Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson's Biggest Rivals
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

Clemson's Biggest Rivals

May 9, 2019, 3:20 PM

First time posting but I wanted to see what everyone else thought. Who would you consider to be Clemson's 3 biggest rivals in order?

Right now for me, it's FSU, Scar, and Bama.

I wasn't around for the 80's UGA rivalry but I definitely have a ton of disdain for them mostly because of there fans.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wyoming, Cuse and Pitt***

May 9, 2019, 3:21 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson's Biggest Rivals

May 9, 2019, 3:32 PM

Looks like we could put the coots and the pack in a pile together and consider Bama and FSU rivals.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

May 9, 2019, 4:04 PM

i would definitely add uga to that list....to me it will always be south carolina,uga. and fsu the biggest.however the alabama rivalry has been fun the last 4 years.

My take

May 9, 2019, 4:15 PM

I would have it as SCAR, GT, NCSU

Georgia was a great rivalry when we played frequently, and can be again, but I would not call it a top 3 right now. Florida State is moving toward being a great rivalry, but it doesn't have the tenure of some of the others, and was pretty lopsided until the last decade or so. Bama has been a huge opponent for us lately, but I would not call it a rivalry, for a few of the reasons mentioned above.

To me, rivalries need 4 key factors:
1) Played on a frequent, if not regular, basis
2) Have developed over a number of years
3) Are generally competitive (and somewhat even over time)
4) Are mutual - How can we have someone in our top 3 that does not have us in their top 3?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Given your parameters, then how can you NOT include...

May 9, 2019, 4:50 PM

FSU??? We've been playing them EVERY YEAR since they joined the ACC back in the '90s, and several big, classic games before that. They owned us then, we own them now. They still have the series advantage but we look to continue evening that up in the foreseeable future. They are our perennial divisional rival for the ACC championship.

We are very comparable to FSU in regards to the national stature of the programs. You could pretty much say we have become what FSU was in the early '90's to the mid 2000's; the nationally-dominant ACC team that no one wants to play and everyone wants to beat, and who out-recruits nearly everybody else in the country.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I thought I addressed FSU

May 9, 2019, 5:03 PM

While we have won 4 in a row and 10 of 16, we are still 12-20 lifetime, and lost 11 straight after they joined the ACC. I said it is definitely trending toward the top 3, but I don't have them in my top 3 right now. I guess they would consider us a top 3 for them, but if so, we would probably be #3. We have played NC State 57 times, and GT 84 times, so they both have significantly more history.

It's just my opinion. Ask me in 10 years and you may get a completely different answer.

Re: I thought I addressed FSU

May 9, 2019, 5:31 PM

dsgriff® said:

While we have won 4 in a row and 10 of 16, we are still 12-20 lifetime, and lost 11 straight after they joined the ACC. I said it is definitely trending toward the top 3, but I don't have them in my top 3 right now. I guess they would consider us a top 3 for them, but if so, we would probably be #3. We have played NC State 57 times, and GT 84 times, so they both have significantly more history.

It's just my opinion. Ask me in 10 years and you may get a completely different answer.

If being 12-20 makes us not a rival of FSU, Wouldn’t 42-70 make UofSC not our rival?

12-20 = 37.5 win %
42-70 = 37.5 win %

Re: I thought I addressed FSU

May 9, 2019, 5:31 PM [ in reply to I thought I addressed FSU ]

dsgriff® said:

If being 12-20 makes us not a rival of FSU, Wouldn’t 42-70 make UofSC not our rival?

12-20 = 37.5 win %
42-70 = 37.5 win %

Did I say FSU was not a rivalry?

May 9, 2019, 5:43 PM

Or did I say it was not YET a top 3 rivalry...in MY opinion?

Re: My take

May 9, 2019, 4:54 PM [ in reply to My take ]

FSU is 100% a rivalry, closer statistically in W/L than the GT NC State and U5C series by a landslide and there's nearly always more on the line than when we play any of the 3.

Closer statistically than only NCSU

May 9, 2019, 5:37 PM

It is a rivalry, and a rapidly developing one, but not in MY CURRENT top 3

How about this?

May 9, 2019, 5:51 PM [ in reply to My take ]

Top rival last 5 years...Alabama
Top rival of last 10 years...Auburn
Top rival last 20 years...FSU
Top rival of 80s...UGA

Top rivals over history...I sand by my original response

May 9, 2019, 4:15 PM

By definition, a rivalry is a “lasting competitive relationship” between two persons or groups. Don’t know if we play ‘Bama and Ugh-a often enough to meet this definition.

Hence I would say our three biggest rivals would be the coots, FSU and Ga Tech. If Dino keeps progressing at Syracuse, I could see them replacing Tech in the future.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 9, 2019, 4:39 PM

I personally hate georgia more than uscjr

May 9, 2019, 4:43 PM

Wow!! Congratulations!!

I just noticed you got 103 pts on you first post.
Well done!

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 10, 2019, 1:50 AM

Thanks! Been reading for awhile and finally got around to posting

May 9, 2019, 4:51 PM

1)UofSC
2)FSU
3)Pack/Bees (If you don't hate NCST, go to a game in Raleigh, you quickly will)

May 10, 2019, 1:53 AM

Never been to a game in Raleigh but I've heard nothing but negative things

May 9, 2019, 5:06 PM

Right now, our only rival is Alabama. Throughout the year, Tigernet will be discussing if our offense is good enough to score on Bama or if our defense is good enough to stop Bama. And after the beating they took last year, you can bet that Alabama's fans will have only Tigers on their minds. Their theme all year will be "Yes, we blanked LSU again, but are we good enough to stop TL and JR?"

May 9, 2019, 5:10 PM

Pick one:

Coots: Beat 'em last 5 times

Oklahoma: Beat 'em last 2 times

Ohio State: Beat 'em last 2 times

Ga.: Beat 'em last 2 times

Auburn: Beat 'em last 2 times

Notre Dame: Beat 'em last 2 times

Bama: Beat them last 2 out of 3 times for National Championships.

They ALL consider us a rival. :)

I don't think we beat UGA the last 2 times we played them***

May 10, 2019, 7:48 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Coots by far biggest rival. always has

May 9, 2019, 5:13 PM

been. Always will be.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Vegas bookmakers... Can't get any decent odds.....***

May 9, 2019, 5:43 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 9, 2019, 6:39 PM

I graduated from Clemson in 1979. I am still very much biased toward UGA being our biggest rival even though we don't play them that often any more. To me, a rival is someone that I get excited about playing regardless of record so I personally would consider the next two rivals for Clemson after UGA to be FSU & USC in that order. I don't really consider GaTech, NCSU or anyone else in the old or new ACC as rivals.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sound points

May 9, 2019, 6:45 PM

No argument here. I graduated in 1990, so if you had asked me at graduation, Georgia would have been #2, and maybe Maryland would have been #3. Over 30 years and relatively few meetings, Georgia has lost its sizzle for me...but I would love to have a shot at them in 2019!

May 9, 2019, 8:38 PM

Complacency is Clemsons biggest rival. They battle it almost every game.

May 9, 2019, 11:11 PM

doriend® Good Start to your tnet career! Awesome thought provoking question!

My take:

1. Bama
2. U of SuCk
3. Syracuse

**Georgia didn't make my list b/c we haven't played them frequently enough recently.
**Nan-C-St nearly makes the list in fact call them 3b. Their coach/players/fans are just terrible. Poor sports. The fact they got close a couple years back to back also adds fuel to the fire.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 10, 2019, 1:56 AM

Thanks! Ive seen a lot of Syracuse on this post and I'd have to agree, especially going forward if they continue to be our main competition in division

May 9, 2019, 11:16 PM

USC
FSU
BAMA

May 10, 2019, 5:18 AM

I think culturally and historically, South Carolina is our biggest rival.

At the moment, from a competitive playing point of view, it's Alabama.

After that, it's up for debate, depending on whether you value competition, geographical proximity, how often the game is played, etc etc.

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic