Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Question about viewing football trophies:
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

Question about viewing football trophies:

Jul 13, 2018, 12:37 PM

I have made two unsuccessful attempts to enter the public area of the football center. Both times it was closed for very understandable and sensible reasons. But it has made me question a couple of things.

1.I went during spring break of 2017 on a special trip from Atlanta. I planned it to do some shopping and see the football operations center and trophies. It was just bad luck that, even though the football center had been completed and open for several months, they used spring break as an opportunity to close it and do some touch-up construction. A one time reason for closing.

2. I went during the spring game this past April, but the front lobby was closed because they had it set up for recruits and not open to the public. I assume this might also be the case during game weekends, since we will probably always have recruits attending games. THis will be the case quite often.

Questions:
1. When is the best time to visit the football operations center in which the front public lobby will be open? I remember as a boy visiting and Jervey was so easily accessible to view all of the heritage items like conference championship trophies, bowl trophies, national championship trophy, hall of fame athlete photos, etc.

2. To my knowledge, the only trophies on display in the front lobby of the Football Operations Center are the national championship trophies (love having to use plural there). Therefore, another question is, where are the man conference championship trophies, division trophies, Orange Bowl trophies, Fiesta Bowl, etc. on display? Are they in the bowels of the operations center where there is no public access? Are they in Dabo's office?

I know there was talk of a heritage museum at one time. I know n Athens, UGA has all of their trophies and such on display right in the fron lobby of Butts-Mehre. There is no way to miss them and it is always open. Where are all of ours? and is it a great idea to have a lobby for display in a building that will have to be closed often for recruiting functions. But the biggest question is if there is a place over there where all of the trophies are on display and if not, why not and where are they?

I love the National Championship Plaza and wish they would have something similar at the stadium where more people could see it in passing. I think the corner across the street from the Iptay building at the foot of the ramp that heads to upper deck, or the corner across from the northeast corner of the stadium going from the stadium to Fike, or across from the Southeast corner of the stadium at the lower lawn of the relatively new dorm that overlooks the stadium.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Question about viewing football trophies:

Jul 13, 2018, 12:49 PM

Can't answer your questions, but would like to add my thoughts. I also loved being able to visit all the trophies when they were in Jervey. Also, I love the level of recruiting, and don't question the coaches methods. I do, however feel that the average fans have been passed over in the past few years. Hopefully, someone with authority in the football program will remember those of us that bought season tickets when there was no chance for a bowl game.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 13, 2018, 1:27 PM

I thought they moved a lot of those trophies to the West end zone plaza. They still might not be easily accessible? I know my parents sit in that section and I thought they were over there before the new complex was complete. I also enjoyed the openness of Jervey.

Two separate locations would be better than not being able

Jul 13, 2018, 4:54 PM

to see them at all. Not sure if they are in West Plaza, but I hope they are somewhere visible. Maybe someone else can tell us if that is the case for sure. Thanks for your post.

Yes. Coots have to travel to Tuscaloosa to see their trophy***

Jul 13, 2018, 1:35 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All the football trophies use to be in

Jul 13, 2018, 5:01 PM

the lobby at Fike Fieldhouse. When we were kids back in the early 60s, we would sneak into Fike on Sundays after church and play basketball in the "Big" gym. which gave us access to the lobby upstairs.All the bowl trophies were in the lobby lining three of the walls.

Other than the ACC and Southern Conference Championships, there were the bowl trophies for the Cotton Bowl Classic win over BC, the Gator Bowl win over Missouri, the Orange Bowl win over Miami and the Bluebonnet win over the Horned Frogs.

I never thought much about them growing up because I had access to them at any time, now that the trophy family has grown, I sure would like to get another peak. Maybe this time I won't have to sneak through an open window!

Jul 13, 2018, 7:27 PM

I don’t know when is a good time to visit but the trophies are on display at various locations in the building - many are on a “balcony” (for lack of a better word) overlooking the dinning area. The CFP and crystal footballs are on display in the public area.

I wish they would have included a public area for the trophies though.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks, that's what I was afraid of. That means all of the

Jul 13, 2018, 11:07 PM

other trophies are in a place where the public can't appreciate them. Wow, Clemson does so many things right, but it is amazing how something that should be a no-brainer could be so screwed up. Wow, just wow. Thanks for your response.

Jul 13, 2018, 11:13 PM

One word , quick fix : Holograms

If we didn't want to see any trophies we would've become Coot fans .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Jul 14, 2018, 12:10 AM

I also visited the campus during the 2017 spring break after traveling from NC for a funeral in G'ville. The wife, also a grad, and I went to the Ops building hoping to get a look at the trophies, but the building was locked. Looked around a bit and started heading to the car to leave. Then happened to see another visitor stop to talk to Coach Bates who had just started toward the building after leaving his car. Went back and also talked some with him. He was very nice to answer a few questions and mention his impression of a couple of his players. Also had his young son with him. Subsequently had wondered about the availability of the trophies for public view.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Yes, the people that have been there to tell me the

Jul 14, 2018, 7:24 PM

building was closed were very nice. I think we ran into a couple of the coaches' wives outside the door the weekend of the Spring Game and they could not have been nicer.

I do think the availability of all the trophies for the public is something that needs to be addressed. Thanks for your reply.

Jul 14, 2018, 8:03 PM

Great questions here. How do "we" (the average Clemson fan) let our opinions be known? Or does it matter? Who would we tell? Seems that unless a lot of folks get behind this, nothing will happen.

Excellent points. I sure hope something will be done. Maybe

Jul 15, 2018, 11:06 AM

Hood or the people that organize Tigernet could get the word to them.

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic