Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Automotive Experts
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

Automotive Experts

Apr 29, 2019, 1:29 PM

My 2013 Ford sedan (yes, I know, I should have bought a Toyota...next time) is beginning to shift a little harder all of the sudden in the first 2 gears.

I recently had an Automatic Transmission Fluid flush and replacement at 78k miles.

The issue isn't really bad, but it is more noticeable than before.

I plan on taking it back to the dealer this week to have them consult on it, but you know how they are..."Everything is perfectly fine to me" routine.

Any suggestions?

One suggestion already included adding a half bottle of Lucas brand ATF conditioner.

TIA!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Automotive Experts

Apr 29, 2019, 1:33 PM

The flush probably messed with the seals. Don't flush, just drain and replace. Adding a conditioner would be the first place to start. Good luck.

Apr 29, 2019, 7:52 PM

Yes, flushing can do harm

Apr 29, 2019, 1:52 PM

Check the engine/transmission mounts.

I had a 13 Ford Explorer that I *thought* was looking a new transmission with horrific shifts. Turn out to be engine mount issues as the shift cause a fair amount of vibration from the engine speeds decreasing. I guess slop from bad mounts could cause similar issues. I also had a different vehicle with a drive-shaft issue that cause some shifts that felt like hitting a mature oak tree.

Avoid the transmission "honey", etc. Next, change the fluids again. They could have use the wrong fluids, so fresh/correct fluids might help.

FYI - Clemson Ph. D. is automotive related but I am not a "professional" wrencher - shadetree at best. Did some work in Gov. fleet maintenance side once upon a time, so I kinda know mid-2000s domestics. I was even a sub-subcontractor for Ford "back in the day"... 2010 - lol.

First On Race Day. ***

Apr 29, 2019, 1:55 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: First On Race Day. ***

Apr 29, 2019, 8:48 PM

I guess someone forgot to tell the Chevys yesterday!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: First On Race Day. ***

Apr 29, 2019, 9:07 PM [ in reply to First On Race Day. *** ]

Freakin Old Rebuilt Dodge

eFed Over Rebuilt Dodge

Apr 30, 2019, 5:27 AM

Found On the Road Dead
Fix Or Repair Daily

My Ford truck has 170,000 miles and is running strong. My Chevy has about 80,000 and is not running.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 29, 2019, 1:55 PM

Might want to have them look and make sure whomever did the flush put back the correct level of transmission fluid in it. Hard shifts can come from still having too low of a fluid level in the transmission (if they didn't put the right amount in for your exact transmission). If it's not the level, a conditioner would be the next best and cheapest place to start, in case any transmission sludge got loose and revealed any worn gaskets or leaks that need reconditioning (as long as they aren't completely cracked gaskets (which Lucas Oil is a good one).

Apr 29, 2019, 7:40 PM

You may also want to check the air in the tires and top off the gas and see if that helps.

No seriously, you don't want to overfill the transmission fluid either. Read your owners manual and follow the prescribed steps to check the fluid level. If you need to add, add small amounts at a time, like 0.1 qt increments. If you need to remove fluid, buy a small hand-held siphon pump and stick the tube into the dip stick port.

Apr 29, 2019, 7:52 PM

Or you do what I said and have the dealership re-check for the proper level for the model of the transmission on their own car instead of adding anything on your own when you don't know what you are doing (unless they care to look up how to check the transmission fluid level in their specific transmission).

Probably better to have them re-check it than to try to do it on your own....only way to really do on your own correctly is completely drain and refill fresh again based on the car's transmission specifications. And if it wasn't done by the dealer, might want to make sure Mercron/or FOrd Dexron/Mercron was used instead of just a random ATF. Ford has specific type of ATF fluids they use.

Apr 29, 2019, 2:11 PM

Probably losing vacuum some where, usually in the cluster box where they route most vacuum lines in the later models, and it probably has a shifting valve that's on the side of transmission that maybe getting bad, or the filter getting stopped up. If it's doing that, usually it will have a check engine light coming on, but if it don't, take it to a transmission person and let then check it out bc it could get very costly to do nothing at all. I haven't worked in the automotive technician field in a very long time and things change every year, but the basics stay the same, and shifting problems most of the time is bc of losing vacuum pressure that makes those solenoids work with preset amounts of vacuum pressure....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 29, 2019, 2:25 PM

I have no idea what its is, sounds like this is a job for the Tappet brothers.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Probably not the Transmission

Apr 29, 2019, 2:35 PM

Sound like a coil pack gone bad and the motor a little under powered for the shift. Common after about 100k miles

Will cost about $100 to have replaced

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Probably not the Transmission

Apr 29, 2019, 2:47 PM

Having read all the automotive tips, I am a bit jealous. The only thing I know how to do under the hood is change the oil and jump a battery. Don't know how you all gained your knowledge but I must have been absent that day. I know nothing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Probably not the Transmission

Apr 29, 2019, 3:26 PM

Me, only because I had to take out and replace a transmission in my older 92' Mustang 3 times near the end of it's life, then have a few gears rebuilt when I got my last 2000's model Mustang before I had to move to a family car. Not something I care to ever do again, but learned a decent amount while doing it.

But typically, we change our own oil, do our own tune ups, change our own brake pads....all the basic maintenance stuff.

A bad plug/coil pack can feel like transmission***

Apr 29, 2019, 2:53 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

got a lincoln ls that shifts rough

Apr 29, 2019, 3:12 PM

internet mechanics say its a shift module of some sort
i know pulling the battery cable resets the transmission
it will drive smooth again for a while as it so called learns
rinse lather repeat as needed with this car

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 29, 2019, 3:17 PM

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=2013+ford+shifts+hard

Avoid the Dealership...

Apr 29, 2019, 7:50 PM

if at all possible(ALL Dealerships are well-schooled in Grifting the customer seeking automotive repair-it is common place)

Apr 29, 2019, 8:34 PM

Also check your warranty. I think Ford has a 6 year drivetrain warranty. In case it is failing it may still be in warranty.

Apr 29, 2019, 8:54 PM

Another thing to check is throttle sensor. They can wear out and it sends a signal the throttle is not where it actually is and can signal transmission to change gears at the wrong time. Just one more thing to eliminate

Apr 29, 2019, 9:54 PM

A soft shift is a slipping shift. Sure most of the people who know nothing about cars and transmissions think you shouldn't feel anything. But a crisp quick shift means less slipping of the clutches, which allows them to last longer. hard shifts are good shifts. Now . are you explaining the problem correctly??

Delay and lurch forward

Apr 29, 2019, 10:04 PM

Whereas later on after it gets warm and driven through the day it gets smoother.

Re: Delay and lurch forward

Apr 30, 2019, 1:20 AM

Just driven it some more.

trade it now***

Apr 30, 2019, 1:22 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very fatalistic... but funny.***

Apr 30, 2019, 7:11 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

***UPDATE***

May 1, 2019, 9:59 AM

Turns out, the Transmission Fluid was severely OVERFILLED, causing all sorts of pressure and gas bubble issues.

Runs and shifts very smooth again!

Trade that crap in for

May 1, 2019, 10:24 AM

The oscar meyer Weener mobile.

Never hear of that thing having issues.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic