Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
ACC vs SEC facts verses fiction
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 51

ACC vs SEC facts verses fiction

Aug 14, 2019, 1:16 PM

Its hard to separate fact and fiction in most conference vs conference discussions. I would say SEC is somewhat better than ACC, especially this year. When FSU, Miami, VT are all down at same time it is hard to be good. However here are the facts.

Head to head match ups, ACC vs SEC in CFP era by year.

2014 5-3
2015 4-6
2016 10-4
2017 5-7
2018 4-6

Total 28-26

ACC has more head to head wins verses SEC during CFP era.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ACC vs SEC facts verses fiction

Aug 14, 2019, 1:18 PM

no conference that relies on a pencil necked elephant eared shill is better than the ACC

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When you say "SEC"

Aug 14, 2019, 1:22 PM

I don't think you are supposed to count

-Vandy
-Mizzou
-Ole Miss
-Arky
-Miss State
-Tennessee
-SCAR
-Florida
-Auburn
-LSU
-TAMU
-Georgia
-Kentucky

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

take out the clemson factor

Aug 14, 2019, 1:48 PM

I did not go back to all the years listed but I do remember us winning South Carolina, Texas & AM, and Alabama in 2018. You had last year as 4-6 but with Clemson out of the equation 1-6.

I really wish other teams in the ACC rise and challenge nationally. I loved what Virgina did with the coots last year. We need more teams like this.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson Is Coming" says Stephone Anthony (Class 2011)"
"Why NOT Clemson"
"Why Not Dabo"

You'll have to take out the bama factor as well.

Aug 14, 2019, 2:35 PM

Then take out the georgia factor.

Then away games
Then take out games acc teams lost

Then it is acc 234 sec-0

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: You'll have to take out the bama factor as well.

Aug 14, 2019, 4:20 PM

I like it! :)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: take out the clemson factor

Aug 14, 2019, 3:10 PM [ in reply to take out the clemson factor ]

yes, ACC should strive to get good enough to win all SEC games and lose all games to Clemson. Seems fair don't it.

Aug 14, 2019, 4:04 PM [ in reply to take out the clemson factor ]

Why would you take out the Clemson factor? I believe we are in the ACC, whether Swoffy wants us to be or not.

Why would you take Clemson out of the equation?

Aug 14, 2019, 8:38 PM [ in reply to take out the clemson factor ]

Are you taking Bama out? Some folks are so silly!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Take out the Clemson factor???? Surely you jest!

Aug 14, 2019, 11:28 PM [ in reply to take out the clemson factor ]

Go ahead. Make the numbers sound like you want.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 15, 2019, 10:10 AM [ in reply to take out the clemson factor ]

lol There is some truth in that. And I don't pull for a conference - I pull for Clemson. But my coworker is a Canes fan and she got riled up at me when I prophesied they would *&^& the bed vs the Gators next week. And the Tarholes would do the same vs the chickens the next week. My explanation - "Cuz y'all just do!" Thank the Lord for UVA stepping up finally.

Would bet every penny I have that a top to bottom

Aug 14, 2019, 1:53 PM

ACC vs. SEC matchup in football like ACC - Big 10 Challenge in basketball, would be dominated by the SEC.

Also, with Louisville and FSU being so bad, look for the SEC to start winning the rivalry weekend for a while.

I realize that the SEC being the best is way overstated, but I ain’t stupid either. Top to bottom, they are the best most years.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 14, 2019, 2:15 PM

Another fact: The other ACC teams and media do not ride Clemson's coattails like the other SEC teams and media ride Alabama's coattails.

Another fact: The Clemson coaching staff analyze plays that have been successful against Clemson to avoid successful copy cat plays in future games.

Another fact: Clemson coaches do not make stupid public remarks about other teams using copy cat plays.

Another fact: When fans of other schools make disparaging remarks about anything Clemson, rest assured, envy has reared it's ugly head.

Another fact: When Clemson can demolish the greatest team ever assembled, it's proof positive Clemson should be in the final four regardless of our perceived easy schedule or any other factor.

Another fact: When the media or fans of other schools make disparaging comments about Clemson, I don't like it.

Another fact: When the media or fans of other schools heap praise on Clemson, those automatically become smart and good people.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There are a couple of undeniable advantages that

Aug 14, 2019, 2:20 PM

the SEC has (and probably always will have) over the ACC.

1) They have much bigger fan bases on average. While the ACC has Clemson, FSU and perhaps VT, the SEC has Bama, LSU, Auburn, A&M, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, and South Carolina all filling 80-105k stadiums every Saturday. Even schools like Miss St and Arkansas have solid fanbases that would rival anyone in the upper half of the ACC. And this tends to translate directly into commitment made by their respective ADs to spend money on facilities and coaches.

2) The SEC has a lot more programs capable of reaching nationally elite status. 6 different SEC schools have won national titles in the BCS/CFP era and a 7th (A&M) is clearly capable of doing so if they can ever put it all together. Of course all of those programs go through down cycles, but any of of the 7 are capable of putting a top 5-10 team on the field within the next 2 years. The ACC has about half that number and all of them aside from Clemson are currently in the middle of downturns.

Are you counting the BCS/CFP championship UGA awarded

Aug 14, 2019, 2:51 PM

themselves? Believe it is only 5 teams.

You are correct.***

Aug 14, 2019, 3:00 PM

Re: Are you counting the BCS/CFP championship UGA awarded

Aug 14, 2019, 5:15 PM [ in reply to Are you counting the BCS/CFP championship UGA awarded ]

and ACC 4-ish

Clemson
'criminols
GTech
Miami paroles - pre ACC

Not bad for the 'worst P5 conference'

Pitt Panthers & BC

Aug 14, 2019, 6:56 PM

Since we are talking ancient history add Pitt and BC.
In fact, Pitt has the claim of most National Titles on the east coast over Miami. They claim 9.

https://www.225.pitt.edu/story/pitt-football-nine-titles

Boston College won one in 1940 or 40 years prior to Georgia - however you want to put it. Or very nearly the time since Georgia last won one.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The OP was talking CFP era, you are the one talking ancient

Aug 14, 2019, 8:35 PM

history!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The OP was talking CFP era, you are the one talking ancient

Aug 14, 2019, 9:04 PM

longtallsam® I was responding to someone else's post regarding SEC prowess!

Geesh!

The point i was making is that the SEC has 7 programs

Aug 15, 2019, 10:20 AM

that are capable of making it into the CFP and potentially winning a national title in the next ~5 years. Tennessee making the playoff in that time frame would be surprising because they have a ways to go to build the talent back up and Pruitt still has to prove he can be a high level coach, but I'm not sure any of the others would really surprise me.

In contrast the ACC has about 3 and that's only if FSU and Miami can get their act together. VT did make the BCS title game back in 1999 but they did under very different circumstances (legendary coach, generational talent at QB, peak of the program's history, etc). I do not think of VT as a program capable of competing for a title right now. Anyone else would be an extreme long shot. I don't care what GT did 30 years ago or Pitt did 40-50 years ago, neither of those programs are anywhere close to competing for a playoff spot. They have both been ~7 win programs for the last 2 decades.

GT won their title nearly a decade before the BCS era

Aug 14, 2019, 7:45 PM [ in reply to Re: Are you counting the BCS/CFP championship UGA awarded ]

began and are not a program capable of winning another one anytime soon nor have they been in a long time. Hell even that 1990 title was fluky. They were 7-4 the year prior and 8-5 the year after. Right now i just don't consider GT as a program capable of winning a title. They don't recruit anywhere near well enough. They are probably even below a program like UNC. Until GT shows that they can recruit with the big boys that raid Atlanta they will be a couple of notches below about half of the SEC.

Re: There are a couple of undeniable advantages that

Aug 14, 2019, 9:21 PM [ in reply to There are a couple of undeniable advantages that ]

All the sec schools are larger student populations than acc schools I think. Heck Nc has Nc stat, duke, wake and unc within a few miles of each other So, if you have more students, you should have bigger stadiums even if they are terrible at some sports, like usc football.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 14, 2019, 8:37 PM

Good work!

Aug 14, 2019, 9:12 PM

Listen, I understand that the SEC is overrated. But, Syracuse is our 2nd best team. And Virginia is probably our 3rd best team. Until Miami and Florida State are back, this conversation is dead. Georgia, LSU, Texas A&M, and Florida are all top 15 teams. Outside of Clemson, the ACC doesn’t have any. Recruiting is killing our conference. The other teams just don’t land enough elite talent. The SEC is the better conference. Until those other teams recruit better, that will always be the case.

The reality is

Aug 14, 2019, 9:17 PM

Without elite coaching, elite talent is little more than potential.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wrong!

Aug 14, 2019, 9:41 PM

Seems the "over-hyped" part is not being retained when anything SEC comes up!
Clearly LSU, Alabama, Georgia, Texas A&M, Florida, Auburn are all elite - but there are more teams in that conference that that! "That Part"!

To say the ACC is just Clemson; but dismiss the Vanderbilt, Kentucky in most years except last year, Scaro, Arkansas of late, etc. is not fair.

And to dismiss another ACC school not named Clemson in 2013 beat a SEC school on the field for a National Title is lunacy.
SEC teams don't
-walk on water
-go unbeaten in bowl season
-impress me top to bottom
-win head to head O.O.C every game they play like the hype would suggest

6-5 during bowl season!
7-5 during bowl season!
Which one was the SEC/ACC - the people who think all teams in that conference are GODS won't guess right!
9-3 in bowl season in 2016
6-7 in bowl season in 2016
Again, SEC apologist and brainwashed folks will flunk this!

They get ranked high and stay ranked high b/c they play another over-hyped team - then get to bowl season versus Big 10 and Pac 12, Big 12 and don't bring it like the hype suggest! Outside of what I already concede. Alabama is good! Period, end story! Everybody else are coat tail riders. ACC teams have a bunch of work to do; but it's nowhere near as bad as "the negative publicity suggest"! The history books the last few years will tell you that!

Re: The reality is

Aug 15, 2019, 10:03 AM [ in reply to The reality is ]

The SEC has elite coaching too. Why pretend like the ACC has more elite coaching lol? Who are the elite coaches in the ACC? There’s Dabo, but nobody else. The thing that separates the two conferences is that the SEC schools recruit a lot better. It’s really that simple. The SEC will always be the best conference as long as they continue to recruit the best players.

Aug 14, 2019, 9:30 PM [ in reply to Re: ACC vs SEC facts verses fiction ]

The only thing is: when the games are played it doesn't always say, SEC is head and shoulders better! I believe in 2016 the ACC nearly had a sweep of the SEC(Clemson,Louisville,Florida St). That's not ancient history!
UVA beat S. Car in dominating fashion. Ironically by 4 td's.

And if it's about the rankings - the over-hype is the generator of that.

The way everyone talks about the SEC in other words means you have to grade other conferences on the curve. Surely no one can beat them with as much hype as teams from a conference who has a few top teams.

Do a middle of the road teams head to head not a strong SEC versus Dang Duke or Wake in down years and it's not a great deal different.

I will agree with you fellas about the conference being better overall. I can agree with that. I don't dismiss the numbers though - b/c the way people yap about the SEC one would think all teams in that conference by some magic of the SEC patch they wear makes them better! Which of course, isn't true! You guys are not getting "that part"!
They better; but give me a break they some type of football gods top to bottom b/c when you say the conference name you encompass all of them!

Aug 15, 2019, 9:59 AM

A lot of that has to do with the individual matchups though. Clemson vs South Carolina. Florida State vs Florida. Louisville vs Kentucky. Etc, etc, etc.

A 7-7 Pittsburg team won the Coastal Division last year. That is not an example of a strong conference. Until Miami and Florida State are back to their elite levels, this is a pointless conversation. Syracuse and Virginia are our 2nd and 3rd best teams. That’s embarrassing.

Replies: 29
| visibility 51
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic