Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
REMEMBRANCES FROM LONG AGO...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

REMEMBRANCES FROM LONG AGO...

Nov 22, 2013, 7:44 AM

Clemson was 4-4 and one, and South Carolina was 1-7 and one prior to their rivalry game, scheduled for Saturday, November 23, in Columbia at Carolina Stadium. It would be the fourth home and home game played since the end of the Big Thursday games.

We had a young President, who was a football afficiando, having played wide receiver on the JV team at Harvard. Being a Naval Officer in World War II., he liked to attend the Army-Navy games and was scheduled to do so on the 30th. The public, also, had seen numerous photos of the wild, raucous touch football games played by his family on the vast lawn in Hyannisport. And on Friday, November 22, 1963, he and his lovely, young wife were in Texas.

I don't recall much about my early morning classes that Friday as a junior at Rock Hill High School, but I do remember our history teacher, Mrs. Grace McCleave, being called to the office. Returning, she appeared ashen and shaken. When a girl asked if there was a problem, Mrs. McCleave said, "Mr. Godbold (our principal) told several of us that the President has been shot." There was an audible gasp from the class.

Shortly, when the class bell rang, I ran upstairs to my French class, for I knew we had one of the few TV's in the school, and related the news to our teacher, Mrs. Carolyn Connelly. Quickly turning on the TV, the first scenes were of Parkland Memorial Hospital, and we gazed in confusion and disbelief at the eerie scenes.

Then, suddenly as the story had unfolded, Walter Cronkite appeared in the CBS newsroom and uttered the news, "The President is dead (sic.)" We placed our heads on our desks...and wept.

School was released early that day, and I literally ran the nearly half-mile home. My Mother, a housewife and who had been attending to chores, had not heard the news, and she rushed quickly to the TV. I can remember to this day her repeating through her tears, "I can't believe this is happening. I can't believe it happened in Texas." I understood, for she was a native of south Texas and fiercely proud of her heritage.

We watched TV news through the funeral, and I, also, witnessed the shooting of Lee Harvey Oswald by Jack Ruby, which got me into some trouble. Immediately, I jumped and yelled, "Good! They got that son of a b....!" Upon which my Mother dashed into the den and chastised me for swearing. She was stunned again at this news.

I remember crying twice during that fateful weekend...the second time being when little John Kennedy, Jr. saluted his Father's casket. In fact a lot of people shed tears during that time, as the nation mourned.

Clemson and South Carolina postponed their game until Thanksgiving Day on November 28, and Clemson won 24-20. The next year the game would return to Clemson, and so it has continued home and home all these years.

As I reflect, the poignancy of the moment of that time lends to the surreal settings, for it was such a long time ago, when in the salad days of my youth, life was less complicated and seemingly, easier. However, still to this day, 50 years hence, the words glide softly, "Sleep well, young prince, sleep well."

Harry Tinsley
...as I recall those events....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great story Harry! About time you put something on here

Nov 22, 2013, 7:57 AM

worth reading ;)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Never got the rest of them...***

Nov 22, 2013, 7:59 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: REMEMBRANCES FROM LONG AGO...

Nov 22, 2013, 8:01 AM

similar memories except when Oswald got it we were so shocked no one said anything for a few minutes then it was --did you see that?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Remember that day and those immediately following

Nov 22, 2013, 8:10 AM

as though they occurred yesterday. I was in the sixth grade. My grandfather who lived on the farm with us had died a month earlier. I was bewildered when Mr. Nelson announced on the school intercom that the president had been shot. Did not know he had died until I got home. Seeing Oswald killed on live tv was an extraordinary event in my life. The president's funeral is etched in my memory forever. A few months ago on vacation half way around the world, I turned on tv. A documentary of that day in Dallas was being shown. It lasted a few hours. Instead of touring the country in which I was visiting that day, I stayed in my room and watched.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks for that sharing that hartins***

Nov 22, 2013, 8:25 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Nov 22, 2013, 8:47 AM

Yea, and the biggest tragedy of all was the fact that a commie like LBJ took over and began the first real "fundamental transformation" of our once great country. He got is into 'Nam and refused to do what it took to win (thanks a lot UN & BS rules of engagement) and he gave us many of the welfare programs that have now bankrupted this country. So yes, JFK's assassination was terrible, and not just for the obvious reason.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why would somebody TD this story? Do you not have any

Nov 22, 2013, 8:53 AM

sense as to what a tragedy this was for America? I wasn't born (1968) yet but it still bothers me that someone would kill our President. Hartins, I enjoyed reading your story. Thanks for sharing.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wondered that too. Guess we have a few

Nov 22, 2013, 8:56 AM

dooshbags on this site. I mean, other than GWPTiger and lbu.

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: I wondered that too. Guess we have a few

Nov 22, 2013, 10:27 AM

Dont forget yourself! :)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Been away most of the day, but thanks for your remarks.

Nov 22, 2013, 7:04 PM [ in reply to Why would somebody TD this story? Do you not have any ]

I don't worry about points, TD's or TU's, because I believe each person is entitled to his opinion, and mine aren't necessarily any better than another's.

My post was merely a reflection of personal experiences to a national tragedy, much as most of us were to the horrors of 9-ll. Perhaps, in 2051, some of you will post your remembrances of that fateful day, when many of us will no longer be around to share ours.

Our younger folks know only what they have studied, heard or seen on TV about the Kennedy assassination, so I thought they might be interested in recollections from an older brethren. However, I take no offense to anyone who might disagree.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Rememberences from this week...

Nov 22, 2013, 8:55 AM

http://www.sott.net/article/269027-Who-killed-Kennedy-CIA-LBJ-or-the-Truly-Unspeakable

Nov 22, 2013, 9:10 AM

hartins, thanks so much for the eloquent and poignant memories. Many of us were small children on that terrible weekend, and I suppose a lot of us unfortunately witnessed the first live murder on US television that Sunday after church.

Thanks for sharing hartins. What a tumultuous time it was.***

Nov 22, 2013, 10:48 AM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 22, 2013, 1:40 PM

I think everyone remembers where they were on that fateful day. I was in a lab in the Textile Building. I was a senior and it was my 1st wedding anniversary. Now today we celebrate our 51st anniversary and always remember what happened our special day.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks, hartins. I was

Nov 22, 2013, 2:27 PM

a 2nd Lt at Fort Benning, Georgia. We were glued to the TV all weekend. On Sunday, three battalions of officers were called to the parade ground and were read the "official" notification of the Commander-in-Chiefs death - an old Army tradition. Yep, the wife and I watched Oswald get shot on live TV - this was a stunning, wrenching three days.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thx much Harry...one of your best posts ever, even if so sad

Nov 22, 2013, 5:33 PM

RIP Mr. President.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wow "BengalBilly"..I took hour 2 read Conspiracy idea on JFK

Nov 22, 2013, 8:04 PM

assassination and possibility of it being planned or known by various different groups, like: 1. Lyndon Johnson 2. CIA 3. FBI 4. Jewish group..

and that Oswald was a pawn & Ruby was used to take him out as evidence.

Great read..and a bit upsetting too..since Kennedy's distrusted Johnson knowing he was a crook & had a personal hit man.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 22, 2013, 8:03 PM

Good words Harry, Earle Brown

Tigersam 59

Nov 22, 2013, 8:12 PM

I'll bet you know my dad.. We lived in the prefabs and my dad was in Textile. He was older than everyone else because he had been in the military and had worked in the Mills first. Charles Fousek?

Re: Tigersam 59

Nov 23, 2013, 5:04 PM

I'm sure I probably do, but right now I can't seem to place him.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic