Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
This will not be a popular opinion
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 52
| visibility 1

This will not be a popular opinion

Jun 2, 2019, 6:20 PM

But if you can’t see or defend the problems associated with our baseman’s basketball programs, then you too, are a part of the problem.

Monte is clueless. Want proof? Watch the games, you will see. His managing of baseball 101 is laughable.

Brownlee is the biggest fraud who’s ever coached in the ACC. This clown loses every close game. Want proof? Watch the games.

We deserve better and if you can’t see it, you’re a part of the problem.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

lets talk who to hire before fire***

Jun 2, 2019, 6:26 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: lets talk who to hire before fire***

Jun 2, 2019, 6:57 PM

Offer the Duke Coach 600k he will be here tomorrow.
Duke is well Coached has over achieved the last 2 years.
They play gritty good fundamental baseball and the pitching staff is always solid.
They were 1 game from the CWS last season and lost most of the key players from that team and had a decent year this season.
They will be hard to beat next season

Actually still playing.

Jun 2, 2019, 7:03 PM

Are in winners round in Morgantown. A&M has to beat them twice to eliminate them from another super regional.

Re: Actually still playing.

Jun 2, 2019, 7:09 PM

They lost a ton from last years team and got better as the year has gone on .
A sign of good Coaching.
We are the opposite, our players are better before they get here . After a full season here they forget how to play baseball.

already hired their pitching coach***

Jun 3, 2019, 7:51 AM [ in reply to Re: lets talk who to hire before fire*** ]

Half of the Clemson fanbase defended Tommy Bowden

Jun 2, 2019, 6:27 PM

up until Dabo beat LSU in the Peach Bowl. The fear of getting worse overrides the hope of getting better for some people.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This will not be a popular opinion

Jun 2, 2019, 6:50 PM

I bet you are an emotional guy!

“our baseman’s basketball programs...”?***

Jun 2, 2019, 6:52 PM

null

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

It’s how the kids these days say

Jun 2, 2019, 7:06 PM

“our baseman’s basketball program”

Re: It’s how the kids these days say

Jun 2, 2019, 7:15 PM

Samir says, “yes, this is harrible..”

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You wouldn't understand because you don't

Jun 2, 2019, 9:26 PM [ in reply to “our baseman’s basketball programs...”?*** ]

speak cluckonics.

You are keerect, it's not a popular opinion. If Brownell

Jun 2, 2019, 7:18 PM

gets 9+ years, Monte deserves more than 4. I don't think there are many coaches out there who would have taken this team much further than we went, with this same pitching staff. We need some better quality arms. Think back, when did we last have a pitcher who was considered elite? Not good, ELITE. It's been awhile. We get back some arms that were lost before the season even began for next year, I will wait and see.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You are keerect, it's not a popular opinion. If Brownell

Jun 2, 2019, 7:41 PM

Well our baseball program has a history of being elite which is not the case with basketball, so I wouldn’t say a baseball manager deserves the same amount of years as our basketball coach.

In terms of the pitching, who exactly is in charge of getting good pitchers on our roster?

Our football program is elite...

Jun 2, 2019, 8:22 PM

Our baseball program has a history of being good.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Our baseball program has been much better than it is.

Jun 3, 2019, 7:54 AM

Good, bad, indifferent or some/sum of any points in between.

Elite probably too strong a word without the Omaha hardware.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed.***

Jun 3, 2019, 8:29 AM

Let me get this straight.

Jun 2, 2019, 7:25 PM

You want to fire a coach after just four years here who has made the NCAAs every year and represents our school well, in a sport that loses money every year?

I want to win too, but firing a coach this early in his tenure in a sport which really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of college athletics is just ludicrous.

He deserves another 2-3 years in my book, and if he hasn't gotten us to Omaha by then, I'll agree that it's time to go in a different direction.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Let me get this straight.

Jun 2, 2019, 7:51 PM

I bet the people working for you LOVE you because no matter how many times they screw up they don’t have to worry about getting fired.....Go Tigers!!!!!!!

I’m all for big goals and high expectations, but

Jun 2, 2019, 8:19 PM

the truth is that we haven’t been a baseball power in a long time. I believe we can get back there, but four years into Monte’s tenure is too soon to demand a change.

Baseball on the college level is broken. Many top signees decide to go pro instead of coming to college. Plus, some schools circumvent the scholarship limit by giving players academic scholarships from their endowments. The playing field isn’t level.

These aren’t excuses. I believe we should still see our program recruit well, and improve throughout the course of the season. We shouldn’t lose to Jacksonville State in anything. But some people here are overreacting.

At the end of the day, it’s just baseball and it loses money every year.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: I’m all for big goals and high expectations, but

Jun 2, 2019, 8:23 PM

That last statement about “ at the end of the day it’s just baseball and it loses money “.... is a disgrace.

You’re a disgrace.

I’ve never encountered anyone on message board that I dislike anymore than you. I think you’re a fool and EVERYTHING that isn’t Clemson.

You’re a fool.

Thanks, I’m honored.***

Jun 2, 2019, 8:50 PM

Re: Thanks, I’m honored.***

Jun 2, 2019, 11:24 PM

You are a disgrace for thinking baseball loses money and is insignificant. Tell me, where is all this money being lost? 11 scholarships a year? Baseball had a perfect 1.000 apr... Lots of great kids that will make a huge impact on society.

I call that a win. Not a disgrace!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tell him how you really feel***

Jun 3, 2019, 8:44 AM [ in reply to Re: I’m all for big goals and high expectations, but ]

Jun 3, 2019, 7:30 PM [ in reply to Re: I’m all for big goals and high expectations, but ]

What's wrong with stating a fact? FYE 2018 baseball only had revenues of $1,998,787 and expenses of $3,620,802 for a loss of about 1.62 Million. Like it or not baseball is not a major college sport.

https://clemsontigers.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/EADA-2018.pdf

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Jun 3, 2019, 8:04 PM

You’re right, I’m not privy to all the financial issues and how the numbers are crunched but I believe you missed my point in that any sport that produces 20 youngsters that score perfect on the APR will contribute way more than just the raw gross losses.

Taking jk approach, then any academic scholarship is a waste of time because it cost the university money.

Btw- there’s a ton of people that think baseball is a major sport. We drew more people for baseball attendance than b-ball. More people attend baseball games at ole miss and LSU than they attend b-ball.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 3, 2019, 11:41 PM

I'm not saying that college baseball is a waste of time, because it's really the last form of playing the game for passion and not as a career. With that being said, conferences dont sign TV deals for college baseball, and it doesnt have a large following outside of a select few schools. Even in a down year that our basketball team underachieved average home attendance was higher (7,015) than the DKS all time attendance record (6,524).

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

college baseball is broken? there's a lot of teams that are

Jun 2, 2019, 8:51 PM [ in reply to I’m all for big goals and high expectations, but ]

doing a better job than we are... I'm sick of hearing excuses for Brad and Monte.

It's always the environment around us, tough ACC schedule.. etc. etc. There's no excuse to have losing cultures in both of these programs.

Look at our women's basketball team.. We made a million excuses for them too and finally we hired a winner. Her players are gritty, tough and confident. Just like Dabo's. Players take on the personality of their coaches.. We are BLOWING it. They are never going to be profitable.. JUST WIN ######

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Let me get this straight.

Jun 2, 2019, 8:59 PM [ in reply to Let me get this straight. ]

This is a complete logical fallacy. We fired a Hall of Famer would went to 11 Super Regionals and 6 College World Series in 17 seasons because one 5 year stretch without either was too much to give him a vote of confidence. Now, the coach who inherited a great crop of players and brand new facilities that Leggett personally raised the funds for deserves more? We fired Leggett on the premise that everything is in place for Clemson to be an elite baseball program and that his failure to advance from 2011-2015 was solely his responsibility. Lee should be held to no less a standard. And, if it’s “just baseball”. This is a contract year for Lee anyway. He only has 3 seasons left on his contract. Since most athletic departments have been duped into believing coaches have to have 4 years on their contract, we’re at the point where we invest even more money in Lee And tie ourselves to him further despite him not doing what he was brought in to do. Financially, it would pretty much be a wash to let him go.

Jstone D329 - “ It’s ok to want a coaching change”
Brownell @Clemson: 8 seasons ranked 50th or worse by Sports Reference’s SRS
1-29: Brad Brownell road record against ranked ACC opponents
142, 161, 294, 307, 293, 166, 225, 180, 260, 164, 141, 72, 68 - assist rankings amongst all D1 programs during Brownell's tenure

If those were the expectations laid out for Monte when he was hired

Jun 2, 2019, 9:11 PM

then I agree, he has fallen short of them.

I believe we should be better than we have been recently. I just don’t think baseball justifies firing a likable, winning coach after four years. It’s a minor sport in comparison to football and basketball.

Re: If those were the expectations laid out for Monte when he was hired

Jun 2, 2019, 9:18 PM

What does likability have to do with this? I assume you were solidly and vocally against Leggett’s firing, or did he fail the likeability test too. Because everyone thought he was perfectly likeable until SCar booted him from the post-season 3 seasons in a row. Nevermind that they played for 3 consecutive CWS championships and won 2 in that stretch.

142, 161, 294, 307, 293, 166, 225, 180, 260, 164, 141, 72, 68 - assist rankings amongst all D1 programs during Brownell's tenure

My point is that he represents the program well.

Jun 2, 2019, 10:01 PM

Seems like a nice guy who recruits good players who do well on and off the field.

That alone isn't worth keeping a guy, but I do believe it should earn a coach some grace. It would be easier to fire someone who is a huge jerk who runs a dirty program.

Jun 2, 2019, 7:36 PM

I don't want to fire Monte either, but he is going to have to start showing something in the next couple of years. I want our team to be competitive and I want to see players develop and improve from year to year. Someone can probably show me statistics to prove me wrong, but I have not seen a lot of improvement in Davidson, Green, Teodosio, Hall, and several others. I like how Wilkie has progressed, but he has always been a productive hitter as the season moves along. His defense is sometimes spectacular and sometimes not, but overall pretty solid. Byrd has gotten better, especially as a hitter.

I don't think I can name a single pitcher who has gotten better but can name at least five who have gotten worse. I don't know what Monte has to do, but doing the same thing over and over does not seem to be working.

How do you really feel!***

Jun 2, 2019, 7:52 PM

Needs to advance from a regional next year or needs to go

Jun 2, 2019, 8:33 PM

This is Clemson baseball, and Monty was brought in to take us back to Omaha, not just make the NCAA tournament. End of discussion

Jun 2, 2019, 9:13 PM

Should have hired Mazzey at WVU or Matt Lecroy whose a minor league coach with the Nationals. Both former Tigers and both would have jumped at the job

WOW!!!

Jun 2, 2019, 9:31 PM

Another one of those that only comment when we lose in something and disappear when we win...

I would like to know how you felt during Dabo's first 3 years here...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: WOW!!!

Jun 2, 2019, 10:59 PM

Dabo showed significant positive changes, most notably in recruiting, in his earlier seasons. Dabo also took Clemson to the ACC championship 2 in his first 3 full seasons - something Bowden didn’t accomplish in a decade. Lee has not improved upon his predecessor worst seasons in any meaningful way.

Monte won the ACC in his first season ...

Jun 3, 2019, 8:39 AM

Clemson hadn’t won the ACC in quite a while.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Monte won the ACC in his first season ...

Jun 3, 2019, 10:27 AM

If you actually followed college baseball you would know how meaningless that is. If 11 Super Regionals and 6 CWS in 17 seasons bought Leggett no loyalty then what exactly has a coach who has never even been to the CWS in his career done to buy stronger loyalty?

Jun 3, 2019, 4:41 PM

Loyalty to Monte is not part of my statement.

You brought up winning the ACC title as a Clemson sports benchmark.

I just stated a fact.

I agree that simply winning the ACC baseball tournament in and of itself, is not a huge deal.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 3, 2019, 5:12 PM

And hosted 3 regionals, winning none of them. To get eliminated by a 4 seed is unacceptable. Since winning the ACC with JL's players, the program has plateaued and is now declining. It's obvious. Watch the games. ML can't coach and can't develop players. The program is simply headed in the wrong direction. The only question is how long does Clemson stay with him.

Jun 3, 2019, 6:13 PM

Well, if we’ve learned anything from this Brad Brownell situation, i would say Monte is going to be here a very very long time, unfortunately.

Jun 3, 2019, 7:30 PM [ in reply to Re: Monte won the ACC in his first season ... ]

I mentioned it because someone tried to draw an equivalency between Coach Swinney's early years and Coach Lee's when there is no such equivalence. The ACC football championship is significant. You must win your division to get there. Something Bowden never did. The ACC baseball tournament is pool play nonsense designed by the coaches to minimize wear on their players. Coach Lee won after finishing the season 4th in the division. Coach Leggett only finished 4th once in his 10 years of division play. Coach Lee has done it twice in 4. That is regression.

Jun 6, 2019, 2:21 PM [ in reply to Re: Monte won the ACC in his first season ... ]

Viztiz actively pulls for Monte to fail as a coach...

Just look at my signature for proof...

One more year until you pay up Viztiz.

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

Jun 3, 2019, 7:01 PM [ in reply to Re: WOW!!! ]

You do realize Dabo was on staff and already a lead recruiter under Bowden. I don’t disagree that he made improvements, but he was already doing that as a WR coach.

I disagree with the narrative that ML is underachieving. I think the program has a long way to go, but it’s more than ML.

Jun 3, 2019, 7:32 PM

then you don't actually pay attention to Clemson baseball and just like to have opinions on message boards. As above, in a decade of divisional baseball play Leggett only finished 4th in the ACC once. Lee has done it twice in 4 years. That's definitely trending down.

Jun 3, 2019, 7:46 PM

Go on, what empirical data supports your argument?

Opinions are opinions, but don’t pretend yours is somehow more relevant than someone else’s.

Everyone that posted in this thread need some facts

Jun 3, 2019, 9:00 PM [ in reply to Re: WOW!!! ]

Viztiz, I think I understand what you’re trying to say... that leggett is a hof coach. Honestly, imo his firing was a snap decision by the AD based on the two coot n/c and the fact we lost to them in our best chance at a natty.

But I have to agree with bloodbOrange.... there’s more to it than just ML. Jack, as all coaches nowadays would be hard pressed to accomplish what he did in the last decade 00-09.

There’s a couple data that I’ll give you to show what else is going on. First- Monte has a different philosophy than JL. It takes time to make a drastic change like that. Fact

2, his recruit classes are trending upward. Fact.

3. We lost the “Clemson Fund “... I can’t explain exactly what it was but DRad is trying to get it back. I do know it was a creative way to get Monte more money for scholarships in baseball...

4. The 2009 rule changes that took several years to affect College Baseball. The article posted below explains what did and is happening through the eyes of some darn good baseball coaches like Corbin, LSU etc Fact:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_e0fd5b7d-935a-5e2d-b354-0b92d4feb23f.amp.html

Re: Everyone that posted in this thread need some facts

Jun 3, 2019, 9:14 PM

K2, good post. Thank you. That was a good explanation and in so many words my opinion as well. I’m kind of like you both on JL in terms of his being dismissed, but I’d rather pursue the unknown with ML than knee jerk yet again.

Jun 3, 2019, 11:20 PM

No, thank you. That’s exactly what I was trying to say to everyone else is that you were stating fscts. I was a little long winded and should have just posted the article.

Jun 3, 2019, 9:18 PM [ in reply to Everyone that posted in this thread need some facts ]

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/2019/03/18/clemson-baseball-hurt-end-common-market-aid-coach-says/3139127002/

Jun 3, 2019, 11:22 PM

Thank you DSP. I keep calling it the Clemson fund but I never knew exactly what DRad was talking about when they interviewed him and asked him about this.

Really appreciate it.!!!!

Replies: 52
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic