Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Good place to stay for reasonable cost at Clemson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Good place to stay for reasonable cost at Clemson

Aug 18, 2016, 7:33 PM

Taking my Kids to their first Game at Clemson for the SC State Game. It being at Noon looking for a good place to stay near Stadium. Seems to be a popular weekend. Our other option is Greenville. Thanks.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Good place to stay for reasonable cost at Clemson

Aug 18, 2016, 7:36 PM

Clemson is very limited and overpriced. Greenville is a good bet with lots of choices.

Aug 18, 2016, 7:36 PM

Clemson is very limited and overpriced. Greenville is a good bet with lots of choices.

Aug 19, 2016, 7:52 AM

I wouldn't call it overpriced if every room in town fills up. Supply and demand, brother

Aug 18, 2016, 7:38 PM

For the SC State game you may find something reasonable in Easley or Anderson. But not for big games. Greenville for the big games for sure.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 18, 2016, 7:39 PM

There was a study last year and Clemson has some of the highest hotel rates on football weekends in the country. Lucky to get anything under $250 in Clemson, you can go to Greenville and get a good room for under $100. Anderson is a little less expensive also.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Try College Station TX

Aug 18, 2016, 8:05 PM

Paid $300 a night 2 night minimum the crappiest stinkiest Hampton Inn i have ever seen.

Aug 18, 2016, 8:09 PM

Anderson probably your best bet ** Lots of options around I85

Aug 18, 2016, 8:26 PM

Game weekends they charge $250 plus for what amounts to a $60 room..... And 60 is giving it the benefit of a doubt

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Aug 19, 2016, 12:00 AM

For the life of me, I don't understand how we can drop $2B on an athletic facility but in all the years since I graduated, no developers have come in to build a single, worthwhile hotel. It's ridiculous.

2 reasons

Aug 19, 2016, 6:56 AM

First is you cannot sustain a Hotel off of 7 games and a little here and there from other events, it takes a lot of overhead to run 365 days a year.
Second is that it's so close to the mountains that most people have arrangements either to stay on lake cabins, RV's or nearby in the hills.
That said, Clemson has grown so much not just the school but surrounding areas that I imagine it won't be long before it's feasible

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 2 reasons

Aug 19, 2016, 7:37 AM

I hear what you're saying but bottom line, and economically-speaking, none of the hotels within a 25-minute drive of Clemson are worth $250/night. Similarly, none of the houses listed for rent on Airbnb / VRBO are jusfiably worth the outrageous $1000+ per night with "2-day minimum stay", etc.

So if a $60 crap room at one of those local "hotels" is going for $250+ per night, it's basically a case study for supply vs. demand, where demand is obviously winning by a long-shot. One of my only complaints about Clemson when I was there was trying to find accommodations for family / friends during visits without being embarrassed, and that was 20 years ago. Fast forward to today, there's a parking garage where my downtown apartment used to be (so they're making room for cars) but no new hotels, bed & breakfasts, etc. The way it's set up right now, you could literally open a 4-star hotel in Clemson, charge $450/night and people would gladly pay it. My parents weren't happy about having to stay in Greenville or Atlanta back in 1996 after a 4-hour plane ride and I'm sure parents today are just as unhappy. If they can build parking garages and parking lots everywhere, certainly someone should consider building a worthwhile hotel closer to campus than Greenville.

Aug 19, 2016, 8:11 AM

They aren't building parking garages and parking lots everywhere. They are building student housing everywhere. Tell you what, why don't you rent an apartment in Clemson for the year, then you have a place to stay for football weekends. Campus view downtown is only $800/month/room with parking, but you'll have 3 roommates. There are a few cheaper options...

See how ridiculous that sounds? That's what you are asking a hotel to do, basically sit empty most of the year and then not make any of it up for football weekends. If they were overpriced, they'd be empty.

Also there are some really nice homes on Keowee that rent for a few hundred to maybe a grand for the weekend for Friday through Sunday, and they are totally worth that. Heck they rent for more $/day during the summer months.

TigerXJ
Clemson University Class of 2007
UNC-CH SOM Class of 2011
Life's Journey is not to arrive at the Grave Safely in a Well Preserved Body. But Rather to Launch Airborne, Land Hard, Slide in Sideways, Totally Worn Out and Thrashed, Screaming "Holy Shit What a Ride!!!"

Aug 19, 2016, 8:33 AM

Clemson doesn't only have visitors during football games, come on. And just because Aspen, CO is a ski-town, do all the hotel owners go bankrupt in the summer? No. All I'm saying is there is a shortage of quality accommodations in Clemson, something quite obvious to anyone who's visited or gone / goes to school there.

And Clemson University’s parking and transportation services were cited by the Carolinas Parking Association in 2015 receiving the Award of Excellence for most innovative, effective and efficient operations. They installed 4500+ sensors and use smartphone apps to tell people where spaces are available. The city-owned parking garage on Sloan street that accommodates 300 cars was where my apartment was. So don't say they aren't making strides to at least try and correct the ever-present parking issue in Clemson. Heck, they even have a system set up where residents can rent their parking passes on game days. If you're trying to accommodate the cars, it's essential you also try to accommodate the people driving in them. Having 100,000 fans visit town, most of which start drinking at 9am (it hasn't been so long that I've forgotten what game days are like), and then sending them off one hour in every direction because there's nowhere to stay locally is not a great idea from a university standpoint. Not even sure why I'm arguing this point. It's simple supply and demand, and supply is far behind, period.

You could try Seneca. Have found decent priced room there

Aug 19, 2016, 6:48 AM

in the past. Not going to find anything reasonably priced in Clemson for any game, nor any vacancies for bigger games. Good luck!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We have stayed here before

Aug 19, 2016, 7:01 AM

http://nfbofsc.org/rbrccb/

Up in the mountains near Table Rock, easy in and out of Clemson through Six Mile.

Rooms are inexpensive, setting is awesome.

Get a campsite!

Aug 19, 2016, 8:17 AM

Coneross comes to mind but there might be something even closer. Fun weekend camping, close to Clemson, and cheap!

room reservations go fast in February

Aug 19, 2016, 8:23 AM

the day the schedule is announced.

According to the direction you come from, try Greenville or Lavonia, Ga.
Or you could bring a tent or camper and go to a campground on one of the lakes.

Lake Jocassee - Devil's Fork is probably the prettiest spot in the whole state of SC.

http://southcarolinaparks.reserveamerica.com/camping/devils-fork/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=SC&parkId=10371

Shhhh!

Aug 19, 2016, 8:48 AM

You're giving away the secrets... now I won't be able to get a campsite either. ;)

I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks; but I do fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times. - Bruce Lee

Good luck with that !

Aug 19, 2016, 8:41 AM

Clemson on a Football weekend ? No such thing as a "reasonable" cost Hotel .... As others say, Greenville NORTH is your best bet ... places close to Airport and point North from there .... stayed at a Marriott few times off I-85 just north of Greenville, that was always a good compromise

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic