Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Bowman the best RB commit all timer to clemson ?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 1

Bowman the best RB commit all timer to clemson ?

May 4, 2019, 10:27 AM

https://247sports.com/college/clemson/Sport/Football/AllTimeRecruits/

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Bowman the best RB commit all timer to clemson ?

May 4, 2019, 10:32 AM

Wow. Jumping the gun

Bowman = highest rated RB out of HS that we've signed, but

May 4, 2019, 11:32 AM

I believe ETN is the best RB to ever play at Clemson as of right now.

This is not blasphemy against Spiller, but just acknowledgeing that Spiller, while electric in space, was not that great between the tackles.

If I want a KO return for the winning points, I'd go with CJ, but if I want a tough tackle-breaking two yard run for a crucial 1st down or a TD, I'm going with ETN.

And honestly ... out in space ... ETN rivals CJ too.

Maybe Bowman will turn out to be a freakish combination of all the great things both ETN and CJ bring to the table.

Who knows at this point?

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

IMO we will never have a better back than Spiller

May 4, 2019, 10:35 AM

Maybe, and this is a big maybe, we will get someone who is equally good. But I just can’t picture what a better college back than CJ would look like. His acceleration, top speed, lateral quickness and agility were absolutely off the charts.

Re: IMO we will never have a better back than Spiller

May 4, 2019, 10:47 AM

Imagine CJ on that team last year..

May 4, 2019, 11:07 AM [ in reply to IMO we will never have a better back than Spiller ]

Well ETN keeps breaking his records with less carries so??

May 4, 2019, 11:18 AM

ETN also has a much better team around him.

May 4, 2019, 11:24 AM

Exactly. ETN is great, but the comparison of the teams surrounding each isn't close. CJ was the offense, ALL of it, with crappy qb play and below avg OL play

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ETN is a great back but he is surrounded by a level of talent that CJ could only dream of

May 4, 2019, 11:27 AM [ in reply to Re: IMO we will never have a better back than Spiller ]

ETN can definitely break some tackles and take it to the house but how often do you see him juking defenders out of their shoes like CJ did nearly every game. CJ’s ability to turn a short gain into a long touchdown was absolutely unparalleled to anything I’ve ever seen.

I could be wrong, but I don’t think ETN would ever rush 9

May 4, 2019, 3:28 PM [ in reply to Re: IMO we will never have a better back than Spiller ]

times for -1 yards against the Furman Paladins—be it with a good or bad offensive line. But, that’s exactly what Spiller did in his Soph. year. I will never forget that game. As good as Spiller was in the open field, he was average between the tackles. Give me ETN all day long.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No good deed goes unpunished.....

Spiller did have a lot less help around him, but he also

May 4, 2019, 3:41 PM [ in reply to IMO we will never have a better back than Spiller ]

danced a lot and didn't have great vision. He wasn't really a natural RB, he was an elite playmaker that happened to play RB. He was much more lethal catching the ball out of the backfield than ETN though and also a much better returner.

I think ETN is quite a bit better purely as a RB, but Spiller was probably the better overall offensive weapon.

I do know that when the Gator crowd thought he was a lock

May 4, 2019, 10:36 AM

that they were doing a comparison to Emmitt Smith, with many saying he was probably better at that point.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Everyone of those 5 stars hit too.

Highest ranked by 247, at least.

Best? Remains to be seen, but HS film looks great!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

And, if we're talking about rankings, don't forget Feaster.

May 4, 2019, 11:50 AM

247 ranked him as the #1 all purpose back out of high school.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: And, if we're talking about rankings, don't forget Feaster.

May 4, 2019, 2:56 PM

That was before he was injured though. He dealt with injuries and still performed at a very high level for us. I’m a Feaster fan.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GOAT without playing a down here yet?

May 4, 2019, 10:37 AM

Terry Allen and Terence Flagler say hello.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: GOAT without playing a down here yet?

May 4, 2019, 10:41 AM

15 gms, 205 carries, 2422 yds rush, 36 TDs

12 games, 211 carries, 2459 rush, 35 TDs

Pretty similar to me. Top is Bowmans junior stats, bottom is Etienne's senior stats.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 4, 2019, 10:44 AM

How did their competition compare? I am not familar with where each played.

May 4, 2019, 10:44 AM [ in reply to Re: GOAT without playing a down here yet? ]

Bowman played against a much level higher group of opponents.

One thing is clear looking at that all time list- speed and quickness float guys up in performance, more often than not. Bowman, like ET has both.

May 4, 2019, 10:42 AM [ in reply to GOAT without playing a down here yet? ]

Kenny Flowers before the knee injury. Speed, power, size. He beat out Flagler.

May 4, 2019, 10:43 AM

Guys he's asking if Bowman is the highest rated RB commit we've ever had, not if he'll be the best RB to ever come through Clemson.

May 4, 2019, 12:10 PM

Point to you. People answering question not asked. Wait, you didn't answer either.

May 4, 2019, 12:13 PM

Guess need answer answer myself. Think CJ is.

May 4, 2019, 10:51 AM

Mike Bellamy

The Gators had him scouted pretty well.

May 4, 2019, 11:00 AM

Here's a thread:

https://www.gatorcountry.com/swampgas/threads/espn-the-magazine-the-future-issue-demarkcus-bowman.425110/

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: The Gators had him scouted pretty well.

May 4, 2019, 11:36 AM

https://www.gatorcountry.com/swampgas/threads/demarkcus-bowman-committs-to-clemson.437370/

Another great thread on this.

Does anybody remember Cliff Austin?

May 4, 2019, 11:06 AM

I don't know just how highly rated he was, but I think he was going to be an all-time great until he (or Jeff Davis?) tore up his knee in a spring game. He came back and had a couple of good years and played in the NFL, but probably would have accomplished much more without the injury.

i have to go with CJ Spiller.***

May 4, 2019, 11:10 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 4, 2019, 11:11 AM

He is - at least according to 247 Composite - if he sticks where he is now... Higher than CJ - now that is impressive !!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

May 4, 2019, 11:15 AM

I always felt like Bowden shoulda turned Roscoe Crosby into his RB . The kid was built that way , could run with power and had that great agility and balance that the great ones possess .
Anyway , Bowman is certainly our highest rated RB recruit according to the X-spurts ... but CJ was as good as they come . We know what Travis is capable of ... can't wait to see Bowman and Lyn-J terrorize defensive coordinators .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

May 4, 2019, 11:18 AM

To leave CJ Spiller out of that sentence is just wrong, and if Bowman does as well as CJ did at Clemson, he will be special but, those are very big shoe's to fill of what CJ done and meant to Clemson FB, IMO!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You guys with lack of reading comprehension, get a clue.

May 4, 2019, 12:21 PM

Being thehighest rated RB COMMIT does not equate to the best RB to finish their careers at Clemson.

It does however take your little opinions out of the equation. According to 247's ratings of all time committs for Clemson,Bowman is the highest rated coming in.

Fair enough...

May 4, 2019, 1:54 PM

Just wondering - what were Kenny Flowers, Terry Allen and Terence Flaglers’ star ratings on Rivals and ESPN? Can you look that up real quick and get back? TIA

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 4, 2019, 2:13 PM

That just might be a silly question. He hasn't taken a college snap, and as good as he may become, he should not be mentioned in the same breath with the likes of Spiller, Etienne and Gallman, among several others. He may get there, but this is like predicting the Heisman front runner for 2022.

May 4, 2019, 2:38 PM

We have been fortunate to have some great RBs. I think discussing who's the best is fun, yet futile. As others have pointed out, from year to year the team surrounding them is so different. Not to mention differences in coaches, even how the game is played.

I personally find it impossible to pick just one as 'The Best Ever.'

Rivals had CJ ranked higher overall in his class than Demarkcus is in his class,

May 4, 2019, 2:43 PM

and I rank them similar. We shall see how it goes but right now, the greatest RB for Clemson for me is the guy that came to Clemson when we were spinning our wheels (before we were cycling out!) with a high-quality RB ahead of him and committed out of Florida, carried the offense on his back and even stayed for his senior year. Just my opinion but he is the Clemson RB GOAT.

ETN’s skill set is different and special as well. A three star...that is comical. Best back in college football right now.

Nothing would make me happier than for Demarkcus to earn the title but right now it’s CJ and ETN is the heir apparent.

null

May 4, 2019, 2:46 PM

From a recruiting ranking standpoint or from a “best player” standpoint?

From a recruiting ranking standpoint spiller and Bellamy were both five stars, I don’t know how the 3 compare in terms of the consensus between the various services. But he would be in the discussion at a minimum.

From a “best rb” standpoint impossible to tell until his career at Clemson is over, his film suggests he will be in that discussion as well. I disagree with the comparisons to spiller, he reminds me much more of etienne or perhaps dalvin cook than spiller. Sometimes I wonder if these comparisons people make are based on factors like “ five star Florida player to Clemson” rather than FILM STUDY. Stop being lazy.

Replies: 37
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic