Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Without googling the answer; how many Tiger fans can name
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Without googling the answer; how many Tiger fans can name

Mar 25, 2019, 5:57 PM

the Clemson basketball coach who preceeded Press Maravich??

I know Apex can, Joe 21 for sure, maybe lightbulb Bill and a handful of other Tnetters......

The correct answer is none other than Clemson's legendary and iconic Banks McFadden who was head basketball coach for the seven seasons prior to Maravich's arrival.

Coupla things:.....how many folks can go from being head basketball coach at a university (actually, Clemson was still a college in those days) and then switch over to become an assistant head coach on the football team?? Pretty remarkable, IMO

Also, I'm very surprised there's not been some sort of book written about Coach McFadden's exploits and the Clemson life he led. Somebody's missing an opportunity to get published and I think the book would become a coffee table favorite amongst the legions of Clemson fans (hard to believe I'm typing "legions of CLemson fans"---but I guess its true these days)

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I funked the test!

Mar 25, 2019, 6:07 PM

F

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I funked the test!

Mar 25, 2019, 6:19 PM

or can remember when the ga brothers all played at Clemson

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All I know is that all 3 weren't playing at the same time

Mar 25, 2019, 6:23 PM

Richie came in '65 when Randy was a senior and the oldest had already gone.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: All I know is that all 3 weren't playing at the same time

Mar 25, 2019, 6:28 PM

there were 4

Mar 25, 2019, 6:29 PM

Then the 2 oldest were gone by '65

Mar 25, 2019, 6:39 PM

Tommy, Donnie, Randy, and Richie Mahaffey were our starting centers for 10 consecutive years, and freshmen were ineligible to play varsity then.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Two of the all-time great Clemson bball performances were

Mar 25, 2019, 10:40 PM

back to back by Randy Mahaffey, when we beat UNCheat & NC State on consecutive nights in Charlotte, in the old North-South Doubleheader. I think it was 1968, but could have been '67. I think Randy scored 30 in one of the games, and 20 plus in the other, while dominating the boards. I was there, in high school at the time!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Two of the all-time great Clemson bball performances were

Mar 25, 2019, 11:24 PM

I think it was in 65 or 66 when we beat UNC in the North-South Classic. Randy may have been a junior or senior. I thought he was by far the best of the Mahaffey brothers.

Mar 25, 2019, 11:24 PM [ in reply to Re: All I know is that all 3 weren't playing at the same time ]

I bet those boy's parents were glad they were tall and could play basketball.

Sure saved their parents a lot in tuition.

Mar 25, 2019, 10:21 PM [ in reply to All I know is that all 3 weren't playing at the same time ]

I'll never forget seeing Randy Mahaffey walking to his 8am class the morning after we played at Duke the night before. I was impressed! Great guy. Great family. High character!

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I funked the test!

Mar 25, 2019, 9:39 PM [ in reply to I funked the test! ]

Bill --- You can erase your F. I knew you young guys may not have known the correct answer so I voted for you. There have been many stories about Banks illustrious career but I don't know if there is a book. I'll check with his daughter and post her response.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Banks McFadden

Mar 25, 2019, 6:41 PM

Undoubtably one of the greatest athletes to ever put on a Clemson uniform in football, basketball and track. I grew up down the street from the McFaddens, great family.

True

Mar 25, 2019, 6:44 PM

true.

Re: Banks McFadden- and one of the nicest

Mar 25, 2019, 8:23 PM [ in reply to Banks McFadden ]

and most humble men I've ever met. You would never known he was a star athlete. Class act and Clemson gentlemen

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That would be Banks McFadden...

Mar 25, 2019, 7:19 PM

although well before my time.

My first recollection of a Clemson basketball coach was Tates Locke

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Press who?***

Mar 25, 2019, 8:12 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was pretty sure is was McFadden, but my memory of him

Mar 25, 2019, 10:49 PM

was when I was a student, McFadden had lost his job as assistant football coach, during the changeover from Frank Howard to Hootie Ingram. He was given the job of intramurals director, with a small office in Fike. I remember going into his office to turn in our rosters for intramural basketball & softball teams. He always seemed like the nicest person in the world.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He was still there in early 80's......

Mar 26, 2019, 5:43 AM

I had buddy that worked in his office, stopped by visit my buddy couple times and saw Banks in office. Buddy always said Banks was his hero.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Without googling the answer; how many Tiger fans can name

Mar 26, 2019, 11:07 AM

Coaches in the 20s and 30s normally coached more than a single sport. IE, head coach of basketball as a football assistant, etc.

Budgets then were not as now, neither was the tendency to specialize in a single sport.

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic