Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Can someone who is well versed in recruiting tell me
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Can someone who is well versed in recruiting tell me

Jun 6, 2019, 12:21 AM

If we ever pursued Pickens or whatever his name is that signed with U of SC. I keep hearing them crow about how we wanted him and they beat us for him. Ok, possible for sure, but I seriously dont ever recall hearing a peep about coaches pushing for him. Did I just miss it, or are they pushing their own narrative?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Can someone who is well versed in recruiting tell me

Jun 6, 2019, 12:33 AM

If we ever pursued Pickens or whatever his name is that signed with U of SC. I keep hearing them crow about how we wanted him and they beat us for him. Ok, possible for sure, but I seriously dont ever recall hearing a peep about coaches pushing for him. Did I just miss it, or are they pushing their own narrative?

They beat us.

There are some caveats to that - namely, that while Pickens is indeed a legit 5-star (I saw him play last year, and he was a dominant RB as well as being completely unblockable as a DL at the high school level), the problem is, he was playing strongside DE...and he's a DT at the college level. He doesn't think so, and Carolina was perfectly content to tell him what he wanted to hear, whereas we said straight-up "you're a tackle". (He ain't, any more than Huggy Bear was.)

The other problem was that we had signed multiple 5-star DE's just the year before, including a guy in Xavier Thomas who was going to hold that strongside end spot until he departs for the NFL. They beat us over the head with that too.

Lastly...how can I put this...he just wasn't really a "Clemson-type" kid. Clemson guys have a type, you get so you see it instantly. It isn't just that they're usually "good" kids, but there's an...emotional earnestness you see out of most of them. They want to belong, they're usually courteous and receptive to courtesy, they tend to care about the guy next to them. I just...never got the sense Pickens was ever all that receptive to Clemson's culture, I'll leave it at that.

FWIW.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ditto For Mr. Pickens

Jun 6, 2019, 8:31 AM

Mother.

so pickens was a coot

Jun 6, 2019, 9:30 AM [ in reply to Re: Can someone who is well versed in recruiting tell me ]

and he'll get a coot life

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 6, 2019, 12:35 AM

Of course we wanted him. His older brother was put on the team down there so Clemson had no chance.

Jun 6, 2019, 12:45 AM

CBV was at his commitment , so we surely wanted him .
They're gonna make some inroads with bigtime players on occasion ... but being that Clemson is a Lambo and UofSuC is a Yugo ... let 'em crow .
Lort knows they eat enough of it come gametime .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Jun 6, 2019, 12:52 AM

Thanks folks. Living here in NC I get most of my recruiting info from TNet, and just dont recall hearing a lot about him during the process, but plenty on others. I think we have done pretty darn well with a lot less, so no worries.

Alot less? What you talking about?

Jun 6, 2019, 7:54 AM

We have brought in 15 5-stars in the last 4 classes, with another bumper crop building in 2020. USuCk has brought in 1. They have one 5 star in 4 years compared to our 15 and you're saying we do more with less? We've outrecruited them by a huge amount. Coaching and culture wins championships but they only get you so far without the "Jimmies and the Joes" as Dabo puts it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Dude abides

Re: Alot less? What you talking about?

Jun 6, 2019, 8:19 AM

I think his point was that we've done more with less than 5 stars (which we have), not that we've been doing less than the Coots.

Re: Alot less? What you talking about?

Jun 6, 2019, 8:46 AM [ in reply to Alot less? What you talking about? ]

Meaning in the past. Going back to what I believe CDS referred to as his Dandy Dozen. Those guys like Tajh helped to start it all imo. Back then we were not pulling In 3, 4 or more 5*. In fact Bowers was a HUGE deal as I recall. But our coaches saw talent no matter the star rating and developed players. And our boys improved every year to get to the top of the mountain.

a Yugo stuck in 2nd gear... LOL***

Jun 6, 2019, 1:26 AM [ in reply to Re: Can someone who is well versed in recruiting tell me ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 6, 2019, 5:41 AM [ in reply to Re: Can someone who is well versed in recruiting tell me ]

Speaking of Yugos, please tell me someone has seen Drowning Mona

yes, Pickens was a take even at #DLU. He's a great athelete***

Jun 6, 2019, 1:25 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 6, 2019, 8:32 AM

You probably didn't hear much because he committed early, May of last year. Clemson honors the commitments to other schools, and so he wasn't pursued during the more hyped part of the recruiting process.

Jun 6, 2019, 8:35 AM

Bareftn said:

You probably didn't hear much because he committed early, May of last year. Clemson honors the commitments to other schools, and so he wasn't pursued during the more hyped part of the recruiting process.

Commitment status has nothing to do with Clemson’s involvement with a recruit. If the recruit is someone we want AND is receptive we pursue. If either is a no then we do not pursue

Yes...Pickens was a legitimate Clemson target...

Jun 6, 2019, 8:34 AM

but like so many other things associated with the u of 5c, to say they "beat us" for him is a gross mischaracterization of the facts.

First and foremost, in 2018 they allowed his brother, Kevin, to join the team as a preferred walk-on. He was originally enrolled in 2015 at Mars Hill University but never appeared in any games. He was not enrolled in any school from 2016 to 2017.

This, along with other, shall we say, "considerations", was an arrangement the coaching staff had with the mother, Felicia Harris, a lifelong u of 5c fan, to further insure that Zacch would eventually sign with u of 5c.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic