Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Coach IM Ibrahim
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 44
| visibility 1

Coach IM Ibrahim

Jun 27, 2013, 8:13 AM

Only coach at Clemson with 2 National Championships
Went 8 years ('72-'79) without losing a conference game and won every ACC title during that span. Made recruiting foreign players the norm in college soccer , for the nation as well as Clemson. This man should get a Ring Of Honor nod .

What do ya think about that ?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Didnt mean to post in baseball...doh!

Jun 27, 2013, 8:21 AM

got excited about my really excellent post topic and made a mistake...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Re: Coach IM Ibrahim

Jun 27, 2013, 8:23 AM

Coach Ibrahim should already be a part of the Ring of Honor. Hard to beat his will to win and what he brought to Clemson Soccer.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 27, 2013, 8:27 AM

Coached Clemsoccer from 1967-1994.
Won the 1984 & 1987 National Championships.
Went 388-100-31 overall.
Won 11 ACC Championships , and 13 regular season titles.
Had 17 NCAA appearances and 6 Final Fours.
His teams finished in the top 20 in 18 seasons.
Coached 3 US Olympians.
16 players of his won All American honors (for 24 total)
8 players of his won ACC POY honors (for 12 total)

DB23

Coached a Hermann Trophy winner too- Bruce Murray

Jun 27, 2013, 8:30 AM

The Hermann Trophy is college soccer's Heisman

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one word: Victory. Victory at all costs—Victory in spite of all terror—Victory, however long and hard the road may be..." - Winston Churchill

I thought he already was, but can't find it on the website

Jun 27, 2013, 8:29 AM

The 1984 team was inducted in 2009 and stadium at Riggs Field is named in his honor as well. Just like Danny, he had his own issues with the administration and left under a cloud of controversy. Now that Ford is in the ROH, it sets a good precedent for Ibrahim's induction.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one word: Victory. Victory at all costs—Victory in spite of all terror—Victory, however long and hard the road may be..." - Winston Churchill

Agreed! Should be a no brainer. Great Coach...Better Man!***

Jun 27, 2013, 8:29 AM

Contribution

Jun 27, 2013, 8:31 AM

? Coach " I " was an innovator , an instantly recognizable and legendary figure in college soccer. I personally feel as though he is the best Tiger coach in our athletics history , regardless of the type of sport.

DB23

Jun 27, 2013, 8:32 AM

I went to clemson soccer camp and he coached us. Went to his house and had a picnic, he had a pool that wrapped half way under his house, was awesome.

Jun 27, 2013, 8:34 AM

Also had a clemson soccer ball that was autographed by him and a lot of the players...I have no idea what happened to it.

Didnt know that Murray

Jun 27, 2013, 8:35 AM

Had won the soccer "Heisman". Thanks for the tip off. My little brother the Cootfan will be upset when he hears that one.

DB23

Wojtek Krakowaik won it too in 1998

Jun 27, 2013, 8:40 AM

http://www.clemsontigers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=657787&SPID=103704&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=28500&ATCLID=205530819

recruited the two best kickers in Clemson football history

Jun 27, 2013, 8:36 AM

arguably.....

Obed Ariri and Donald Igwebuike

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: recruited the two best kickers in Clemson football history

Jun 27, 2013, 8:38 AM

They were great kickers , although David Treadwell gets my vote at greatest in Clemson History (just an opinion)

DB23

Yep, we've got to get Coach Ibrahim his proper dues NEXT!

Jun 27, 2013, 8:42 AM

gOtiGERS!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Treadwell was clutch, but I think Gardocki had the best leg.

Jun 27, 2013, 8:48 AM [ in reply to Re: recruited the two best kickers in Clemson football history ]

Obed and Donald were also excellent. Donald's playing time was more limited because Paulling kicked extra points (and shorter field goals if I remember correctly).

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Nelson Welch, IMO, he kept pace with the others

Jun 27, 2013, 9:05 AM [ in reply to Re: recruited the two best kickers in Clemson football history ]

before him and had to use the narrower NFL width posts.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wojtek

Jun 27, 2013, 8:44 AM

Wasnt an Ibrahim player...but is obviously a Tiger soccer great. I watched Murray while I was in high school in Moncks Corner...he was fantastic.

DB23

Gardocki was great

Jun 27, 2013, 8:51 AM

No argument on any of those four mentioned. Also , off topic but Catanzaro is really good now.

DB23

Yep a couple more game winning kicks this year and the

Jun 27, 2013, 8:56 AM

Catman may go down as one of our best kickers ever. He's come a long way since his freshman year...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yep a couple more game winning kicks this year and the

Jun 27, 2013, 8:59 AM

The kick to win the LSU game could be a springboard event. It followed an entire game , total team and coaching effort against a team that was expected to beat us . Catanzaro's kick might be a flashpoint for Dabo and his career at Clemson.

DB23

Agree - ROH***

Jun 27, 2013, 9:00 AM

Re: Nelson Welch, IMO, he kept pace with the others

Jun 27, 2013, 9:17 AM

Welch was good. Funny , I title a subject on our legendary soccer coach , place it in the baseball board and end up talking tiger football kickers. SMH

DB23

Threads have the tendency to get derailed around here...

Jun 27, 2013, 9:22 AM

especially with Hartins joining the fray.

Whereupon I attempt honest and faithful responses only

Jun 27, 2013, 9:33 AM

to find sub-remarks about my daily intake of certain regulatory medicines along with my predilection for Senior Citizens' Bingo Nights. lol

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What time does the Early Bird start at Cracker Barrel?***

Jun 27, 2013, 9:38 AM

I agree with you without reservations....When he became

Jun 27, 2013, 9:18 AM

the Coach in 1967, I was serving as the Editor of "The Tiger," and he visited our offices repeatedly to garner publicity for the program. Accepting his invitations to practices and matches, the sports staff and I appreciated his careful efforts to explain the game to us, and, thusly, we promoted the program. The fact that we were close friends with most of the players, also, encouraged our efforts.

During one of the practices a team member by the name of Mark Rubich walked up to me and asked, "Do you understand what we're doing?" I joked, "He!l no...but I'll give all of you an A+ for all of that running around!" He laughed...then went on to earn All-ACC and All-Clemson honors as a senior. They were a dedicated group of fine, young men led by a dedicated, determined and skillful Coach. He should be so honored.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Another great story hartins!***

Jun 27, 2013, 9:24 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Soccer post on the baseball thread talking football***

Jun 27, 2013, 9:25 AM

LOL....That's why I tend to head straight for the "Tiger

Jun 27, 2013, 9:30 AM

Boards" threads, as they seem to be a catch-all for all of our programs. Then again, maybe I'm just confused....

^^^I vote for the ladder.***

Jun 27, 2013, 9:38 AM

^^^Thus, confusion is my name; derailing is your game! lol***

Jun 27, 2013, 9:43 AM

@ hartins :

Jun 27, 2013, 9:27 AM

Excellent stuff. Very interesting to hear insider takes on my Tigers. I just put a pillow over my lap .

DB23

Is the 4 year degree thing keeping him out like Jim Phillips***

Jun 27, 2013, 9:33 AM

If he had a PhD in chemistry...

Jun 27, 2013, 9:44 AM

then I imagine he had a 4-year degree.

Didn't know all that about him; my bad...***

Jun 27, 2013, 9:47 AM

Yep it was DR. I. M. Ibrahim...

Jun 27, 2013, 9:48 AM [ in reply to If he had a PhD in chemistry... ]

Dr. Ibrahim earned his undergraduate degree from Shorter College, his Master's Degree from Clemson University, and concluded his education with a Ph.D. in Chemistry from Clemson University in 1970. He is an inductee into the Clemson University Athletic Hall of Fame, the Shorter College Athletic Hall of Fame, and the South Carolina Athletic Hall of Fame. He was honored by South Carolina Governor #### Riley with the Order of the Palmetto in February, 1985. In 1974, Ibrahim founded The Tiger Sports Shop, Inc. and served as its president from 1974 to 2008.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I._M._Ibrahim

good businessman too, owned half od Clemson

Jun 27, 2013, 9:34 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"something in these hills..." -joe sherman

I promised myself

Jun 27, 2013, 9:36 AM

that when I reached the 250 pt plateau on here that I would become a TNet donor. Need to get the checkbook out . What is the first time donor standard ?

DB23

Dig deep for that "Orange" level...Fairly cheap

Jun 27, 2013, 9:45 AM

entertainment and information in my opinion....Plus, some day, you might...mind you, I said "might"...just get a set of steak knives! lol

^^^This guy knows about cheap***

Jun 27, 2013, 9:49 AM

Stadium at Riggs is already named after him

Jun 27, 2013, 9:44 AM

I think it's only a matter of time.

lol...cheap it is !

Jun 27, 2013, 11:30 AM

IM Ibrahim to the ring of honor ! ( could do that for free...or the cost and labor of installing a mans name on a facade)

DB23

No Clemson coach has ever contributed more

Jun 27, 2013, 11:37 AM

to the University than him.

Re: No Clemson coach has ever contributed more

Jun 27, 2013, 12:22 PM

Agreed. Died too young. I suppose the Admins and BOTs will figure it out before my demise...i hope.

DB23

Replies: 44
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic