Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Tiger Band
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 2,742

Tiger Band

Sep 10, 2018, 12:01 AM

I’m sure this has already been said somewhere but a couple of times won’t hurt: The game was great last night. Negatives and positives all over the place but bottom line is we won. I’ve sat thru many, many games when a “win” was just getting close so many thanks to the team, coaches. and fans. It was terrific.

I do have a hard time understanding why the full Tiger Band was not there. To me, money is not an excuse. Fundraising all over Clemson is at record levels plus TV/Bowl/Playoff revenue must be the highest ever plus record season ticket sales, etc.

World class schools behave as such. I have no data but would be willing to bet the Alabama band goes to almost all away games. Florida State does. The University of Texas does. It is a disgrace that our full great Tiger Band was not there last night.

The Pep Band did a great job. Thank you to them. But given we really only have 3 “big” games this year and 2 are on the road, this policy of the full band not traveling needs to be re-visited.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When I was in the band we went everywhere with the team...

Sep 10, 2018, 2:54 AM

including the trip to the Indy Bowl where we blew money like a drunken sailor to thumb our nose at the ACC for the extra year of probation. If I recall every room, if not every person, had a bottle of champagne waiting for us in our room to celebrate our loss to Minnesota. I believe the only exception around that time was when we played Duke in Tokyo, and the offer was made to take a pep band. Bruce Cook said "I'm not going to decide who gets to go or not, so it's all or none." So I think they took Grambling or someone like that as a "neutral" band for both teams. But otherwise, where the Tigers went, so did we.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: When I was in the band we went everywhere with the team...

Sep 10, 2018, 6:56 AM

It's a combination of stress on band members and their studies, and cost. I imagine airfare, hotel, and food for ~375 to Texas could cost $400,000+. I doubt the athletic department would be willing to kick that kind of cash around for a regular season game, despite their late fundraising.
Back in the day, we did pep band for away games scheduled during fall break, and the Tokyo Bowl vs Duke in '91 was 100 member pep band (I got to go)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: When I was in the band we went everywhere with the team...

Sep 10, 2018, 9:50 AM [ in reply to When I was in the band we went everywhere with the team... ]

Yep we went everywhere the team went back in my days. The money flowed freely. Now it all goes to inflated salaries, etc. I can't reply, cause I've been banned or is that Band. LOL!

I think it has to do with only getting 5000 tickets

Sep 10, 2018, 6:42 AM

And how many does that place sit, 102,000?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Well, let the 300-400 of Band Menbers be in that 5K Allottment!

Sep 10, 2018, 6:49 AM

Since they make more noise & represent Clemson probably better than 1000 of normal Clemson fans!

Oh, forgot,,they don’t buy tix! ??

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Leader need to ensure we have more money in our recruiting

Sep 10, 2018, 9:05 AM

budget than UGA and our other neighbors.

If we need another lap pool, DJ in the locker room, or putt putt course to land the 5 stars then that is where the money needs to be spent.

My understanding is that Clemson is already a little behind in that the SEC schools gets more money from the TV than ACC schools.

Alabama and FSU aren't world class schools.

Sep 10, 2018, 10:01 AM

Clemson is a far better school academically, but it is a small school in comparison to the schools that travel with huge bands (and who have music majors). I don't base a school's "world class" status on whether or not they bring a large band to road football games, so I suppose we will have to agree to disagree.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Alabama and FSU aren't world class schools.

Sep 12, 2018, 12:09 PM

I totally agree with you....my reference to "world class" was around the football program including the band..

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It is my understanding

Sep 10, 2018, 11:03 AM

That only a small group came b/c we were not part of the halftime show. The a&m band is always the whole show at home games. Actually made me wonder if at next years game a&m doesnt bring their whole band

Re: It is my understanding

Sep 10, 2018, 4:38 PM

I loved the Texas A&M Fightin' Aggie Band. Their halftime show was fantastic,

I was surprised they did no pre-game show. I have never been to a college football game where the band did not perform a pre-game show. Seemed strange for them to play the national anthem from their seats in the stands.

It would be great if Texas A&M brought the entire band to Death Valley next year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It is my understanding

Sep 11, 2018, 8:48 AM [ in reply to It is my understanding ]

A&M always allows visiting teams to bring their entire band and perform at halftime. Unfortunately this has been an issue with some SEC schools since we joined the conference. In the old SWC the band went to every conference game and halftime. Same with the Big 12, they would allow time for a halftime performance if the band travelled. . It seems the SEC bands don’t travel as much, bringing pep bands and not performing at halftime is more the norm. There have been several instances of schools denying any time for the Fightin’ Texas Aggie Band to march.

If the visiting team doesn’t perform then the FTAB will typically do a longer drill. The band doesn’t repeat performances during the year...a new one is done for every game.

As long as Clemson gives time for the Aggie Band, I’m sure they will be there marching next year. Likely upperclassmen only, I think if they fly (outside of bowl games) they leave the freshmen home to save on travel costs.

We'd rather sell the tickets to IPTAY Boosters.***

Sep 10, 2018, 4:40 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 12
| visibility 2,742
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic