Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Which QB Had the Best Deep Ball
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

Which QB Had the Best Deep Ball

Aug 17, 2019, 10:21 PM

A conversation with a buddy this afternoon brought up the discussion. His opinion was that Tajh had a better/more accurate deep ball than both Deshaun and Trevor Lawrence (at this point which left the door.open for Lawrence to develop into a better deep ball passer). So whats the oppinion of Tiger Net?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Would agree at this point

Aug 17, 2019, 10:22 PM

believe Trevor will probably be better before he leaves Clemson.

Re: Which QB Had the Best Deep Ball

Aug 17, 2019, 11:32 PM

From what I’ve seen, I think Trevor is way better than the other great QB’s we’ve had. Time will tell, but Trevor is just different. Tigers have been blessed, and it will last a long time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TB10 was throwing to a much better group of WR’s

Aug 17, 2019, 11:37 PM

Than DW4, especially when it comes to catching the deep ball. TB10 arm strength isn’t close to DW4 or TL16, it takes two to complete a pass and TB10 was throwing to much better WR.

Re: TB10 was throwing to a much better group of WR’s

Aug 18, 2019, 3:04 AM

rhettm said:

Than DW4, especially when it comes to catching the deep ball. TB10 arm strength isn’t close to DW4 or TL16, it takes two to complete a pass and TB10 was throwing to much better WR.

Make no mistake, DW4 is definitely one of the best QBs to come through Clemson.

However, TB10 was no slouch winging the ball downfield. He definitely wasn't far behind DW4 by much if at all in arm strength.

Clemson has been fortunate to have had some strong-arm dudes for a long time...like, other than Kelly Bryant, who was the last guy that wasn't known to have a solid strong arm as the starter?

Proctor in 08? Pretty sure Cullen Harper was even adequate despite his Senior year regression.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 18, 2019, 3:27 AM

Not Woody Dantzler....but he arguably had the best set of wheels for a Clemson QB though.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 18, 2019, 4:33 AM

Anybody who wouldn't agree that Woodrow Dantzler was Clemson's best running QB in it's history would need their figgerer calibrated .
I would put Woody in our top 5 RUNNING BACKS of all-time ... and he's without a single doubt the best QB ballcarrier this University has ever seen .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Aug 18, 2019, 6:47 AM

He’s right behind CJ,, Woodrow was incredible with the ball in his hands, almost magical at times.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Aug 18, 2019, 9:37 AM [ in reply to Re: TB10 was throwing to a much better group of WR’s ]

2000 vs UVA comes to mind. He had George Welsh pulling out the last of his hair on the sidelines. Heck, he even completed a pass to himself in that game.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 18, 2019, 8:46 AM [ in reply to Re: TB10 was throwing to a much better group of WR’s ]

Charlie Whitehurst threw a pretty good pass.

Aug 18, 2019, 8:46 AM [ in reply to Re: TB10 was throwing to a much better group of WR’s ]

Charlie Whitehurst threw a pretty good pass.

Proctor had a rag arm, it certainly wasn't him***

Aug 18, 2019, 11:06 AM [ in reply to Re: TB10 was throwing to a much better group of WR’s ]

Tajh would get a bit rattled sometimes and would get off

Aug 18, 2019, 6:53 AM [ in reply to TB10 was throwing to a much better group of WR’s ]

DW and TL both have ice in their veins. So far as a freshman TL is the best of the three. The last 4 games of last season, TL looked like the best ever at Clemson, but it was only 4 games.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Tajh would get a bit rattled sometimes and would get off

Aug 18, 2019, 7:35 AM

Trevor overthrew some wide open receivers with the true deep ball early in the season. I think he improved towards the end of the season, but at this point I say TB10. Yes he had great receivers but he kept air under the ball and mostly in bounds so they could go get it.

TB's group miiiight have been better, but it wasn't much

Aug 18, 2019, 11:10 AM [ in reply to TB10 was throwing to a much better group of WR’s ]

better...Big Mike, Hunter,Charone, DC, Ray Ray, Artavis are playing professionally too

Rodney Williams.

Aug 18, 2019, 7:41 AM

I think he went long once and it was perfect.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Rodney Williams.

Aug 18, 2019, 8:16 AM

I was all prepared to TD you for abject stupidity, but I found your poast was right on about old "I'm gonna jump up in the air and throw an interception now" Rodney. TU instead!

Rod Knee Rod Knee Rod Knee

Aug 18, 2019, 9:39 AM [ in reply to Rodney Williams. ]

good times for sure

I’ll take DW4

Aug 18, 2019, 8:59 AM

He was the best long ball thrower we have had his sophomore year. He didn’t have quite as many long balls his junior year iirc

Re: I’ll take DW4

Aug 18, 2019, 9:09 AM

I just can’t get DW4 first pass out of my mind ??

https://youtu.be/7ou_6nweow8

That’s what I’m talkin about

Aug 18, 2019, 11:54 AM

I don’t know if even TL will be able to thread the needle like DW4 @ 40+ yards

I didn't think Watson's deep ball was all that accurate in

Aug 18, 2019, 4:30 PM [ in reply to I’ll take DW4 ]

college. He wasn't a bad deep ball thrower, but i didn't think that was a big strength of his.

Re: I didn't think Watson's deep ball was all that accurate in

Aug 18, 2019, 4:44 PM

college. He wasn't a bad deep ball thrower, but i didn't think that was a big strength of his.

This. I think people get caught up in that if DW4 isn't the best in every passing attribute that it's disrespectful - which definitely isn't the case.

DW4 is a baller and definitely cemented as a Clemson legend. However, I don't immediately think DW4 when I think best deep ball throwers in Clemson history. (Granted I've been a true fan since 2006 when I was old enough to start keeping up with football stuff competently)

Definitely top 5 for Deep Ball (again, I haven't personally seen EVERY Clemson QB that started in the school's history). However, in almost every other category DW4 is at the top or no lower than top 3.

It was his sophomore year. His deep ball regressed Jr year***

Aug 18, 2019, 6:02 PM [ in reply to I didn't think Watson's deep ball was all that accurate in ]

Aug 18, 2019, 9:24 AM

Deep ball..close call on a few. Add most accurate. Jimmy Addison was
in the top 3 at least. He was after all .."THE NEEDLE".

Boyd threw a great deep ball. That and his short yardage

Aug 18, 2019, 12:23 PM

running ability were definitely his biggest strengths.

Aug 18, 2019, 2:13 PM

DW threw the most beautiful pass ever vs UNC his freshman year . It looked like he handed it off 50 yards down the field.

Aug 18, 2019, 5:00 PM

Do not buy at all. Deshaun played the best under pressure; Lawrence has better fundamentals and passing skill sets. Love some Tajh, but he would be in NFL if he could sniff the talent level of Watson and Lawrence.

Aug 18, 2019, 5:37 PM

Boyd's deep ball was actually very good imo, it was his intermediate stuff that he lacked in. I saw Sammy go up and catch a lot of high balls, but going deep was indeed his forte. I also thought DW4 threw the deep ball better early, and that his bulking up in the off-season might have hindered him just a smidge in early games. Just my opinion and he is still my Tiger QB 1 for life for who he was and how he played!

Aug 18, 2019, 5:37 PM

Boyd's deep ball was actually very good imo, it was his intermediate stuff that he lacked in. I saw Sammy go up and catch a lot of high balls, but going deep was indeed his forte. I also thought DW4 threw the deep ball better early, and that his bulking up in the off-season might have hindered him just a smidge in early games. Just my opinion and he is still my Tiger QB 1 for life for who he was and how he played!

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic