Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If you could have one person from the field of 2016 today
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 574

If you could have one person from the field of 2016 today

Apr 10, 2019, 8:52 AM

As president, who would it be and why? Anyone from the entire field of who actually ran.

I think I'd go with John Kasich. Seemed to me to be the most reasonable and moderate of any of the R vs. D field. And had real executive leadership. After that, maybe Rubio as a distant second.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Jim Webb

Apr 10, 2019, 8:57 AM

Pragmatic and strong. Saw the sham that was the Clinton Cabel and said as much. Not afraid to call out Neo-Con military adventurism, yet understands the need for prudent military enforcement of our interests.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

sounds like Trump***

Apr 10, 2019, 9:22 AM

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

Was billed as running in the wrong primary, though***

Apr 10, 2019, 1:24 PM [ in reply to Jim Webb ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jindal.....maybe Walker.

Apr 10, 2019, 9:00 AM

I like Rand overall but I wish he were more pragmatic—-he always picks the strangest hills to die on.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And I will say this also.....

Apr 10, 2019, 9:14 AM

Any of those individuals would have undoubtedly had a more harmonious time in office than Trump has, but I seriously doubt they would have gotten any more things accomplished that matter to me than Trump has.

They probably would have gotten the congressional support needed for the Health care reform bill to actually pass, so that would have been nice.

Trump has been a letdown on immigration enforcement and reform, but I see any other candidate just kicking that can down the road as well.

I don’t see anyone else pushing the tax reforms and business deregulations that have positively impacted me.

You can take any Pub in the field except Rand (and include Hillary on the list ), and I’d wager we would have entered into a new military conflict or doubled down on an existing one.

On the lib side, I don’t see the jail sentencing reform happening under any candidate, dem or pub—-that sort of came out of left field.

So bottom line, I definitely would have liked other candidates better on a personal level, but I’m not sure what they would have done for me realistically any more than has been done.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

whats wrong with obummacare? It's great...a gamechanger

Apr 10, 2019, 9:24 AM

$3000 savings per family...shall I go on?

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

Interesting. I was going to say Rand Paul myself.

Apr 10, 2019, 9:29 AM [ in reply to Jindal.....maybe Walker. ]

I don’t think you’re wrong on your criticism but he is principled and I think we need that. I have also been impressed with his approach with Trump. He doesn’t give him a free pass but he didn’t take his ball and go home.

Rand is one of the very few fiscal conservatives in DC and I’m tired of the lip service.

null

Both he and his father are rare breeds of fiscal cons

Apr 10, 2019, 9:36 AM

At least by today's standards. I always liked how his father refused to vote for Congressional pay raises.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

This is a great example of what @obed was talking about

Apr 10, 2019, 1:26 PM

It's a purely symbolic gesture that appeals to the most cynical people.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

refusing to vote for Congressional pay raises is cynical?

Apr 10, 2019, 1:44 PM

Please explain

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wish more of them would embrace that cynicism.***

Apr 10, 2019, 3:06 PM

Because it's not a big deal

Apr 10, 2019, 5:43 PM [ in reply to refusing to vote for Congressional pay raises is cynical? ]

It's entirely about symbolism, and does nothing to actually address problems with the budget. It gets people like yourself who think having a cafeteria is a special "perk" for Congress to cheer because it looks like something is being taken away from the "privileged" in Congress, who you hate. Meanwhile, it's a more than minuscule part of overall spending.

You don't think symbolism is important?

Apr 11, 2019, 1:57 PM

Tell that to someone who is unemployed. "Hey..Congress just got a raise..during an economic downturn". People who for the most part are already millionaires, have untouchable healthcare and a pension, get a raise.

It doesn't matter of its its $.10/hour. It further alienates those they are sworn to represent, and fosters an "us vs them" attitude.

If that's "simple" to you, you are as arrogant and out of touch with reality as congress is.

Same here...he is a true fiscal conservative...

Apr 10, 2019, 9:47 AM

with a proven track record and Federal and state level. Plus, he's not full of sheet.

I don't align with him on every single issue, but would take him any day as POTUS.

Rand Paul. I don't agree with all of his platform, but

Apr 10, 2019, 10:11 AM

his views rarely seem politically motivated or egotistical - he genuinely wants to do what's best for the country, so he's more apt to reach across the aisle than anyone else...

That's who I voted for - write in.

Apr 10, 2019, 10:22 AM

He is a conservative, but not to the degree that he just says "no" to any spending idea nor wants to cut spending indiscriminately. And his experience is a big plus. And like Rand Paul also mentioned in this thread, I think they both act on principal and for what they see as being good for the country.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Any of Rubio, Fiorina, Christie, Walker, Jindal, Bush...

Apr 10, 2019, 1:23 PM

and maybe Kasich could've been pretty good. Kasich overly relished the whole "moderate alternative" thing, to the point where it seemed like he was actually compromising his own principles just to look different. He also may have allowed Trump to win by staying in too long.

I don't think Cruz would've been terrible, especially on policy. I just don't care for the way he likes to throw bombs sometimes.

The best overall candidate was Rubio.

Frankly, it's sad to look back at that field from 2016 and to know what we ended up with.

Message was edited by: camcgee®

Rand Paul***

Apr 10, 2019, 1:42 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ted Cruz. He was #2 behind Trump

Apr 10, 2019, 5:59 PM

Yet he's never mentioned. If there were no Trump in the race it would have been Cruz vs. Hillary.

As for why? Well, he's a conservative and knows why, and can explain why. That's better than 3/4 of the GOP field...including Trump.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Kasich or "low energy" Jeb

Apr 11, 2019, 1:05 PM

Its the throwback to to a kinder / gentler GOP from yesteryear thing for me.

"Little" Marco has grown on me as well though in 2016 I wan't that much of a fan.

Rand Paul. Dramatically cut the deficit and the power of the

Apr 11, 2019, 2:07 PM

federal government, and bring home troops.

Duh.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 21
| visibility 574
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic