Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Can a one loss acc team make it to the cfp?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

Can a one loss acc team make it to the cfp?

Aug 16, 2018, 10:44 AM

Thanks looking for good discussion here, not just guessing. TIA!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

well

Aug 16, 2018, 10:46 AM

considering we did it last yr, I'm guessing yes.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: well

Aug 16, 2018, 10:47 AM

And the year before!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Are you for sure? I don’t buy it.***

Aug 16, 2018, 10:59 AM [ in reply to well ]

Re: Are you for sure? I don’t buy it.***

Aug 16, 2018, 11:03 AM

Lost to cuse,

https://www.tigernet.com/2017-Clemson-Football-Schedule

Lost to Pitt

https://www.tigernet.com/2016-Clemson-Football-Schedule

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's one of the reasons I lean towards no.

Aug 16, 2018, 11:26 AM [ in reply to well ]

OhSt got the benefit of the doubt once, 31-0 year, but not last year when they prob should have gone over Bama. We got in last year, but won't get the same benefit again.

Now that said, it all depends. If we lost to FSU and don't play for the ACCCG, we are out. If we destroy everyone but give up a stupid game along the way (while winning ACC), there is a chance, but it'll depend on the rest of the field.

I don't think its impossible, and while I think our sched this year may be the most difficult we've seen in some years (ACC Atl is tough), it depends on how the media spins it... and I don't think the ACCa will be talked up as the tough division it is due to each team beating up the others. And yes, I think the media talk has influence over the committee, so it matters.

Just my thoughts, but if we want to be in the Orange Bowl, we best take care of FSU, BC, Tex AM, NCSt, Scar, and ACCCG opponent. Those are must wins for SOS. And prob Duke because of the timing at the end of the year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

O31O State had 2 losses last year before bowl season.***

Aug 16, 2018, 11:29 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: well

Aug 16, 2018, 11:29 AM [ in reply to well ]

AND THE YEAR BEFORE

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd say extremely doubtful.

I think only a 1 loss SEC team would have a chance at making the playoff.

Any other conference would need to have undefeated teams to have a prayer.

How did we do it 2 years in a row, then?***

Aug 16, 2018, 11:04 AM

We've earned the benefit of the doubt from past success

Aug 16, 2018, 11:30 AM [ in reply to I'd say extremely doubtful. ]

If we drop a game but still win the ACC it would be almost impossible to keep us out. As others have mentioned, we have gotten in the last 2 years with a loss

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

It's already happened

Aug 16, 2018, 12:52 PM [ in reply to I'd say extremely doubtful. ]

So the chances of you knowing what you're talking about are "extremely doubtful". :)

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Never happen................

Wait! We have done it twice! So I will go with YES.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

no.

Aug 16, 2018, 10:48 AM

it was possible in years past but not bow. the Homers waited a few years but they finally tEstee the waters and
ruined the cfp. they were successful in getting 2 sec teams in. .now they will go for 3 and eventually 4 as long as ND keeps suckng.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: Can a one loss acc team make it to the cfp?

Aug 16, 2018, 11:06 AM

Not 3 years in a row. That’s acc bias.

A quality loss can boost a team's resume regardless

Aug 16, 2018, 11:51 AM

of conference. Last year Alabama made it in because they lost to Auburn who beat the pulp out of Georgia. Once Georgia won the SECCG and made the playoffs, there was no way the committee could keep Bama out because they lost less worser than Georgia lost to Auburn.

Two years ago we lost to Pitt. That was a quality loss because it showed how deep the ACC is, and without that loss we may not have made the playoffs at all because the committee might have thought the ACC was soft.

So yes, a quality loss will propel an ACC team into the playoffs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: A quality loss can boost a team's resume regardless

Aug 16, 2018, 11:57 AM

Quality post was quality. Much less worser than most posts on here.

Re: Quality post was quality. Much less worser than most

Aug 17, 2018, 8:15 AM

?!?!?!?

I think I'm going to need a third cup of coffee here.

Couldn't agree more.***

Aug 16, 2018, 2:14 PM [ in reply to A quality loss can boost a team's resume regardless ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

this thread is giving me the confuse***

Aug 16, 2018, 8:12 PM [ in reply to A quality loss can boost a team's resume regardless ]

Aug 16, 2018, 12:16 PM

Depends on the circumstances if you want the real honest answer.

1. Last year, we had the benefit of the doubt due to KB's injury and a strong SOS after losing to an unranked Syracuse. Those factors change, it could have changed how the committee viewed the loss. That's what they reiterated when they announced why they chose Clemson in...the circumstances of loss of the QB, and having one of the stronger SOS's of the final 5 teams in selection.
2. Lose to an undefeated Atlantic opponent (like us vs FSU in the past) and that opponent goes on to not lose two, answer is likely no, since the team then wouldn't have gone to the ACC-CG. At that point, only shot is if the field of choices for #4 are equal, then it goes to Strength of Schedule and Strength of record to who gets the nod.

Aug 16, 2018, 12:18 PM

It's obviously possible but I think that loss has to be in conference and it cant be in the ACCT game.

Aug 16, 2018, 12:41 PM

Yes, it's very possible. Has happened before. But circumstances will dictate... what does the rest of the field look like? How many undefeated teams are there? SOS? A better question may be: does an undefeated Group of 5 team have any hope of getting in a 4 team playoff? In most years a 1-loss P5 team in any conference has better odds than an undefeated G5.

Mere flim-flam stories and nothing but shams and lies

Since this has already happened...twice...

Aug 16, 2018, 12:44 PM

are you meaning to ask if a 1 loss with no conference championship? I'd say this is possible in an event where the loss is in the division and that loss is to the conference champ.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 16, 2018, 12:48 PM

Any one loss team from any P5 conference is probably making it. Even ND with one loss likely gets in.

Yep

Aug 16, 2018, 12:49 PM

of course.

It depends on who the 1-loss team is, who they lost to, by how much, when, etc...

For ex. Clemson could lose a close game to FSU, but win the ACC Championship and still make the CFP.

If a one-loss non SEC Championship 'Bama team could make it last year then rest assured an ACC Champ with 1-loss isn't getting left out of the CFP.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 16, 2018, 1:13 PM

Unless the requirement has changed since the last two years!! . . then of course.

Aug 16, 2018, 1:19 PM

Do you football?

Do you tigernet?***

Aug 16, 2018, 2:07 PM

Aug 16, 2018, 2:16 PM

Yes. Every team that made the CFP last season had one loss. Not only that, every single national champion since the CFP era has been a one loss team.
So, unless the other 4 conferences have a conference champion that is undefeated and the one loss ACC team was blown out in their loss, YES, a one-loss ACC team can make it.

Aug 16, 2018, 6:12 PM

If Clemson loses 1 game and still play and win the ACC Championship game they will be in. The other Big 4 conferences would all have to go undefeated and that is not going to happen.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No - The Tigers can't make it this year with one loss,

Aug 16, 2018, 3:12 PM

assuming that the preseason rankings hold true. Our SOS is going to SUC.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Uhh...

Aug 16, 2018, 3:20 PM

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic