Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
CFB Attendance Problems
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

CFB Attendance Problems

Aug 30, 2018, 4:10 PM

USuC is mentioned in the article, but not CU. Interesting article and shows the value of running a good program..... filling seats:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/college-footballs-growing-problem-empty-seats-1535634001

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: CFB Attendance Problems

Aug 30, 2018, 4:18 PM

With the rising costs associated with going to a game, this is only going to happen more. Sure the top end schools like Alabama and Clemson don't have a problem but have a few bad years in a row and those numbers start to lower for even the best schools. Add to that just about every game is now on TV for the power five schools, hell even USuCk is on tv every week. Would you put up with that dump of a stadium and crime and trash or just sit back at home and tailgate at home? Thank god Clemson really strives for a family atmosphere. Sure it isn't perfect but go to some of these lower level schools and you will be shocked at what they have and what they put up with to attend a game.

Aug 30, 2018, 4:52 PM

They're going to have to put "value" back in it.

Arthur Blank was clearly aware of this. He dropped concession prices to extremely reasonable levels, especially for his Atlanta United games, and hasn't price-gouged on tickets. He's putting as many as 72K in the stands - for regular-season MLS soccer games.

If it can be done with soccer, college football has no excuses.

It's tempting to keep raising prices as long as it appears people are willing to pay it, but the problem with that approach is that people start feeling like they're being bilked...and even if they do pay the new higher price (grudgingly), they resent it.

Figuring out how to make events as fan-friendly as possible - as opposed to maxing out profits - is going to be the key. Especially in Modern America, people have choices. A lot of choices.

at some point, the ROI just isn't there

Aug 30, 2018, 4:56 PM

For us, going to a Clemson game is a family thing, an alumni thing, and a walk down memory lane all rolled into one. It is worth it to me for one game a year or so. But since I live in Virginia, that one game = $1500-2000 or so, all in. No way I can do that more than once a year.

If I lived closer, I would consider season tickets, but even then, I'd have to look at the total costs vs. ROI and am not sure I would do it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: at some point, the ROI just isn't there

Aug 30, 2018, 5:02 PM

ROI on season tickets? How much do you value fuuuunnnnnn......

sorry there I dosed off there

Aug 30, 2018, 5:10 PM

We are not immune...It used to be an easy, fun outing...Figure in the full house crowd, the super jacked up cost of game tickets, concession, crowding, add on being wanded like someone from Carolina Criminal Institute...My TV looks better and better..

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am glad soembody said it. The metal detectors..

Sep 3, 2018, 4:23 PM

are ridiculous and completely unnecessary. Pi$$ed me off for sure. This is Death Valley, not the Richland County Detention Center. Are TSA level pat-downs next?

Keep tailgating and gameday a family and fun environment please. #CUAthleticDepartment

Go Tigers!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How do you keep Gamecocks out of your yard?
• Put up goal posts
What does a Gamecock grad call a Clemson Tiger grad in 2 years?
• Boss

Aug 30, 2018, 5:55 PM

I see several reasons for attendance problems.

1. Cost I guess it just depends on how much you want to spend. You can sit in the lower level for the Acc Championship game cheaper than you can attend almost all of our home games.

2. Tv controls starting times and travel is not easy for everyone. We should know more than 5 days in advance on what time the game will start. I know Furman and GS we knew during the summer but it is because they are not big games.

3. All teams seem to have at least two pansy games a season and some would rather stay and watch on tv than to see a blowout.

I will be there Saturday rain or shine and it will cost around 3 to 4 hundred for my family to attend,

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don’t think young people and children have the same

Aug 30, 2018, 7:23 PM

Level of interest anymore. Too many other things (video games) to distract them. All sports are going to experience a decline in my opinion.

Aug 30, 2018, 7:28 PM

Truth is I can save $500 not including food gas and things as such to watch the game on a HD TV which is practically like being on the field. People can't afford to go to these games religiously like they used to and that's just reality.

Every game is on TV ...

Aug 30, 2018, 8:19 PM

While there is no substitute for the excitement of actually being there in the stadium, in all honesty you see a lot more of the game watching at home on your 60 inch HD TV.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Every game is on TV ...

Aug 30, 2018, 8:38 PM

Absolutely, big HD TVs with friends, food, booze and no driving is hard to beat. TV ratings will pay the bills too.

Re: Every game is on TV ...

Sep 3, 2018, 4:32 PM [ in reply to Every game is on TV ... ]

fact is the price to watch football is getting to the tipping point for people that work for a living and have families. it is just a very expensive hobby. i go because i love them tigers but if the price keeps going up i will have some decisions to make.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wonder if Friday and Thursday games lower the average***

Sep 3, 2018, 1:03 PM

Re: Wonder if Friday and Thursday games lower the average***

Sep 3, 2018, 2:30 PM

Having to drive 1700 miles roundtrip, makes it pretty hard to do more than 1, at most 2 games a year. Luckily I have a place to stay when I come down, so I don't have that ridiculous hotel bill which makes it easier. Even at that, the cost is still high with gas, food and any other spending you may do.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 3, 2018, 3:31 PM

The last three seasons even the average attendance at Clemson home games has decreased, this came from presentation the athletic department put on.

Sep 3, 2018, 3:57 PM

:) For me, I thought once I retired and moved back to the area that I was going to attend a lot of games. Then the harsh reality of getting old and bad health makes it almost impossible to walk to the stadium and climb those steps. I would not make it to the top row. So I just sit at home in my Lazyboy recliner, drink and eat whatever I want (not just what they serve), and watch on a 4K TV with 5.1 surround sound and enjoy the heck out of games. Plus I get to watch 2-3 games simultaneously on multiple TV's. And I don't fight the traffic and crowds. Yes - I love being on the CLEMSON campus and seeing all the changes, but it was not meant to be for me. I sure appreciate all who can attend and cheer our TIGERS on, and envy everyone having all the fun that comes with that atmosphere.

Sep 3, 2018, 6:12 PM

There should be no more than 1 furman/ga southern type game for any acc/sec/etc...team. One is fun in the beginning and after that I have other things to do and then can watch it on TV.

Sep 3, 2018, 6:37 PM

Price of attendance is out of control. People having to walk from Pendleton (especially the older folk) has driven people away. Old time Iptay members who were in the stands when we weren't very good losing their seats
due to rising ticket equity.

Sep 3, 2018, 6:55 PM

The cost of tickets is one thing, then there are the seat equity purchases making the cost even higher. Makes it easier to sit at home and maybe try to go to a game or two.

And I hate noon games with the same hate as I have for the coots.

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic