Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
ACAD users
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

ACAD users

Oct 24, 2018, 7:55 AM

I've been using ACAD a while and the last time I updated (to 2011) I chose "Autocad classic" for my menu - refusing to go to the new style. Just upgraded to 2019 yesterday.

Should I force myself to start using the new style layout?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ACAD users

Oct 24, 2018, 8:05 AM

I hate the new upgrade. I swear I can find and click on everything and move back to my spot 10 times quicker than the computer can keep up. It's annoying and its causing me to spend more time on here than at work.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

sig-1

Oct 24, 2018, 8:09 AM

if you still have 2011 installed somewhere, you can get the profile from that machine. Or here is Autodesk's view about it:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2018/ENU/AutoCAD-Core/files/GUID-03F19B49-1DBA-4A99-8DD0-1A63E1E8693C-htm.html

We're on a subscription here, and get the new version every year. I have to move my profile around every time. My settings look like 2000 or before. I only use CAD for sketching, then model in Inventor. So, I like my old 2D settings!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 24, 2018, 8:14 AM

I'm the same way. I like the old layout. My menus have all been customized, etc.

Oct 24, 2018, 8:19 AM

if you go through the Autodesk steps, you should be able to create your stuff again, and then save that profile. Then pull that profile in on your next upgrade.

And like you, I spend most of my time on 3D software

Oct 24, 2018, 8:15 AM [ in reply to Re: ACAD users ]

(SolidWorks). Mostly use ACAD for plant layouts.

(IB4 LOL at SolidWorks)

LOL at Solidworks

Oct 24, 2018, 8:48 AM

Revit FTW

(and yeah, F any acad after 2008)

Inventor all the way baby!!....

Oct 24, 2018, 9:27 AM

actually don't give a crap, but that's what we use...mainly forced on us from our German mother ship. But it gets the job done for us.

I don't actually have to use it so....

Solidworks seems to be what most people use around here

Oct 24, 2018, 9:34 AM [ in reply to And like you, I spend most of my time on 3D software ]

That, or Catia. Don't be ashamed my Solidworks brother.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What is wrong with Solidworks?

Oct 24, 2018, 1:56 PM [ in reply to And like you, I spend most of my time on 3D software ]

If I get into machine design, that was going to be what I used. RIght now I am doing plant layouts using ACAD and piping using Plant 3D (ACAD).

I want to get into machine design and would like to know what the best software for the money is.

Nothing wrong with SW. I like it.

Oct 24, 2018, 2:28 PM

But everyone in here laughs at it.

I like it for modeling and stress analysis.

Oct 24, 2018, 2:34 PM

But dont know if there is something better.

acad? i got this!

Oct 24, 2018, 2:12 PM [ in reply to Re: ACAD users ]

This is why I stick with

Oct 24, 2018, 8:55 AM
drarwing.jpg(39.9 K)

Microsoft Paint

Re: This is why I stick with

Oct 24, 2018, 9:29 AM

7 stories tall with 1 level of windows. Cool castle

Aave Catthews Aand

Oct 24, 2018, 9:50 AM

Dammzit?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The road goes on forever and the party never ends...

Oct 24, 2018, 11:30 AM

I started out doing CAD work around 2000 or so and for the most part was self taught. I caught on pretty quick, worked for an engineering firm, did house plans on the side and used it to supplement my income when I went back to school for engineering. For years I was the whiz with CAD - there was little I couldn't do. However as later editions came out, I started resisting to change. Then they had the ribbon and it became harder and harder to keep up with the revisions and all the updates. CAD went from something I loved to work in, to something I began to loathe. I spent more time on forums chatting with Indian and Chinese kids than I did actually drawing and spent an unfathomable amount of time chasing down ###### errors and things as my computer started to fall behind. About 4 years ago, I told my fiancee - "CAD was my tool into this industry, but I can't keep up". I left engineering for a career as a sitework PM. There are days I miss CAD (and I have Carlson on my work desktop now, if I need to draw something or do a takeoff), but I absolutely don't miss the frustration.

CAD is a young kid's game now - their constant updates and the quest to include everything for every designer (as well as it's exorbitant cost) has turned into a nightmare and will lead to their demise.

The ribbons are so effing slow.***

Oct 24, 2018, 2:03 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

LOL at not typing in the commands with left hand while

Oct 24, 2018, 2:45 PM

using mouse with right.

Gotta learn to use your fingers, wife will appreciate it too.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^THIS***

Oct 24, 2018, 2:46 PM

Also THIS

Oct 24, 2018, 2:56 PM [ in reply to LOL at not typing in the commands with left hand while ]

Was still switching to the old interface that I used on ACAD 12 and 13

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

EXACTLY

Oct 24, 2018, 3:01 PM [ in reply to LOL at not typing in the commands with left hand while ]

I close all the ribbons and have very few icons...

GO TIGERS!!

Psh, layers, text styles, leader styles, etc.

Oct 24, 2018, 3:34 PM [ in reply to LOL at not typing in the commands with left hand while ]

You still need a lot of GUI.

For most of the actual drafting, yes, keyboard shortcuts, I have to always remember to copy over my keyboard shortcut overrides.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic