Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
48 games into the season, did we really not know the
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 2,809

48 games into the season, did we really not know the

May 8, 2018, 10:50 AM

intentional walk rule?

I'm still confused as to what happened. On the radio, they assumed that since we were told that we had to pitch to the guy, we decided no to intentionally walk him.

I'm not buying it. There's no chance that Monte Lee got the intentional walk rule confused 48 games into the season.

Does anyone know what happened?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I posted about it last night and got no answers...

May 8, 2018, 10:55 AM

...davidhood® can you enlighten us?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

Re: I posted about it last night and got no answers...

May 8, 2018, 11:03 AM

The only thing that even makes a little bit of sense... and even this is a stretch... is that we told the ump we were gonna intentionally walk him, and so the ump had a brain fart and told him to go ahead to first base.

After realizing he screwed up, the ump says my bad, you have to pitch to him. And then Monte, for whatever reason, changes his mind and decides to pitch to him.

Which I really don't understand why we pitched to him with an open base. But whatever it worked out.

May 8, 2018, 11:10 AM

I think either decision would’ve been logical.
Avoid a hot Raleigh and load the bases for Mendoza who is a big time double play candidate.
Or don’t load the bases with 1 out leaving higginbotham with no room for error which he needs due to his wildness sometimes

May 8, 2018, 11:12 AM [ in reply to Re: I posted about it last night and got no answers... ]

For me what made it smart was the way they pitched to him.
Fastball way outside
Curveball strike
Fastball way outside
Curveball strike

Then he eventually struck him out but they didn’t give him anything good to hit at all and still got a 2 strike count on him. Unfortunately Kyle had a pass ball BUT got it back by getting on base for beers bomb

Re: 48 games into the season, did we really not know the

May 8, 2018, 11:07 AM

Here’s what I think happened. Monte wanted to put him on at first without throwing a pitch. During the umpires group discussion they determined you have to throw the 4 balls. I think during that discussion monte has time to think about it and had a change of heart and decided to pitch to Raleigh instead of walk him. Just a guess but since we ended up pitching to him it’s probably accurate.

There's no way Monte doesn't know the walk rule

May 8, 2018, 11:19 AM

48 games into the season.

Re: There's no way Monte doesn't know the walk rule

May 8, 2018, 11:24 AM

Excuse me wilkie or the umpire made the mistake I think

May 8, 2018, 11:37 AM

how the he!! did wilkie make a mistake.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think he's referencing the passed ball that scored a run***

May 8, 2018, 11:38 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 8, 2018, 1:31 PM [ in reply to Re: There's no way Monte doesn't know the walk rule ]

Someone made the mistake. If it wasn't monte it was wilkie or the umpires. I saw wilkie turn say something to the umpire and point to first. Idk what he was saying but it looked like he couldve been telling the umpire that we want to put the runner on

May 8, 2018, 1:32 PM [ in reply to Re: There's no way Monte doesn't know the walk rule ]

Honestly deroberts who gives a ####????? We won and it's completely irrelevant.

Yeah, I'm thinking it went like this

May 8, 2018, 11:38 AM [ in reply to There's no way Monte doesn't know the walk rule ]

Monte : Signals to pitcher/catcher to give him the old "unintentional intentional" walk. Pitch him outside and see if you can get an early strike on a swing on an unhittable ball.

Catcher/Pitcher : get signal and signal to each other or somehow make a gesture that the ump somehow interprets as a MLB style "let him walk" signal

Ump : makes the call for him to go to first. The reason I think the ump is at fault is that he *had* to be confused to allow it to occur in the first place. I suppose our players/coach could've been confused as well, but the ump CERTAINLY was.

Mike Martin : "What? you can't do that" (picture this said VERY slowly as he walked his turtle-paced self to the ump)

Ump : "Oh yeah, nevermind, you have to bat"

Monte/Players : "We were wondering what the heck was happening"

Monte : Pitch him outside on pitch 1, and then see if you can get a pitch 2 strike on an offspeed pitch.

I'm like you, I can't imagine Monte didn't know the rules, and it sure looked like all of the players were wondering what the heck was happening. I blame the ump primarily.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 8, 2018, 11:36 AM [ in reply to Re: 48 games into the season, did we really not know the ]

just talked to a buddy that is actually a college ump. he said in college you still have to throw the 4 balls. he could not imagine the home plate guy not knowing that. said he would probably get a good talking to by his superiors.

May 8, 2018, 12:23 PM

He should get more than that. The entire crew stunk it up all weekend. It was bush league. Also, while I'm being an asshat. I DO NOT LIKE the earpeace for the catcher. Catcher has enough to deal with without someone barking in his ear.

May 8, 2018, 1:02 PM

NO ONE IS BARKING IN HIS EAR. COACH SEE IS SENDING HIM THE PITCH HE WANTS THROWN. AINT LIKE THEY ARE CARRYING ON A CONVERSATION. SPEEDS THE GAME UP. WISH EVERYONE DID IT. KINDA LIKE THE OUTFIELDERS HAVE THE CARD ON WHERE TO LINE UP FOR EVERY BATTER. SAVES TIME FOR THE COACHES HAVING TO SITUATE THEM WHERE THEY WANT.

I don't. What is it?

May 8, 2018, 12:11 PM

Do you throw the pitches or not?

But, one day, just for giggles, I'd like to see a batter wait until there are 3 balls, and then swing at the next 2 just so the pitcher has to throw 6 balls instead of 4.

And if that happened, I suppose the appropriate response from the pitcher would be to put ball 4 very close to the batter's ear hole.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't. What is it?

May 8, 2018, 1:13 PM

Umps apparently would frown on a close to the head pitch... You notice how 'ol Snuffy Smiff jumped out and walked the batter half way to first when the FSU batter got tagged on the back of his CALF? Sheesh...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 17
| visibility 2,809
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic