Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
College Football Playoff and Bowl Proposal
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1

College Football Playoff and Bowl Proposal

Jul 19, 2019, 1:49 PM

End the "which conference is the best":

Playoff:
Power 5 conference champions plus highest rated other team (whether they are from a power 5 or not):
Top 2 teams as selected by committee get a bye
Other 4 play each other mid December in selected bowls
Semi Finals on New Year's Day (last games of the day)
Championship Game around 1/7

Bowls:
6 bowls bid to feature the #2 and #3 teams from each power 5 conference with 2 at large bids
Teams aligned to the #2 from a conference plays #2 from another conference and then #3's play each other.

Rest of the bowls for fun, travel and a few $s,.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: College Football Playoff and Bowl Proposal

Jul 19, 2019, 2:03 PM

Or no. Because they can't get 4 competitive teams as it is except once in a blue moon. UGA lost to Alabamas backup, Alabama lost to us by 4 TD's that wouldn't be competitive and the loss to Texas proves it. ND wasn't competitive nor was OU and OSU lost by 21 to Purdue they'd have been throttled by us OU or Alabama.

2017 they wanted Auburn in there who lost to UCF.

2016 Washington and Ohio State were both decimated in the playoffs.

2015 OU and Michigan state were slaughtered

2014 FSU was absolutely killed and then Oregon was beaten down subsequently due to the previous games injuries (adding another game would only heighten this issue)

It's not an expansion problem, it's a "Clemson and Alabama have seperated themselves so far from the CFB world that nobody can compete" problem. The playoff doesn't need to be more inclusive, someone just needs to step up and present a challenge to either team.

That "either" is now ether...***

Jul 19, 2019, 2:40 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No need for other teams to step up ... I like it the way it

Jul 19, 2019, 2:45 PM [ in reply to Re: College Football Playoff and Bowl Proposal ]

is

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 19, 2019, 2:45 PM

I would also say... I dont think auto-bids for the conference champions is the best idea. Say for instance Pitt beat Clemson last year.

Jul 19, 2019, 2:50 PM

This or something very much like it is likely the next step. A full 8-team setup is probably not worth it except to get the SEC 3 teams in the playoffs. Power 5 champs + 1 is probably plenty fine. First four play before Christmas, but at higher ranked team's home field if possible, to reduce travel costs and disruption of bowls. So #1, #2 get a bye, #3 and #4 play at home, #5 and #6 get to be in CFP and complain about not being in top 4.

With all that, I was fairly pleased with the BCS getting proper #1 and #2 lined up more often than not, the LSU/Bama rematch being an obvious exception even with how it turned out.

Others have pointed out why we don't really need more teams in CFP, using same logic I've used as to why we didn't need CFP since BCS was doing a pretty good job almost every year.

Of course, the +1 here would more often than not be the SEC runner-up and not a non-P5 team, if ESPN gets a say, but might make ND actually join the ACC.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You did a better job than me with the logic

Jul 19, 2019, 3:19 PM

Agree it might get ND to join the ACC in football
I also think it would make every power 5 conference championship really matter
Would also lessen the chance of 2 SEC teams

Agree that some of the playoff games lately have been lopsided but I think this would make it more, not less interesting. For example, would last year have been:

Last year we would have had:

Alabama (SEC) and Clemson(ACC) - bye

Notre Dame (at large) vs Wash St (Pac 12)

Oklahoma (Big 12) vs Ohio St (Big 10)

I think those would have been competitive games

Jul 19, 2019, 5:38 PM

Since the 4 team playoff began, I can’t recall a serious argument where it was suggested that a team left out of the playoff would likely have beaten the playoff champion. With 8 teams in it, most teams ranked 9 through 20 will have beaten at least 1 of the 8 selected and they will cry foul and beg for the playoff to be expanded.

Replies: 7
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic