Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Potential problem.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

Potential problem.

Jan 14, 2019, 6:36 AM

I write this half jokingly and half in seriousness. Do we have a potential problem with recent teams on who to put in the Ring of Honor? It seems to water it down if you just put everyone in, but it seems to me that there are more deserving than we can really put in. Maybe time and reflection works it out, but who gets in and who falls short?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Ring of Honor is there to recognize greatness

Jan 14, 2019, 6:39 AM

There is no set #....greatness is greatness regardless of how many or in what time frame.

So, to answer your question, it is not a problem.

However, the standards of getting in are very high and I doubt you will see anyone from this era other than Dabo on there....at least as it stands right now. Certainly, a Heisman Trophy by TL would add him as well one day.

Other than that...not sure anyone from the Dabo era on will be a legit contender.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Ring of Honor is there to recognize greatness

Jan 14, 2019, 6:44 AM

"A recipient must first be a member of the Clemson Hall of Fame, earn at least an undergraduate degree, and make a significant contribution to the heritage of Tiger athletics."

I think we have a few that qualify, or will.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 14, 2019, 7:25 AM [ in reply to The Ring of Honor is there to recognize greatness ]

There is no set #....greatness is greatness regardless of how many or in what time frame.

So, to answer your question, it is not a problem.

However, the standards of getting in are very high and I doubt you will see anyone from this era other than Dabo on there....at least as it stands right now. Certainly, a Heisman Trophy by TL would add him as well one day.

Other than that...not sure anyone from the Dabo era on will be a legit contender.

You have unrealistic expectations if you dont think DW4 is a legit contender for the ring of honor.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Have you seen the names on that Ring of Honor?

Jan 15, 2019, 6:34 AM

There have been many, many great and exceptional football players at Clemson that are not in the Ring of Honor.

DW is a true champion....and is certainly worthy of consideration.

However, I don't think he would get in. Certainly not Hunter Renfro or Christian. That's not a knock at them or their careers.

But the ROH should be very exclusive....or it is just another honor.

As of January 15th, 2019....the only person from the Dabo Swinney era that I believe will one day be in the Ring of Honor is Dabo himself.

I could be proven wrong. But that is what I think.

Re: Have you seen the names on that Ring of Honor?

Jan 15, 2019, 9:34 AM

There are players in the ROH whose resumes pale in comparison to DW4. It almost seems like you're trying to take away recentcy bias to a fault. Further more to say that we don't have any ROH worthy players during the best era in our history is laughable.

How many players in our history can list these accomplishments:

2x Heisman Finalist
2x Davey O'Brien winner
2x Manning award winner
2x ACC Male Athlete of the year
2x ACC Championship MVP
Orange Bowl, Fiesta Bowl, and NCG MVP.
ACC Offensive and Overall POY
Consensensus first team All-American
Highest winning percentage of any starting QB, that has started at least a full season.
Owns almost every single season school passing record.
Most top 25 wins of any Clemson starting QB
First 4,000 yard passer and 1,000 yard rusher in NCAA history.
3 year college graduate

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Re: Have you seen the names on that Ring of Honor?

Jan 15, 2019, 9:44 AM

^^^ This ^^^ If DW4 doesn't make it, then they should just do away with it.
Because then it would just be a fraud anyway.

CU_Kobe_24® what I have is an opinion

Jan 15, 2019, 7:38 PM [ in reply to Re: Have you seen the names on that Ring of Honor? ]

It's value no more or less worthy of yours and certainly not "laughable".

I am aware of DW's accomplishments...they are amazing. And maybe my "recently" bias is real.

But it is my opinion....at this moment.

Jan 14, 2019, 7:28 AM [ in reply to The Ring of Honor is there to recognize greatness ]

Hunter Renfro is not a legitimate contender!

Jan 14, 2019, 7:46 AM [ in reply to The Ring of Honor is there to recognize greatness ]

If TL never graduates but wins the heisman and another natty, will they change the rules about having to get your degree to be considered.

No.***

Jan 14, 2019, 7:57 AM

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No.***

Jan 15, 2019, 6:35 AM [ in reply to Re: The Ring of Honor is there to recognize greatness ]

If C.J. Spiller does not get in, the ROH should be done away

Jan 14, 2019, 8:49 AM [ in reply to The Ring of Honor is there to recognize greatness ]

with.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

CJ is similar to DW. Deserves consideration, but

Jan 15, 2019, 6:37 AM

not worthy yet IMO.

Now...CJ is still around the program....so his legacy is still being played out. I suppose the same could be said of DW if he comes back to Clemson after the NFL.

CJ may become a "Jeff Davis" kind of guy for the program...and if so...he would be worthy just as Jeff Davis is.

But, based solely on the field play and his career while a player at Clemson, CJ is on the outside looking in for the ROH in my opinion.

Re: CJ is similar to DW. Deserves consideration, but

Jan 15, 2019, 7:18 AM

It’s not just about athletic accomplishments but how the person represents the university and service to community.

In my opinion without a doubt CJ, Deshaun, and CW42 are in. For goodness sake Christian won the academic and service Heisman, was a volunteer teacher for kids in the area, and earned 2 degrees from Clemson. Deshaun represented the state as the rep for Habitat for Humanity, won a natty, and graduated in 3 years. CJ started it all and is still very much around the community and program. He was the catalyst for all this.

In my opinion those 3 should be in. I think Bouleware is a fringe guy but probably better suited for HOF. Still too early for TLaw but he has all the athletic traits needed, just depends on how is leadership role expands. Just my 2 cents I guess.

Hold on.........

Jan 15, 2019, 7:27 AM [ in reply to CJ is similar to DW. Deserves consideration, but ]

You are saying DW4 is not worthy?

You have GOT to be kidding.

No, I'm not kidding

Jan 15, 2019, 7:36 AM

Do you realize how many people are in the Ring of Honor?

Do you realize how hard/long it took to get Danny up there?

We are 2 years removed from DW....best QB in Clemson history and has a Natty under his belt. He deserves consideration.

But, I don't think it is cut and dry. I'm taking the emotion out of it. I love DW....as many do. Same with CJ. But the ROH is a special, special place.

Since you seem to know, maybe you ought to post the exact

Jan 15, 2019, 11:11 AM

qualifications it takes to get into the Ring of Honor. I don't see how you could do much more than Spiller has. He constantly reps Clemson in a positive manner. He has donated money back to the school. He is the poster child, at least for me, for the way I want my university to be represented in public. He was an All American on the field. He was a first round draft choice in the NFL, AFTER coming back for his senior season, when 99% of players with his potential future would have left after his junior year. He is always around the program, doing whatever is asked of him to show Clemson to the world.

I don't know C.J. personally, and am not his advocate, but if the Ring of Honor is so exclusive that someone with his pedigree is left out, then it is way too Ivy League for my tastes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If I had to pick one player from THIS team

Jan 14, 2019, 9:05 AM [ in reply to The Ring of Honor is there to recognize greatness ]

Christian Wilkins.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

CJ, DW, and Wilkins are the no-brainers

Jan 14, 2019, 6:42 AM

Everyone else is either a notch below or doesn't qualify (no degree).

Re: CJ, DW, and Wilkins are the no-brainers

Jan 14, 2019, 7:28 AM

Hunter is a notch below. Go tell him that!

Ok..send him over to the house around 7 pm.

Jan 14, 2019, 7:49 AM

I'll tell him.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Having too many entries in the ROH is a problem?

Jan 14, 2019, 7:48 AM

Dood, that's life on the top.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Seriously. Our problem is that we have too many players

Jan 14, 2019, 7:56 AM

who meet the criteria for the highest honor in Clemson athletics. ??

null

Re: Having too many entries in the ROH is a problem?

Jan 14, 2019, 7:56 AM [ in reply to Having too many entries in the ROH is a problem? ]

CJ 28

BV and Dabo

DW 4, H Renfrow 13, B Boulware 10 and
99 67 90 42 7 in Power Ranger Colors!
No names needed! Saves space too.

So far...

Message was edited by: djones73

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 14, 2019, 8:12 AM

Since we can't retire every great player's number, I am mailing Dabo a letter today, suggesting that #13 jersey be awarded to the most deserving walk on receiver (or other position) to honor the spirit, determination, hard work and contributions of Hunter Renfrow.

If you would like to join me:

Clemson University Athletic Dept.
Jervey Athletic Center
P. O. Box 31
Clemson, SC 29633-0031

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 14, 2019, 9:28 AM

I’m in favor of establishing the Hunter Renfrow award. Given annually to the player that exhibits uncanny abilities with under the radar talent, has high character qualities, and goes about grinding it out with humility.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Totally agree***

Jan 15, 2019, 6:38 AM

Re: Potential problem.

Jan 14, 2019, 9:24 AM

The Oculus will choose. Rest easy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Potential problem.

Jan 14, 2019, 12:14 PM

I asked the question and then I got stuck doing something. I think that I have similar thoughts than many. From the "Dabo era", I think that you have to include Dabo (give him an honorary degree if we have to), Watson, and Wilkins. I think CJ Spiller would be in but I think that there might be some hesitation especially if Trevor and/or ETN put themselves in the conversation over the next year or two. The ones that I would love to see in but I think will fall short are Venables, Bouleware, Hyatt, and of course Renfrow.

It is certainly a nice problem to have and I think that it only gets worse. Ross, Higgins, Dixon and XT could certainly still insert their name into the conversation as well, and the recruiting is only getting better. I understand the "Best Is Yet to Come," but it is hard to believe that it can get even better.

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic