Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
College Baseball
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1,411

College Baseball

Apr 17, 2019, 9:56 AM

I think some of the expectations here for college baseball players is a little out of wack. Some seem to forget that most great high school players go straight to the pros. This isn’t college football where all the great players are funneled through college.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the tigers and cheer for them in all sports. BUT college baseball just isn’t at the same level as college football. It’s not even close. So I think expectations on some of these kids (and in turn the coaches) needs to be tempered a bit. Let’s not even get into the crazy scholarship differences from school to school.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: College Baseball

Apr 17, 2019, 9:57 AM

What you talking about Willis?

Apr 17, 2019, 10:00 AM

A lot do go to the PROs but most of the great American big leaguers played in College.

Apr 17, 2019, 10:16 AM

Sure, a lot of college players develop into great pros, I don’t argue that point at all. I’m pretty sure that number though is much smaller than the percentage of college football players.

My point is enjoy the game if you like college ball but lay off the kids and coaches. I should probably say the same for college football, but I get the pressure due to the $$$ poured into it. Lets not pretend these guys are equivalent talent wise to what you see in college football.

Apr 17, 2019, 10:15 AM

I'll agree with some of your post but couldn't disagree more about expectations. Most of these kids have played baseball at a fairly high level most of their lives. Heck when their season is over at CU some play elsewhere during the summer and they have a fall season. When you've played that long there are a few things you should know by the time you get to a D1 college or any level of college baseball.

See what they give you...hit behind the runner!
Bunt or at least make somewhat of an attempt at a real bunt!
If you are 5' nothing and pinch hitting don't swing out of your shoes hoping for a dinger!
Make them pay for the shift!
Heads up base running!
Pay attention when you aren't hitting!

In no way am I being overly critical of the Tigers...they are young and these are the growing pains but some of these kids know better esp in certain situations. Perfect example, last night one of our veteran players who happened to be having a good night at the plate watched 2 perfect pitches and then screwed himself into the ground swinging at a pitch that broke straight into the dirt! Another guy we depend on, young but plenty of experience was swinging for the fence soon as he got off the dang bus! Just hit a long fly ball to advance or score a runner! Take the sacrifice, score the run, play defense and head back to God's Country! Baseball is a very simple game. Go TIGERS!

Apr 17, 2019, 10:53 AM

D1 college baseball is not the big time. Not dissing it, but it’s not the highest level for this age group.

Sure, there are basics to the game that they should all know at this point. But kids make mistakes. Especially in big moments. The great players get it. Most of these guys are not “great” players; not yet at least.

Apr 17, 2019, 11:10 AM

It doesn’t matter all the colleges are getting high school kids. We’re all on the same playing field and we are not doing well enough the last decade. Do you think Florida baseball talks about losing players to the draft early and how it dampened their expectations?

Replies: 6
| visibility 1,411
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic