Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
At what point can I quit dealing with the previous owner of
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 412

At what point can I quit dealing with the previous owner of

Feb 20, 2014, 6:25 PM

my houses mail? It's been over 10 months at this point and I'm still getting all kinds of junk for them...Like serious stuff...What appears to be county tax stuff, personal cards from friends, what appears to be bill collectors, and now after doing a little research about the sender is their tax return stuff. I've been nice and have either wrote return to sender, and even personally contacted them to forward them their mail up until now, but it's getting old. I mean, if they don't care enough to change their address for important documents, why should I care? Will I go to jail if I start throwing this #### away, because I'm sick of it.

serious replies only, kthnx

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: At what point can I quit dealing with the previous owner of

Feb 20, 2014, 6:30 PM

No lie. The previous owner of my house was a pharmaceutical rep. We used to get all kinds of sample drugs. It was unreal the kind of stuff that would show up at the door. Luckily the wife and I are not druggies, so we would take them to the UPS hub.

Old owner sent us a check for $100 one time and a letter saying "Thanks".

Just do the right thing, let the mailman know. OR, just put you and your spouse name inside the mailbox and they wont drop anything other than that name. That seems to help.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well the sender is a tax service, and it's a pretty good

Feb 20, 2014, 6:43 PM

bit of stuff in the envelope. Having just done my taxes, I'm pretty sure it's all of his information, etc. Frankly, if he can't change his address for tax returns, I don't feel like he deserves any tax returns.

I'd make an angry phone call to him, but I've lost his number at this point. This fools nonsense is inconveniencing my life, and lakebum don't play that.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm sorry, this line was completely ridiculous

Feb 20, 2014, 6:43 PM [ in reply to Re: At what point can I quit dealing with the previous owner of ]

"OR, just put you and your spouse name inside the mailbox and they wont drop anything other than that name. That seems to help. "

No, no it doesn't help at all. I live in an apartment and my name is in the mailbox as the only occupant and I get mail from 3-4 previous owners almost daily. Apparently a lot of deadbeats have occupied this apartment as I receive constant collection notices, past due credit card bills, medical bills, even IRS notices.

For like 6-7 months I was writing "return to sender" or turning the letters into the office so they could send to the forwarding address. I finally gave up and just throw them in the trash.

The magazine catalogues are becoming the bane of my existance, I can't seem to get the companies to stop sending them.

thats because Ga postpersons dont have any manners...

Feb 20, 2014, 6:51 PM

I've been asked if I should receive mail with any other name than mine at 2 different locations around here, and after replying "no" to my mail carrier, I've never got any one else's mail.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, in the postman's defense

Feb 20, 2014, 6:57 PM

There are a few hundred people whose mail he has to drop here in one stop...probably just wants to dump it all and get the hell out of there

Throw it away.***

Feb 20, 2014, 6:39 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Kill previous owner***

Feb 20, 2014, 6:40 PM

I tried with mine for a few weeks

Feb 20, 2014, 6:40 PM

The house I bought 5 years ago was being rented at the time. The renters were pretty sorry folks, as the mail was full of past due bills, collection services, DSS, DMV, and that kind of stuff. There were kids involved, so I kinda felt for them at first. I tracked the girl down (she worked at Staples) and physically delivered a batch. She didn't seem really appreciative, so that was it for me. I put notes in the mailbox for the mailman to PLEASE don't leave their stuff in my mail. That didn't even work. I'm nobody's dadgum secretary/sentry, so everything after that got dumped.

I STILL get mail addressed to them from time to time. Goes right in the trash. If they didn't care enough about themselves to change their address, I certainly didn't.

The only way you could potentially get in trouble is if you OPEN the mail.

Good luck to you.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, I get all kinds of stuff from DSS, and similar

Feb 20, 2014, 6:47 PM

agencies. I know these people had money problems, because that's why they had to sell the house. Although, their situation was pretty stupid and avoidable, from my perspective anyway. I dunno, I mean if they don't care, I don't see why I should. I'll probably make an effort this one last time, the rest is getting tossed.

People are idiots.

go to the post office that delivers your mail and talk to

Feb 20, 2014, 6:53 PM

them. Don't mess with your mail carrier.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Are you sure that's a good idea?

Feb 20, 2014, 6:58 PM

I'm never home when the mail comes, anyway...

Feb 20, 2014, 7:05 PM [ in reply to go to the post office that delivers your mail and talk to ]

And I honestly don't know where my office is that delivers my mail. I don't feel like this should be my problem.

I have grown to hate this previous owner.

well then just throw it away. It's not addressed to you.***

Feb 20, 2014, 7:13 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: At what point can I quit dealing with the previous owner of

Feb 20, 2014, 7:42 PM

We're dealing with a similar situation and instead of writing "Return to Sender", we write "Please Forward" on the envelope and stick it back in the mail. Mail carrier always takes it and I don't know if they return to sender or use the forwarding information on file, but I consider it my good deed for the day.

I don't know law

Feb 20, 2014, 7:46 PM

but I rent apartments and after about 6 weeks I just trash it. I does become a burden when collectors stick notes on the door of the apartments but I open those and call them to let them know that the tenant is no longer living there. The US mail stuff I just toss. I imagine I could get in trouble for opening their mail but I can always deny tossing it (unless one of you cocksuckers tell somebody). :)

Never - 11 years later I still get some random mail/

Feb 20, 2014, 8:27 PM

Christmas cards addressed to previous owner. Just toss it.

Use the info to steal their identity

Feb 20, 2014, 8:49 PM

Commit heinous crimes

Move to New Zealand

and by a sheep farm with the proceeds

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

You forgot to include

Feb 20, 2014, 8:51 PM

##### sheep for the rest of your life

I have forwarded mail before and the P.O did a lousy job and

Feb 20, 2014, 10:52 PM

lots of stuff did not get forwarded. It's pretty easy to change your address with the places you deal with monthly but beyond that it is tough to let everybody know you have moved.
I think you should do Return To Sender for a year.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

#ACCFTS

Replies: 19
| visibility 412
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic