Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A profoundly bad idea...sell Nuclear Plants to Saudi's
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 822

A profoundly bad idea...sell Nuclear Plants to Saudi's

Feb 19, 2019, 12:54 PM

'Top Trump appointees promoted selling nuclear power plants to Saudi Arabia over objections from national security officials, House Democratic report says"

"The officials who objected included White House lawyers and H.R. McMaster, then the chief of the National Security Council. They called for a halt in the nuclear sales discussions in 2017, citing potential conflicts of interest, national security risks and legal hurdles.

Yet the effort to promote nuclear sales persisted, led by retired Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn, who served briefly as President Trump’s national security adviser, and more recently by Energy Secretary Rick Perry. The possible nuclear power sale was discussed in the Oval Office as recently as last week."

..."The Cummings report notes that one of the power plant manufacturers that could benefit from a nuclear deal, Westinghouse Electric, is a subsidiary of Brookfield Asset Management, the company that provided financial relief to the family of Jared Kushner, the president’s son-in-law and adviser. Brookfield Asset Management took a 99-year lease on the family’s deeply indebted New York City,property at 666 Fifth Avenue."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/top-trump-appointees-promoted-selling-nuclear-power-plants-to-saudi-arabia-over-objections-from-national-security-officials-house-democratic-report-says/2019/02/19/6a719762-3456-11e9-af5b-b51b7ff322e9_story.html?utm_term=.5c9134cacc0c

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe they could sell the SCANA half built plant.

Feb 19, 2019, 12:59 PM

And give the State back the billions they invested.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Re: Maybe they could sell the SCANA half built plant.

Feb 19, 2019, 1:02 PM

wilbur82® said:

And give the State back the billions they invested.

That was the worst deal in history, not sure why some of those guys didn't go to jail for that billion dollar fraud~!

Re: A profoundly bad idea...sell Nuclear Plants to Saudi's

Feb 19, 2019, 1:00 PM

By Nicholas Fandos
Feb. 19, 2019

WASHINGTON — House Democrats said on Tuesday they would begin a full-scale inquiry into White House involvement in a proposed venture to bring nuclear power facilities to Saudi Arabia, citing whistle-blower claims that administration officials disregarded warnings that potential conflicts of interest could put American security at risk.

In a 24-page report from the House Oversight and Reform Committee, the Democrats said their concerns centered around actions taken in the early weeks of the Trump administration to secure government backing for a plan to build a series of nuclear power plants across Saudi Arabia. But they said there was evidence as recently as last week that the White House was still considering the proposal.

Claims presented by whistle-blowers and White House documents obtained by the committee show that the company backing the nuclear plan, IP3 International, and allies in the White House were working so closely that the company sent a draft memo to Michael T. Flynn, Mr. Trump’s former national security adviser, to circulate just days after the inauguration. Mr. Flynn had worked on the plan for IP3 during the Trump campaign and transition, the Democrats said, and continued to advocate for it in the White House.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/19/us/politics/trump-saudi-arabia-nuclear-power.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

To be clear, this is about nuclear power,

Feb 19, 2019, 1:28 PM

not nuclear weapons.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: To be clear, this is about nuclear power,

Feb 19, 2019, 3:09 PM

not nuclear weapons.

You are correct. From which nuclear weapons can conceivably be made. Remember Iran, trying to make nuclear weapons? Remember Israel bombing the Iraq nuclear plant to prevent the same?

Nuclear power in any form doesn't need to be in the Middle East in my veiw.

Montgomery Burns approves.***

Feb 19, 2019, 2:06 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 19, 2019, 2:57 PM

Can't they just go through the Chinese if not us?

Feb 19, 2019, 3:05 PM

So that makes potential illegal conflicts of interest ok?

Feb 19, 2019, 3:44 PM

I don't know the details. I was just talking about the issue in a broad sense.

Feb 19, 2019, 3:52 PM

The story is the allegation that Trump administration officials were warned their actions were illegal and posed threats to national security and continued despite that.

Feb 19, 2019, 3:58 PM

The Saudis must have agreed to build a new Trump tower.

Feb 19, 2019, 7:26 PM [ in reply to Re: A profoundly bad idea...sell Nuclear Plants to Saudi's ]

CU17 said:

The story is the allegation that Trump administration officials were warned their actions were illegal and posed threats to national security and continued despite that.

They know that, they just prefer to argue the red herring. Security be ######, there is billions in this for the Trumps, Kushners, et al.

Or France.***

Feb 19, 2019, 3:36 PM [ in reply to Re: A profoundly bad idea...sell Nuclear Plants to Saudi's ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And France's***

Feb 19, 2019, 3:37 PM

GO TIGERS!!

Re: And France's***

Feb 19, 2019, 3:46 PM

I am sure the French know how to build them too.

We're the one's selling and building China's plants.***

Feb 19, 2019, 3:36 PM [ in reply to Re: A profoundly bad idea...sell Nuclear Plants to Saudi's ]

GO TIGERS!!

Re: We're the one's selling and building China's plants.***

Feb 19, 2019, 3:45 PM

I am sure China knows how to build one.

I would say that it is a bad idea

Feb 19, 2019, 3:21 PM

to provide nuclear technology to anyone, but the US universities are full of foreign graduate students studying nuclear engineering.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You are supposed to believe that Iran is the real terrorist

Feb 19, 2019, 7:51 PM

supporter. Saudi Arabia, we are told, is modernizing. They are turning the corner. Never mind the beheadings by the government continue. Never mind the money flowing to terrorists continue. Because of the petrodollar, you have to ignore all that and focus on the narrative.

Just ignore the fact Iran is mortal enemies with ISIS and Al Qaeda and actually fight them instead of co-opt them like we do. Also ignore the fact that Saudi Arabia (and their gulf brethren) actually bankroll Al Qaeda and friends. 9/11 highjackers came from where? But they think we are stupid enough to ignore facts and swallow propaganda... because if you don't ignore your history and swallow your propaganda... you are a "conspiracy nut."

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our government wants to keep from us Saudi's role in 9/11

Feb 19, 2019, 8:03 PM

because we have made a deal with the devil.

The petrodollar is a real thing guys. It's important. If it bothers you that we support the biggest supporter of terrorism in the world today... and you are not satisfied with the patronizing response from our government... then do something about it and dig deeper.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/07/30/graham.intel.report/

"As a result," it says, "the decision to classify this information makes it appear as if elements of the Bush administration desire to keep the role of Saudi Arabia in 9-11 private. This impression damages the credibility of the government in the eyes of the American people and also sends the wrong message to the abettors of the hijackers by implying that there will be no penalty for their complicity."

After citing alleged Saudi financial support for terrorism, the letter says, "Given these facts, protecting the Saudi regime by eliminating any public penalty for the support given to terrorists from within its borders would be a mistake. If we are to protect our national security, we must convince the Saudi regime to get tough on terror."

In addition, Republican Sen. Richard Shelby of Alabama, a co-chairman of the September 11 committee who has been an advocate of disclosing what is in the 28 pages, also has declined to sign the letter. He gave no reason.

Oh ok... well because I'm a freaking sheep, I'll just stop there and not wonder why or demand answers. I'll just trust an entity, that lies to us all the time, that they probably know better. That's what our founding fathers meant when they said vigilance is a prerequisite to liberty, right?

Re: You are supposed to believe that Iran is the real terrorist

Feb 19, 2019, 8:04 PM [ in reply to You are supposed to believe that Iran is the real terrorist ]

I think very few Americans trust Saudi Arabia. I think the prob with Iran to many is that certain leaders in Iran are often publicly saying, "Death to America!" at large rallies. They are openly hostile to the US with their rhetoric.

9/11 > chants of Death to America***

Feb 19, 2019, 8:06 PM

And....

Feb 19, 2019, 8:12 PM

In the wake of the 11 September 2001 attacks on the US, there were some tentative steps.

In Iran, vast crowds turned out on the streets and held candlelit vigils for the victims. Sixty-thousand spectators respected a minute's silence at Tehran's football stadium.

Taleban soldiers on the Iran border, 2001

Iran came close to a war with the Taleban
Some of Iran's leaders also sensed an opportunity. America quickly fixed its sights on the Taleban in Afghanistan with whom the Iranians had nearly come to war just three years earlier.

With a common enemy in the Taleban, the two found grounds to co-operate.

After the Afghan war, US negotiators worked closely with Iranian counterparts to form a new Afghan government.

Some of the talks between US and Iranian officials moved beyond Afghanistan and there was hope that it could lead to tentative re-engagement and eventually a restoration of relations.

But back in their respective capitals, there were voices of dissent.

Debates in Washington and Tehran paralleled each other. Hardliners and moderates clashed about whether it was worth talking to the other side and whether it could ever be trusted.

Parade of Shahab-3 missile in front of a picture of the Iranian late revolutionary founder Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, 22 September

US-Iran relations timeline
Hardliners in Iran, scarred by the past, cited Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini's dictum that any friendship between the US and Iran was like that between a wolf and a sheep.

And just a few weeks after Iran and the US had worked so closely over Afghanistan, Iran was described by President George W Bush as part of an "axis of evil" in his 2002 State of the Union address.

Javad Zarif, now Iran's ambassador to the United Nations, said this was a big surprise after the co-operation over the Afghan government.

"We were all shocked by the fact that the US had such a short memory and was so ungrateful about what had happened just a month ago," he said.

But the hardliners in Washington had been bolstered by Israel's discovery just a few weeks before the speech of a consignment of arms alleged to be heading from Iran to Palestinian groups.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/5377914.stm

So... Israel lobby (And Saudi Arabia behind the scenes) made sure that we could not be friends because it is against THEIR interests.

Re: And....

Feb 19, 2019, 8:16 PM

Iranian people are supposedly great. Did you ever see this? I enjoyed this segment back in the day.

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/ll00sk/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-jason-jones--behind-the-veil---minarets-of-menace

I love that. Here's this too.

Feb 19, 2019, 8:20 PM

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x58d4cc

Re: I love that. Here's this too.

Feb 19, 2019, 8:29 PM

I had watched that one before. Yeah that's a really good episode. That's the one with the later jailed reporter Jason Rezaian in it.

Re: 9/11 > chants of Death to America***

Feb 19, 2019, 8:13 PM [ in reply to 9/11 > chants of Death to America*** ]

Of course, but there is some ambiguity when it comes to the Royal family's direct involvement.

Yes, thanks to our government censoring us.

Feb 19, 2019, 8:17 PM

That's the point.

And think about what we are saying here. Like... this is crazy right? We want to hammer Trump to the wall for maybe meeting with Russians about getting dirt on Hillary... but we are not really worried about direct connections between influential Saudis connected to their government and the murder of thousands of Americans on 9/11?

Am I being retarded or is that completely insane?

Re: Yes, thanks to our government censoring us.

Feb 19, 2019, 8:25 PM

We would be guessing about whether the Saudi Royal family was directly involved. My guess is they weren't. Who knows though?

We know they are directly involved funding terrorism.

Feb 19, 2019, 8:27 PM

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/projects/documents/evidence-of-financial-links-between-saudi-royal-family-and-al-qaeda

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/barack-obama-urged-to-declassify-report-detailing-links-between-911-and-saudi-arabia-a6980771.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3551863/Rudy-Giuliani-suggests-Saudi-Arabia-involved-9-11-attacks-reveals-offered-10MILLION-prince-Obama-cozies-King-Salman-trip-Middle-East.html

Ask yourself, if they are willing to let that public... what are they redacting?

Re: We know they are directly involved funding terrorism.

Feb 19, 2019, 8:30 PM

I always wonder what they are redacting. Something is fishy. We just don't know exactly what it is.

The evidence that we are aware of points in one direction.***

Feb 19, 2019, 8:32 PM

Link

Feb 19, 2019, 8:33 PM

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/04/saudi-arabia-911-lawyer-214996

Re: Link

Feb 19, 2019, 8:41 PM

I have read much of that before as well as seen it talked about on various networks. That's a good article though. In the end, we, the public, just don't know precisely what the Saudi Royal Family's connection is. I would love to know.

Plot twist: we’re sending SCANA to build it***

Feb 19, 2019, 9:02 PM

Replies: 35
| visibility 822
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic