Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson-GT flashback
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

Clemson-GT flashback

Jul 18, 2019, 6:32 PM

Since the GT game is on deck, I remember back when John Lovett was our DC. A few days before a game against GT some media asked Lovett how was he going to stop Calvin Johnson. Lovett said he did not know who Calvin Johnson was. This was the year he caught a last second TD pass to beat us. This play followed the botched snap to our punter.

You think Brent doesn’t know every player he goes against?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson-GT flashback

Jul 18, 2019, 7:07 PM

He knows them as well as their DC knows them and maybe better being this is their DC first season to work with them. BV maybe able to tell him what players to use!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 18, 2019, 7:34 PM

Lovett didn't know who Calvin Johnson was??????????? That's really incredible. Were his services retained after that season?

Jul 21, 2019, 5:22 PM

I remember Calvin Johnson but I had to google John Lovett.

Jul 21, 2019, 6:02 PM

If you remember how Johnson was against us, then you know how Bama felt against Ross and Tee. We had nobody that could stop Johnson that day. Bama had nobody to stop our guys either.

Jul 21, 2019, 6:06 PM

I remember that game and their other wide receiver (Watkins, I think) must have caught a dozen passes. He would knock our cornerback about 5 yards back and the ball would be right there on a button hook. Why that was never flagged is still beyond me.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 21, 2019, 6:17 PM

Sorry, was mixed up. It was Kerry Watkins that caught the winning pass against us in Death Valley in 2000. He also was knocking the CB off of him all game long like I said earlier. I think Calvin was still in grade school!

Jul 21, 2019, 6:39 PM

I continue to be confused (duh). It was Campbell from GT, not Watkins, that caught all of the passes and was knocking our CB off the ball. It was Watkins that made the one handed TD catch with time running out that gave GT the win. Brian Mance had a punt return TD for us in that game.

Watch the 1:49:35 mark of the game and you can see why Campbell caught about a dozen passes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfW0db9NW4s

Jul 21, 2019, 7:03 PM

I’m referring to 2002 game at ckemson.
Calvin Johnson Catch after we botched the punt. Bad snap by one of our own TigerNet tees. Goof54. To his credit goof54 came in here a few days later to apologize fir the bad snap.

Jul 21, 2019, 7:05 PM

https://youtu.be/uhzolvNBhCo

Go to 2:54 mark.

Jul 22, 2019, 5:57 PM

Yeah ...... I remember. I was there, but had forgotten that the snap was a dribbler. I had remembered it as over the punter's head.

I think it was another game against GT that we lost when we had a phantom holding call right at the end of the game where we would have either gotten a 1st down or otherwise been in a position to score and win. I think Reggie Ball may have been their QB in that game.

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic