Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson and the panthers
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

Clemson and the panthers

Apr 29, 2019, 11:17 PM

Why has panther ownership had such disdain for Clemson for all these years ? I don’t mean just this or last years draft. They’ve been a franchise since 1995 and not one player. I don’t believe its just coincidence

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do you assume that they have disdain for Clemson?

Apr 29, 2019, 11:50 PM

Do you honestly believe that the Panthers are going out of their way to not draft Clemson players?!?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Why do you assume that they have disdain for Clemson?

Apr 30, 2019, 12:25 AM

History certainly has something to say about that !!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So because they haven't drafted Clemson players

Apr 30, 2019, 10:30 PM

it's reasonable to assume that it's because they have some problem with Clemson players and are purposely avoiding them?

Rather than the fact that they've happened to feel that players from other schools better fit their needs?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Apr 30, 2019, 1:59 AM [ in reply to Why do you assume that they have disdain for Clemson? ]

Is it an assumption after more than 2 decades?

I think it’s well documented

Apr 30, 2019, 5:20 AM [ in reply to Why do you assume that they have disdain for Clemson? ]

that the Panthers are mad at Clemson fans for not showing the basketball program more support.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

blind wont see what's clearly there***

Apr 30, 2019, 9:39 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Apr 30, 2019, 8:16 AM [ in reply to Why do you assume that they have disdain for Clemson? ]

Judge, dude, are you serious? Please update your logic module as it is broken. It is blatantly obvious to the entire planet if that helps. Do a logic module reboot and see if that helps.

I realize it might be hard for you to understand

Apr 30, 2019, 10:31 PM

but the Panthers aren't going out of their way to avoid drafting Clemson players.

I tend to agree with you, Judge, but how would you explain

May 1, 2019, 2:08 AM

them drafting that nondescript Usuc OL, instead of Hyatt. No way should that have happened!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you go through the Panthers draft history

Apr 30, 2019, 3:05 AM

and put it against the Clemson players that were available at the time of their picks, there are very few cases where a need by the Panthers matched up to the Clemson guys that were available. The only instance I saw where something matched up was in 2015 when the Panthers drafted LB Shaq Thompson from Washington in Rd 1 Pick 25 when Stephon Anthony was available. The Saints drafted him 6 picks later.

In 2016, the Panthers drafted 3 cornerbacks at pick 62, 77 and 141. During that draft Mackensie Alexander went at #54.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If you go through the Panthers draft history

Apr 30, 2019, 5:28 PM

owensb01® said:

and put it against the Clemson players that were available at the time of their picks, there are very few cases where a need by the Panthers matched up to the Clemson guys that were available. The only instance I saw where something matched up was in 2015 when the Panthers drafted LB Shaq Thompson from Washington in Rd 1 Pick 25 when Stephon Anthony was available. The Saints drafted him 6 picks later.

In 2016, the Panthers drafted 3 cornerbacks at pick 62, 77 and 141. During that draft Mackensie Alexander went at #54.

I was a Panthers fan before I was a Clemson fan. My parents didn't care about football, so I had to self-start my fandom and Carolina was on every Sunday. I can confirm as a guy who has frequently hoped for Carolina to get a Clemson guy that this is almost always the case. I really think they would've picked Ferrell this year, but Oakland REALLY wanted him, so that couldn't happen. And I believe they would've picked Alexander if he'd made it to their 2nd round pick in 2016. The former GM instead took a massive reach on Vernon Butler in the 1st round.

Some other notable drafts with high Clemson picks:
2010-Panthers didn't have a 1st round pick and CJ Spiller goes #9 to Buffalo. Regardless of draft position, they'd just had 2 RBs go for 1100+ yds the season before.

2013-Panthers picked Star Lotulelei at #14 and Hopkins goes to Houston at #27. Carolina had been getting abused in the middle of the defense for years and were desperate for DT help to put in front of Kuechly. WR wasn't even a consideration.

2014-Watkins goes #4 well before Carolina picks at #28.

2017-Panthers pick McCaffrey at #8, 4 picks before Watson goes to Houston. Newton's last injury free season was his MVP 2015 season. Carolina was not remotely in the market for a QB.

Re: Clemson and the panthers

Apr 30, 2019, 7:04 AM

Could care less about the Panthers.I'm actually a Cowboy Fan(lifelong since day #1) but having been born in Atlanta, have more interest in what the Falcons do than that team North of here.

They obviously aren't in to character

Apr 30, 2019, 8:18 AM

or winning?

I'm so tired of hearing this bullshyatt. It's the NFL

Apr 30, 2019, 9:13 AM

Do you really think that an NFL franchise in Charlotte, NC would skip drafting a player from Clemson if they thought that player would help them win? Do you think when Gettleman was in Carolina he hated Clemson players but magically started to draft them in NY? Or do you think Jerry Richardson hated Clemson players and when he sold the team he included a clause in the agreement that David Tepper is not allowed to draft Clemson players?

Yes, I think it's odd that they've never drafted a Clemson player, but as Dabo keeps sending talent to the NFL it will happen. They would've drafted Cle this year if he had fallen that far, which many people expected. They signed Ben Boulware as an undrafted free agent, he just didn't make the team.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Agreed.

Apr 30, 2019, 2:45 PM

It’s a business. They aren’t avoiding Clemson players. If they thought the available Clemson player was better than the same position player they drafted, they’d have drafted the Clemson player. It’s not some freaking conspiracy.

Your post has way too much logic and sensibility.

Apr 30, 2019, 10:34 PM [ in reply to I'm so tired of hearing this bullshyatt. It's the NFL ]

Please stop. The conspiracy theorists won't know what to do.

I blame Scam Newton, even before he got there.

Apr 30, 2019, 9:58 AM

Makes as much sense as any other reason you can come up with.

Leroy Jethro Gibbs says again, "There are no coincidences. FIND THE ANSWER!"

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 30, 2019, 2:37 PM

They're due to draft TLaw in 2022.

Don't believe me? Well look at his life so far. Born in Tennessee, went to school in Georgia, now at college in South Carolina.

Look at the map, he's clearly working his way anti-clockwise, and being drafted to a team in North Carolina is all that's left.

Apr 30, 2019, 2:48 PM

I am stunned that after years of crappy left tackles the panthers would not even try to get Hyatt in camp! I’m sick of it! After looking at the tackle they chose from ole miss I find it hard to believe they didn’t try to sign him as a free agent! They make one disgusting move after another and bank it all every year on a spoiled premadonna 6-5 250 lb. baby who couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn with a football! Kinda hard to put to much time in to caring about the panthers!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 30, 2019, 3:19 PM

It would've been nice for them to draft Hyatt, but it's not as if they were the only team that wasn't high on him considering he went undrafted. Hopefully he proves them all wrong and has a long and successful career.

As far as Newton, I know I'm in the minority here, but I don't have a problem with the guy. People say he's a premadonna on here, but have no problems with Watson posing after plays(which I have zero issue with). He's not an elite QB IMO when compared to guys like Brady, Brees, Rogers, etc... but he's better than several other starting quarterbacks in the league, and far from the biggest problem with the Panthers.

They have consistently surrounded him with garbage talent on offense outside of Mccaffrey. Olson has been good, but he's starting to get old and injury prone. Who is the receiver he's had over the past few years? Kelvin Benjamin who has caught 41 passes over the past 2 years combined since he left? The closest he's had to an elite receiver during his time in the NFL was an aging Steve Smith.

Cam Newton has never shown the leadership a QB should

May 1, 2019, 2:03 AM

possess, and "posing" has nothing to do with it. He isn't in the ballpark with Watson, when it comes to leadership!

Re: Cam Newton has never shown the leadership a QB should

May 1, 2019, 8:35 AM

His teammates don't share your opinion. But what do they know? They're just on the team practicing and playing games with him. You're a non-NFL fan who formed an opinion on the guy 8 years ago and has likely never met him. You probably know best.

Apr 30, 2019, 2:53 PM

A little late

Apr 30, 2019, 5:04 PM

With a few above mentioned exceptions I never liked them especially the Crybaby QB.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 30, 2019, 5:21 PM

I’m with you. Done with em. I think they should have drafted Hyatt, Bryant, or Renfrow rather than that USuC lineman or other SEC second rate talent. Just can’t figure out if I should hop on the Raiders or Texans wagon now. Adios Scam nooten.

Your paranoia knows no bounds*

Apr 30, 2019, 8:34 PM

Paranoid

Apr 30, 2019, 9:49 PM

A member of the Clemson BOT is Jerry Richardson’s son who I believe played at Clemson . I highly doubt they snub Clemson players. I am a non Panther fan.

Apr 30, 2019, 9:49 PM

A member of the Clemson BOT is Jerry Richardson’s son who I believe played at Clemson . I highly doubt they snub Clemson players. I am a non Panther fan.

I love threads like this for the comedy.

Apr 30, 2019, 10:09 PM

Every NFL team except the Raiders and Texans hate Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, and not only that...

Apr 30, 2019, 10:35 PM

but also, when a Clemson players doesn't live up to expectations in the NFL, it is because he was drafted by a bad team and/or a coach that is clueless as to how to best utilize his talents.

As a Panther Fan I am frustrated and not Frustrated...

May 1, 2019, 4:08 AM

I am frustrated because Clemson is the best College Football Program in the South and how to tap into a fanbase than to DRAFT former Clemson players and to kind of help grow the Carolina Panther fanbase(think of The Green Bay, Pittsburgh, and Dallas fans that travel to see their beloved teams)....
But I'm not Frustrated because, as some have pointed out it's a business... Some of the Clemson players may not have been on CRR's/ Marty hurney's draft board(It's been speculated that CF99 Was high on their draft board until OAK/LV drafted him) we didn't need a DT (Have Poe, Butler, K.K, Kendrick Norton on the Roster) at 13. Don't have a "pressing need" for a Strong side D End, especially going to a 3-4 multiple front. Didn't need a corner (have two good ones already wouldn't make any sense to draft TM1.. but not gonna lie it would have been sweet to have him in a Panther Uniform)... Can't draft HR13(Signed Chris Hogan)..

So I'm not switching my allegiance because of Carolina's inability to draft Clemson Players....

But if it'll make anybody feel better... I'll root for all Clemson Players.... When they not playing the Panthers...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic