Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Although it’s a long way off.......
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

Although it’s a long way off.......

May 4, 2019, 10:03 AM

The opening game with GT is going to be a great event for college football. The debut of the ACC network will be this game between two of college football oldest rivalries. As most of you know, for years this game was played in Atlanta every year until 1974. I believe the first game was played in Augusta in 1898. The GT series is what began the “two dollar bill” tradition. I always thought that this series was so important to each team that a special award should be given to the winner. Since Coach Heisman was lured away from Clemson by GT in 1903 it would be fitting that the winner be awarded a “ mini Heisman” trophy each year. Much like the leather helmet trophy presented to the BC/ Clemson winner. A great way to promote this upcoming game ... I think.

I’m sure that this opening game of 2019 will be highly publicized and a special Thursday night in Death Valley will really be a big time event. Get your tickets now! What a team the Tigers will have running down the hill to begin another championship season on August 29th.

GO Tigers

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Although it’s a long way off.......

May 4, 2019, 10:10 AM

I’m sure there is probably some kind of copyright on the Heisman trophy and you can’t duplicate it. But how about a statuette of Heisman himself?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Super thoughts & suggestions FOREST & 1972!

May 4, 2019, 10:24 AM

A statue of Heisman is something I want!!!

And Yes, that Thursday night game in DV is going to be a historical one.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Super thoughts & suggestions FOREST & 1972!

May 4, 2019, 10:53 AM

The Heisman trophy was produced in 1935 but not registered until 2007
For works created before January 1, 1978, that were published or registered before that date, the
initial term of copyright was twenty-eight years from the date of publication with notice or from the
date of registration. At the end of the initial term, the copyright could be renewed for another sixty seven years for a total term of protection of up to ninety-five years. To extend copyright into the
renewal term, two registrations had to be made before the original term expired: one for the original
term and the other for the renewal term. This requirement was eliminated on June 26, 1992, and
renewal term registration is now optional.

Re: Super thoughts & suggestions FOREST & 1972!

May 4, 2019, 10:55 AM [ in reply to Super thoughts & suggestions FOREST & 1972! ]

I agree - let’s do it !!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

May 4, 2019, 10:52 AM

Isn't it fascinating to see that the two teams, USC and Ga Tech, who would not stoop to the level of playing at the little cow college in NW South Carolina until 1959 for Carolina and until 1974 for Ga Tech, are now groveling to come to Clemson!!! And now we can dictate to them the terms, not the other way around.

May 4, 2019, 11:04 AM

Obviously we could not use the Heisman name or statue but another similar award would add a lot to this highly anticipated annual game.

May 4, 2019, 11:29 AM

Wasn’t there a famous bet made on this game a long time ago where the payoff was made in bushels of apples or peaches or something? How about a trophy that looks kind of like the Orange Bowl trophy but filled with apples instead of oranges. I mean, if we can’t use the name Heisman or a miniature of the Herman trophy we need something from long ago that ties the two teams together. Of course I may be wrong and that bet could have been made when we played some other team. Maybe Georgia?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 4, 2019, 2:26 PM

I was at the '74 game with a very lovely co-ed. My parents came and we all stayed with one of his post war fraternity brothers who lived in Atlanta. Dad's buddy had become a tech fan, and he was quite shocked at our win. lol

$2 bills had become scarce for dad brought a bunch with him. As we went around town paying your bill in $2s, we got the strangest looks.

An alternate idea for the CU/GaTech series

May 5, 2019, 11:11 AM

The premise of John Heisman coaching at both schools is a good link. It's just trying to PRY that Heisman name away from "The Heisman Trophy Trust" is a very big hurdle. Maybe the "Trust" would end up losing a court battle, but I bet the HTT would sue, & neither school would want that.

Just thinking though - maybe come up with a trophy honoring the 2 coaches who put both teams on the map; Frank Howard & Bobby Dodd. The "Howard-Dodd Trophy" or "Dodd-Howard Trophy" & play for that. You know - anyone calling the game would inevitably talk about Heisman coaching at both schools - so that would still get mentioned, along with how old the rivalry is, etc. Just a thought!

This would be a great year/game to start it, too. Another thing to talk about on the ACC Net's inaugural night!

GT will, also be playing it's first post Johnson era game!

May 5, 2019, 11:16 AM

No triple option!!

Pioneer of Football Trophy?

May 5, 2019, 11:33 AM

Sportswriter Fuzzy Woodruff dubbed Heisman the "pioneer of Southern football".

Would that get around copyright? Make it look like an original worn / torn football? Could even list the coaches of both schools on it?

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic