Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Looks like US Women’s World Cup team ....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

Looks like US Women’s World Cup team ....

Jun 17, 2019, 1:49 AM

.... is following Dabo’s philosophy of getting lots of players experience. In the second game vs Chile the coach held several starters out and played subs the whole game because giving “lots of players minutes is important for what’s coming”. Great planning !!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

As I might be the board aficionado about all things US soccer, both men and women

Jun 17, 2019, 3:26 AM

The move by Jill Ellis was knowing our third team could destroy Chile. Unfortunately, they can only bring 23 players to the World Cup, so it's the 2nd team that had to outclass the Chileans.

The 3rd team of the US women (left home) could win the World Cup. The lineup yesterday was giving everyone a chance to prove their impact. You'll see the original starting lineup against Thailand on the field against Sweden except for Julie Ertz as the CM, Becky Sauerbrunn as the other CB, and either Sam Mewis or Lindsey Horan being the LM.

Mark it down. Forwards: Rapinoe Morgan Heath. Mids: Mewis (or Horan) Ertz Lavelle. Back line: Dunn Sauerbrunn Dahlkemper O'Hara. Goalkeeper: Naeher.

That's the starting lineup baring injury.

As for the men, very few have established themselves as starters regardless of performance. The players who we conceive as locks have played little in the friendlies leading up to to the Gold Cup. Continuity is easily our biggest problem across the lines. Followed by depth and lack of talent.

Injuries to players who would start are mounting, and we're thin at every position, including the starting XI.

This is probably the starting XI:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.goal.com/en-us/amp/news/projecting-the-usmnt-gold-cup-lineup/1ii1u1oekhg4c1o296sep6z7r8

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: As I might be the board aficionado about all things US soccer, both men and women

Jun 17, 2019, 5:48 AM

Why .... in your obvious knowledge of this sport .... does our men have the suck and our women are a juggernaut ?
Why can't we have both ? In honor of the month ... can some of our womens play on the sorry mens team and cause improvements ?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Because our womens federation has unrivaled funding

Jun 17, 2019, 6:31 AM

Womens soccer in many countries is a huge mess.

Unfortunately, Tourette Syndrome awareness month ended...

Jun 17, 2019, 6:54 AM [ in reply to Re: As I might be the board aficionado about all things US soccer, both men and women ]

June 15, or I'd make a more colorful post.

In case you missed it, they'll likely still welcome your bountiful donation to this, not for your entertainment, malady.

https://tourette.org/about-us/5-ways-raise-awareness/

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Unfortunately, Tourette Syndrome awareness month ended...

Jun 17, 2019, 7:50 AM

Lol .
I haven't done my best with this post .
I've failed the TNets this morning and that's nearly impossible to do .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Tdug23, you're my horse even if you never win a race...

Jun 17, 2019, 8:00 AM

I hope your Monday treats you well. It's about a new week, new beginnings, putting old nonsense behind us...

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.”

Emerson, not of ELP, but Ralph Waldo

Re: Tdug23, you're my horse even if you never win a race...

Jun 17, 2019, 8:10 AM

Good morning good sir .
I have 3 days to go on a very long hitch , I'll be home in Charleston on Thursday .

That Emerson quote will guide me nicely until then .

DB23

You've got the tall ship, just in need of the right star...

Jun 17, 2019, 8:13 AM

I'm sure it'll bring you safely home.

Red right returns...

B/c every country's U-15 boys team could win the women's World Cup

Jun 17, 2019, 7:02 AM [ in reply to Re: As I might be the board aficionado about all things US soccer, both men and women ]

Somehow, men and women are different. I'm dumbfounded by the idea.

Here's a good barometer for the women's game: is the country you represent one of the freest and most empowering countries for women in the world? Well, than your women will be d@mn good at soccer.

As for the US men, you got me. Our best athletes play other sports is an argument, but it doesn't hold water with me. We're a nation that puts in the funding and has an extensive talent pool. I'd argue that at a youth level, we have talent on par with the rest of the world. The problem is that our youth go on to play high school soccer, which stunts their development. The rest of the world's top youth prospects sign professional contracts to their domestic club's developmental teams.

Also, US soccer scouting is a far cry from the dominant nations in the sport.

I think the other sport argument is pretty legit.

Jun 17, 2019, 12:08 PM

But it also goes hand in hand with another argument - soccer is like 4th or 5th fiddle in the US. Many kids never even play soccer because they focus their attention on football or basketball or baseball. That is a pretty big deal. Every child in Brazil grows up playing soccer and they aren't losing elite athletes to other sports. France and Spain might lose a few to basketball, but the vast majority are playing soccer.

We do still have a decent talent pool, but, as you touched on, youth soccer in the US has been a disaster for a long time. I think there are efforts being made right now to improve upon that, but it's going to take some time. I think more and more kids in the US are playing soccer now too.

Re: B/c every country's U-15 boys team could win the women's World Cup

Jun 17, 2019, 3:26 PM [ in reply to B/c every country's U-15 boys team could win the women's World Cup ]

What needs to happen is that the player pool in the USA is largely restricted to a bunch of rich dentist's kids...and the handful of genuinely talented kids (usually minorities) who somehow find a good situation in the 12-16-year-old range and find enough quality games, facilities support, and coaching on an affordable budget.

Pay-for-play rules in youth soccer. Basically you've got a bunch of grown men inserting themselves as middlemen into what should be the world's cheapest and most affordable game...and jacking the rates up to insanity. They conquer field space like it's a military campaign and squeeze the smaller, more affordable local clubs out.

CESA - Carolina Elite Soccer Academy - in Greenville is a prime example of this. Basically their director came across the pond from Ireland back in the day and installed himself the head of this youth club (which started as St. Giles soccer club) and through several iterations expanded itself into the Monster That Rules Upstate Soccer With An Iron Fist. Through merger with now-defunct clubs like Greenville Futbol they now control all the big parks - MESA, Wenwood, even Brushy Creek, and all their Academy/Travel teams cost...like, upwards of $2,000 a season...and there's a boatload of fees stacked atop fees above that...uniform fees, registration fees, tournament fees, roster fees...it goes on and on. Needless to say, pretty much the only kids who can afford to play after U12 or so are the rich kids.

If you don't want to play for them, well, tough. Your options are smaller clubs like Carolina FC or Easley or CASA (Clemson-Anderson) and you'll be driving awhile...and they're set up mostly the same way, just somewhat less expensive.

Which is why the pool drops out dramatically after Rec level. In the meantime there's a big, big pool of really technically talented Latino street-ballers in Greenville...who mostly play in backyards and old roller-skating rings on White Horse road in 5v5 matches because there's no fields available for them. Mind, there'd be plenty of quality games available locally if they could just find some fields, but access is slammed in their faces.

And you wonder why the American talent pool is so stagnant on the men's side...well, there you go.

That's slowly changing, as the pay-for-play system is gradually being displaced by pro academy systems from MLS and the USL that foot the bill. But until we let soccer return to its natural roots as the game of the poor man, the countries that actually have teams full of formerly poor street-ballers are going to continue to beat on us, and for exactly the same reason nobody can remotely match American basketball in Olympic play. Street ballers destroy non-street ballers because they need it. Hunger is everything in sports.

Women's soccer is different because of one reason: Title IX. Title IX gives the USA a truly massive pool of developed female athletes playing through their college years...whereas the rest of the world lags far, far behind in allocating any sort of resources for women's athletics. That's changing in Europe, and fairly quickly, as some of the established pro clubs like Arsenal and Man U and PSG and Lyon have started women's teams, but they're still far behind the USA in terms of number of girls playing.

Re: As I might be the board aficionado about all things US soccer, both men and women

Jun 17, 2019, 7:22 AM [ in reply to Re: As I might be the board aficionado about all things US soccer, both men and women ]

I'm not a soccer fanatic or really even a casual fan, but I suspect that in the men's vs. women's argument, it comes down to this: men's soccer has to compete for players from a very early age in 3 other juggernaut sports--football, basketball, baseball. With all due respect to women's basketball and softball, women's soccer has almost no competition for young players. WBB and softball are niche sports. Soccer is much broader, so it lands more women's talent.

The men's sport internationally is also far more developed, so our men are decades behind in program/institutional development (and it shows--our men's national program is a disaster IMO). Women's soccer is still a fairly new phenomenon and we got in ahead of the curve.

You're absolutely right, but our women dominate in every team sport

Jun 17, 2019, 7:38 AM

Basketball, softball, soccer, hockey, etc.

We give Asian countries ping pong and badminton.

Our women are great at sport b/c the US doesn't suppress women. That's true about all nations that are powerhouses in women's team sport.

Re: You're absolutely right, but our women dominate in every team sport

Jun 17, 2019, 7:52 AM

That's a good point about dominating in every women's sport. I guess it's because women's sport in general is still a relatively new development, whereas the men's 3 major sports have a decades-long head start on men's soccer.

Re: You're absolutely right, but our women dominate in every team sport

Jun 17, 2019, 7:53 AM [ in reply to You're absolutely right, but our women dominate in every team sport ]

Could be ostarine . Women use a lot of shampoo .

DB23

Point and game. True lol***

Jun 17, 2019, 8:05 AM

The US doesn't suppress women ?

Jun 17, 2019, 8:08 AM [ in reply to You're absolutely right, but our women dominate in every team sport ]

My Facebook feed has determined that is a lie .

DB23

I'm 100% behind equal pay for equal play and look forward...

Jun 17, 2019, 8:12 AM

to women trying out for the men's leagues. Until then, make me a sammich, not you, @Tigerdug23®, but them - they know whom they be.

Waiting still...

Re: The US doesn't suppress women ?

Jun 17, 2019, 12:27 PM [ in reply to The US doesn't suppress women ? ]

That's because there are too many coots on Facebook and they don't wash their hair!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 17, 2019, 8:22 AM [ in reply to Re: As I might be the board aficionado about all things US soccer, both men and women ]

because of one simple reason: title IX. It forced universities to pour money into women's sports, and one of the results of that has been that we have an international women's soccer team that is actually incredibly fun to watch and that can beat the brakes off 90% of the competition. The men's side sucks because men's soccer isn't developed in this country the way American football or basketball are. If our inner cities were filled with kids kicking a soccer ball around, rather than shooting a basketball into a chain net, we'd have a world-class men's side in a couple of decades, because universities would start pouring money into their soccer programs and professional money would start to make it an attractive career for kids with talent to aspire to.

Jun 17, 2019, 3:26 PM

Yup. This. Posted something similar myself.

Because the other sports steals the talent.***

Jun 17, 2019, 9:08 AM [ in reply to Re: As I might be the board aficionado about all things US soccer, both men and women ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 17, 2019, 11:25 AM [ in reply to Re: As I might be the board aficionado about all things US soccer, both men and women ]

MLS and USSF are too tied at the hip for the USMNT to ever get better. Look at the coaching search, it dragged on for so long and we ended up with an ex-MLS guy when we could have had the foreign coach who made ATL UTD into a successful team overnight. Even WCQ failures like Altidore and Bradley are still being called up.

The USWNT is a completely other deal. There's no overarching professional league hindering the program.

Altidore and Bradley still warrant call-ups.

Jun 17, 2019, 1:17 PM

Like it or not, Altidore's still our best option at striker when he's fit. We have some promising youngsters coming along right now, but they are all still teenagers.

Our top forward prospects right now are Josh Sargent (19), Tim Weah (19), and Giovanni Reyna (17). I was hoping to see Sargent called up for this Gold Cup, but he didn't make the roster. I think we will see him on the USMNT soon though.

Many of our top talents are playing overseas right now though, so i don't think there will be that big of a connection between the USMNT and MLS here soon.

Re: Altidore and Bradley still warrant call-ups.

Jun 17, 2019, 2:35 PM

They seem like they deserve it because "nobody has taken their job", but IMO they were part of the WCQ problem, so replace all the old guard. Even Omar Gonzalez got called up, and he's been terrible in Mexico, but he's now with Toronto.

You say that about MLS not being a thing going forward, but there's no guarantees. Meanwhile, Tata Martino is undefeated with Mexico.

It is possible. It wouldn't be soccer without some

Jun 17, 2019, 2:49 PM

cronyism.

Jun 17, 2019, 2:22 PM [ in reply to Re: As I might be the board aficionado about all things US soccer, both men and women ]

Less competition. Title IX and being able to pay 60+ people a liveable wage to be in the national team pool year round was automatically better infrastructure than 99% of the rest of the world. Europe's monster clubs are starting to invest more in Women's soccer as a loss leader, so I wouldn't be surprised if the big European teams catch the U.S. over the long term.

On the flipside, there is a fully professional men's league in basically every country in the world that all produce their own players, so there are substantially more men making a living playing soccer then women. Even in our poor region, the Men's team is playing a full squad of professional soccer players in any meaningful competition. As long as MLS is a mediocre league that's mediocre at developing talent, the men's team will be mediocre. There isn't much the US Fed can do to successfully compete with professional leagues with professional soccer academies. TBH, I'm surprised we have had as much "success" as we have.

would rather watch "face the nation" reruns.***

Jun 17, 2019, 1:08 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic