himself look like a fool.

Long but hth some too.

Who was that again?***

Jul 29, 2018, 5:59 AM

Re: Who was that again?***

Jul 29, 2018, 8:01 AM

O’Neal in aTm example and Tillman to Texas after we got LaVonta.

It's like proposing marriage.

Jul 29, 2018, 7:33 AM

There was a time when people were lawfully bound in a contract by their words. With moral decay of America came a measure of desensitizing from rapid and violent exposure to immoral acts such as dishonesty. The laws have now been change as much as just ignored. So much for the foundation of my next paragraph so on to it.

'Breach of promise, was the cry of many women who had been scorned after having a man propose then back out of the agreement. The concept of law is such that if one party made an offer and another party accepted the offer a contract was formed between them. 'A man's word is his bond.'

Good people, starting with Dabo, refuse to back out of such commitments without being completely justified by some act of breach of trust from the other party with whom they are bonded. It's complicated in a manner but simple in that the concept of being honest is forefront if one was born and raised with integrity which brings me to my next point but that's another story...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It's like proposing marriage.

Jul 29, 2018, 8:07 AM

Spot on! +1- now lets hear the rest of the story!!! Or the other story.

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic