Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Players ducking bowls ain't right
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

Players ducking bowls ain't right

Dec 22, 2018, 12:32 PM

If the argument is injury prevention.. then duck all the cupcake games too. And duck the non-CFP games your fr, so, junior year.

Either you're on the team and a Clemson man , or not.

Like CDS says, we can't live in a bubble.

If you're talent laden, but insurance and pay prem with future earnings. Spot the ball.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

id agree with you if they actually got paid

Dec 22, 2018, 12:34 PM

in college but they dont..cant fault a guy who is set to make millions for not wanting to risk it in some third rate bowl game that means nothing but some money for the school

Re: id agree with you if they actually got paid

Dec 22, 2018, 12:36 PM

Do you not consider a free education getting paid? I’m not being argumentative, but from my perspective they’re getting paid is all.

Message was edited by: tigersx4

that free education argument is tired..

Dec 22, 2018, 12:39 PM

they arent even allowed to get jobs ffs

Re: that free education argument is tired..

Dec 22, 2018, 12:41 PM

Maybe it’s “tired”, but it’s true. Just because you don’t agree doesn’t make it not true.

Dec 22, 2018, 2:50 PM

Keep in mind just because you think it is true it may not really be true in fact. If a kid chooses to sit out a Frozen Tundra Bowl as a sure draft pick it is fine by me. That 4 year ride pales in what he will make on that 1st contract.

Dec 22, 2018, 1:46 PM [ in reply to that free education argument is tired.. ]

They are able to get jobs.

Dec 22, 2018, 12:48 PM [ in reply to Re: id agree with you if they actually got paid ]

The education is certainly something, and I’m not necessarily for paying them money, but if after 3-5 years they want to sit out their final game and focus on their future then more power to them.

Also, in terms of things that are messed up as an example. A college player isn’t allowed to sell merchandise or make money off their name, but an example I’ve seen lately was this guy on a Clemson Facebook page last week was selling Hunter Renfrow shirts he designed. So Renfrow isn’t allowed to make a dime off his name, but some random jackoff can do so without giving a penny to Renfrow(not allowed anyway) or even to Clemson?

yup..also lets be real people arent buying 16

Dec 22, 2018, 12:49 PM

jerseys just because..they are buying them because lawrence wears it.and again they arent even allowed to get employment

Dec 22, 2018, 12:54 PM [ in reply to Re: id agree with you if they actually got paid ]

Huh? Not being paid? Four years at Clemson is easily worth 50K. Then throw in meals, facilities, and inumerable other perks and you can add another 5K. Then, the coaching and exposure that preps one to make millions in the NFL. How many of our players would be going to Dallas for at least a week, staying at a first-class hotel, and eating like kings? Could any of them afford the training and projection onto the national TV stage thaat the the university provides. People WANT to play college football, for good reasons. Sports is the glue that brings many of these kids into higher education, and Clemson does an excellent of maximizing that potential.

Dec 22, 2018, 4:11 PM

You may be somewhat off with your numbers but I get your point .
The cost is probably more like $40,000 per year .(at least if you're out of state )

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 22, 2018, 12:54 PM [ in reply to Re: id agree with you if they actually got paid ]

They are totally getting paid. Education, plus housing, utilities, food, free medical, clothing, coaching and development, tutors, free marketing for future career, professional training, plus a monthly guaranteed stipend of $400-500 per month.

This is all provided at an after tax rate. When this is added up and calculated at correct tax rate, the average D1 football schollied student athlete is making a minimum annual salary of $120,000. That isn't too bad straight out of High School with minimal career skills. Some schools are valued much higher up in the $150-180k rate dependant upon degree value, facilities and quality of housing.

Dec 22, 2018, 1:11 PM

Amen. I totally agree. This is the best deal that most of these kids will ever get in their lives.

along with access to world class nutrition, weight....

Dec 22, 2018, 3:19 PM [ in reply to Re: id agree with you if they actually got paid ]

facilities, nike/adidas/underarmour clothing, free marketing of their skills, etc. I'd say they are being compensated for their services.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 22, 2018, 3:54 PM [ in reply to Re: id agree with you if they actually got paid ]

If you consider the time they condition, train, practice, travel, etc. etc, they might be making minimum wage.

No i don't. The value of an education varies greatly from person to person

Dec 22, 2018, 4:15 PM [ in reply to Re: id agree with you if they actually got paid ]

Some of these guys would probably trade 100k worth of tuition for a couple grand of real cash. You can't help your family pay their bills with free tuition and athletic apparel.

Re: Players ducking bowls ain't right

Dec 22, 2018, 12:35 PM

actually you can live in a bubble. until you use all the air. or cut a really bad one. ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 22, 2018, 12:42 PM

Everyone always brings up insurance, but it’s obvious those doing so haven’t bothered to read the details of these insurance policies. It’s very hard to qualify for payment on one, and they pay out a very low percentage of lost salary compared to what a player would’ve potentially earned.

So it's just like insurance for anything else? You get

Dec 22, 2018, 1:01 PM

pennies on the dollar and it is a high bar to jump to even get the pennies?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lattimore and Robert Edwards are perfect examples of that***

Dec 22, 2018, 1:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Players ducking bowls ain't right ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 22, 2018, 12:44 PM

I support them. These meanibless bowls are overglorafied exhibitions. Let some other players get some work for next season. Stay healthy and enjoy your life. I completely support them.

Dec 22, 2018, 1:16 PM

Okay, I agree with you. On the flip side, these bowls are massive free publicity for these players. Paying for this kind of publicity in the private sector would cost hundreds of thousands. Maybe stars don't need it, but for the more average player trying to get noticed, they can be invaluable.

Dec 22, 2018, 3:57 PM

NFL scouts watch regular season.

Dec 22, 2018, 5:55 PM [ in reply to Re: Players ducking bowls ain't right ]

Exactly. Players who want to sit out and leave...go ahead. Even more playing/practice time for the new guys. I'm not going to feel sorry for the ESPN execs. They will still get their ratings for their second and third and fourth tier bowls.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All these lower-tier bowl games exist mainly to make money

Dec 22, 2018, 12:47 PM

for someone, and that someone isn't the players. They're played roughly a month after the regular season has ended. I can understand guys who aren't coming back the next year not wanting to stick around for a relatively meaningless game when they could be getting a head start on the next phase of their lives (their careers, the reason they went to college in the first place).

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: All these lower-tier bowl games exist mainly to make money

Dec 22, 2018, 12:54 PM

All of this. Also, maybe they want to spend the holidays with their families before starting the long journey towards the NFL? Maybe they want to sign with an agent and get a payment advance so they can get Momma something nice for Christmas?

I’m not saying he’d do so but let’s pretend we missed the CFP this year and Wilkins decided to sit out the bowl and get ready for the draft. The guy came back for his senior year to help this team make another championship run after already helping this team win so much the 3 years before. Would you really consider him selfish suddenly for focusing on his future after our championship chances ended?

Re: All these lower-tier bowl games exist mainly to make money

Dec 22, 2018, 1:05 PM [ in reply to All these lower-tier bowl games exist mainly to make money ]

I agree. And there are too many bowls, but I guess our appetite for football is such that these games are marketable. I only played HS football, but played game too many. It only takes one play. I now have a steel and titanium knee. It always hurts, is stiff in the mornings, cause me to walk off balance, which messes up my lower back. Would I play again? Yeah.

It certainly diminishes the concept of commitment

Dec 22, 2018, 1:08 PM

to team, and all of the good that comes with that. Not only the ways in which it contributes to to the success of any given football team, but more importantly, the ways that much bigger lesson carries over into other areas of life. As far as I'm concerned, that much is indisputable, and it's a sad and tragic trend.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: It certainly diminishes the concept of commitment

Dec 22, 2018, 1:35 PM

It's the all-mighty dollar. I think it seduces the best of us. College football is a business, with head coaches making more money than the CEO's of major corporations. And yet now they CEO"s. Our D. coordinator makes right at 2 million a year, not including other payments and related subsidies. Our head coach, easily 7 million. Are they worth it? In my opinion, yes. Like it or not,this has become our brand. Football brings in millions to Clemson. It provides us additional millions in free TV publicity, nationwide. Online, we were recently described as the "it" university. And somehow, we maintain high academic standards.

Oh, I understand all of that. I still regret what we are

Dec 22, 2018, 2:36 PM

losing in the process.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Ok which of the 47 bowl games are we upset about?

Dec 22, 2018, 2:45 PM

And why are you so concerned when it's not affecting you or your lively hood that a young man decides to skip a "meaningless" bowl game? Or as some call it a meaningles exhibition game? I'm going to side every time with the player who knows he doesn't get anything but risk of injury playing those kinds of bowl games.

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic